U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 59,349 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are currently looking at houses, must have a boat and lift for DH . We have stretched from Ocean Isle to Oak Island to now looking in the New Bern area, specifically Fairfield Harbour.

We have not been to the area, so we are beginning this journey via Zillow. We do plan to get up there before we do anything.

My question is, without bothering a real estate agent, as we are in the very early stages of looking, how else would I know if a house has been flooded?

Some listings do note that house was or was not flooded. I find it hard to believe that one house is basically washed away, yet another house that is one block over was not flooded. Both are water-front homes on Neuse River. The house that did not flood does not mention being on a higher lot, as some due. I can understand that.

I go to each counties property websites, to see who has pulled permits on the property in question. It seems as if in NC, property permits are not recorded.

I am hoping for some sort of data-base that contains all this info, in a nice neat package, but I know I'm dreaming.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, New Bern has a pretty high crime rate - is that true, when you're living there, day to day. Statistics are only numbers, so I find it hard to believe that there are expensive, or waterfront homes in an area with such high crime.

Again, any help is appreciated.
k
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 09:59 AM

628 posts, read 234,342 times
When you say "property permits" do you mean building permits? If so, then yes, they are typically not available via an online search. A cal or email to the building inspectors office would mot likely enable you to confirm the existence of permits, and probably get a copy. But I'm not sure how much benefit that will be...a building permit is unlikely to provide information as to whether the house was flooded, and of course people remodel houses all the time that haven't been flooded.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:34 AM

I’m sorry, yes I meant building permits. I will call the town's city hall and see what they might know on a property we are interested - the next time one gets posted!

Just got a Zillow listing, house was In FH was just reduced again 10K, since listing in March. Last time it sold (maybe - it’s listed as taken off market). It was priced at 59K. Inside of house, built in 1983, is brand new from the floors on up. Absolutely gorgeous, within an old house. Dock is brand new.

I’m thinking this is a flood house!

I’m thinking we might look elsewhere, but, I realize anywhere along the coast is ripe for getting hit by the next storm. Are there any towns that have water access, while maybe bc of their location, puts them at a lower risk of getting hit? A marina in Southport notes they are in a naturally protected harbor. DH doesn’t want a marina. I’m just using that as an example of what I mean by a naturally protected harbor or area.

TIA,
K

Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,843,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLGAL View Post
I’m sorry, yes I meant building permits. I will call the town's city hall and see what they might know on a property we are interested - the next time one gets posted!

Just got a Zillow listing, house was In FH was just reduced again 10K, since listing in March. Last time it sold (maybe - it’s listed as taken off market). It was priced at 59K. Inside of house, built in 1983, is brand new from the floors on up. Absolutely gorgeous, within an old house. Dock is brand new.

I’m thinking this is a flood house!

I’m thinking we might look elsewhere, but, I realize anywhere along the coast is ripe for getting hit by the next storm. Are there any towns that have water access, while maybe bc of their location, puts them at a lower risk of getting hit? A marina in Southport notes they are in a naturally protected harbor. DH doesn’t want a marina. I’m just using that as an example of what I mean by a naturally protected harbor or area.

TIA,
K
Many of the homes in Fairfield Harbour were significantly damaged by Hurricane Florence. Last time I drove through there I couldn't help but notice the amount of older homes being reconstructed. Many residents were still living out of RV's parked in their driveways.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM

88 posts, read 75,753 times
We used to have a home in Fairfield Harbour so I can answer a few questions for you. About the crime rate- I never saw any. Fairfield Harbour is gated and pretty safe. We had a home on Northwest Creek with a dock. I don't know if any rules have changed but you were not allowed to put a boat lift on Northwest Creek. And I can't think of any homes in Fairfield Harbor that were directly on the Neuse River. Homes were either on Northwest Creek, Broad Creek or on the canals within the development.

We sold our home prior to Florence, but we do keep in touch with neighbors. Our home was on pilings and did not sustain any damage. The dock had minor damage. However, ours was a relatively new home. Most older homes were built prior to flood requirements and unfortunately were not built up high enough and flooded. Fairfield Harbour received significant damage. People were being rescued on their roofs in the middle of the night. It was a nightmare for those people that stayed. We had water under our house, though. The mark was about 3 feet up on the pilings for Irene and we were out of power for several weeks. Not sure what it was for Florence. People who opted to rebuild after Florence had to raise the level of their homes or not be able to get insurance. I think it's very difficult to judge an area from Zillow or any other site. You need to come and look at the areas in person. We are in Southport now- not on the water. We definitely miss having our boat and dock right out the back door, but absolutely love the town and conveniences.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Just looked up the home I think you are referring to, and yes, that area flooded quite badly where it is built. It was probably flooded and I'd be very wary of buying anything there not on pilings.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM

Thanks so much for the info on FH. PinkJewel, if the house u saw was address 6000 xxxx, then you found what I found!

We do plan to visit the area, right now we are both still working, and don't have time to get up there.

I was kind of afraid of the area bc the houses seem to stay on the market for a long time.

Unfortunately, if I can't find somewhere for him to put his dock/lift behind the house, I might have to go to FL!!

He's finding what he wants in Merritt Island, FL, which apparently is far enough north that those giant lizard-like animals, whose name is escaping me.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 AM
LLN

5,177 posts, read 9,370,564 times
The vast majority of crime in New Bern is in pretty well defined areas. And like most southern towns, good areas and not so good areas can be side by side.

The first few years we were here, I kept track of how many bodies (dead) were found within 1000 yards of our house. I got up to 12, I think, then stopped. That sounds horrid, but all but one were across a major street and railroad tracks. I’d say I got 99 problems but crime ain’t one. Fingers crossed. Several years ago we had our cars keyed twice. The whole neighborhood did. The perp was known, but the NB Police did nothing (that would be a whole separate thread). However, our Neighborhood watch guy (ex-E8 Marine)had a talk with the guy’s family. There has been no keying since.

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but I’m amazed FFH gets away as a New Bern address. It seems really far away. And, though not necessarily a bad thing, I’ve never seen more deer on the road than on the one to FFH. If you drive down, especially at dusk or night, be alert.

Don’t know your budget but a lot of homes on the Trent River have boat lifts, but I expect they flooded as well.

Our house did not flood, though water got to the extreme corner of our lot. I think they have amended the flood zones, but water was more or less perfectly aligned with the previous 9 foot flood area.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Thanks LLN. It looked like the city of NB was pretty far from FFH. After I told my husband what was posted to me yesterday, he said FFH is off the table. I was concerned bc houses seemed to sit for a long time. Could have been over-priced, but I don't know. Add in the flood concerns, which of course are going to be an issue anywhere on the shore, and I just don't get a warm and fuzzy for that subdivision.

I will look at Trent River - if that is up the Oriental way.

I'm leaning towards further down the NC coast, he's now leaning towards Merritt Island, FL. Maybe he'll visit!!!

Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Yes, that is the house I thought you were referring to. There are actually lots of places in North Carolina where your hubby can have a dock and boat lift... just depends on budget-lol. You can actually have a boat lift in Fairfield Harbor- just not on Northwest Creek. We ended up buying in Southport, but not on the water. We miss our dock, but love the town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina