Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,048 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My parents, husband, brother, and I all plan on moving to North Carolina next spring. My husband and I have been to North Carolina many times, mostly Outer Banks area. We currently live in Pennsylvania and I am thrilled to leave the cold winters behind. We are going to sell our homes and move in together to make the move easier.

We want to be within 45 minutes of the beach and are open to any town/city. Our biggest concern is finding jobs and if it is family-friendly. My parents are also concerned about hurricanes which is why we are looking for something in-land a bit. We wouldn't mind traveling 30 minutes to work but we'd rather not have to drive farther than that.

Any advice is appreciated!! Thank you!

Edit: Thank you for the response, Stede! I figured I'd add what type of jobs we were hoping to find.
I am currently a Clerk for the County Assistance Office but I am in college to get a Medical Coding certificate.
My husband is a Mechanic but has a lot of management experience so he has some leeway with different jobs.
My dad has been a farmer his whole life which is partially why we are moving, they are selling their farm so he doesn't have a lot of experience in the work force. An entry level, relaxed job is what I'm hoping for him.
My brother likes farm work or would love to work at a golf course if possible and my mom is on disability.

Last edited by 95slyons; 07-15-2020 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Adding Job Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM

628 posts, read 399,483 times
The only real job center on the coast is Wilmington and its economy is largely built on healthcare and tourism, with smatterings of tech, manufacturing, etc. Jacksonville and New Bern might be possibilities, but they don't have robust job situations. Greenville is 2 hours from the ocean beaches, so if you're willing to stretch your drives a bit its a possibility.

The type of jobs you're looking for will be very important.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
OP - It is going to be hard to find jobs in County governments unless you have been a resident, so the education with medical coding will be very important.

In additiona to the above suggestions, you could also look at the Fayetteville/Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. It is more like 2.5 hours to the beach, but it is well away from hurricanes and flooding. The Army at Fort Bragg and the VA Hospital would be potential sources of jobs for the mechanic and the medical coder both. Plenty of golf course maintenance jobs for the brother. Plus there is great medical care and recreation for the older family members.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-15-2020 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 11:57 AM

275 posts, read 330,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
OP - It is going to be hard to find jobs in County governments unless you have been a resident, so the education with medical coding will be very important.

In additiona to the above suggestions, you could also look at the Fayetteville/Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. It is more like 2.5 hours to the beach, but it is well away from hurricanes and flooding. The Army at Fort Bragg and the VA Hospital would be potential sources of jobs for the mechanic and the medical coder both. Plenty of golf course maintenance jobs for the brother. Plus there is great medical care and recreation for the older family members.
That part is not true. I know Fayetteville had major flooding problems during Matthew and Florence. It really doesn't matter how far inland in the coastal plains you go, if you are there or in Piedmont, you are gonna feel the effects of a hurricane whether if it is high winds or flooding.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
I'm kinda sniffin' in this general area to hang my hat too.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:54 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Elizabethtown Lumberton Whiteville

Old 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Elizabethtown Lumberton Whiteville
None of which are within 45 minutes of the beach (although Whiteville is close), none have good enough schools to be considered "family friendly", and none have vibrant job opportunities.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
If NC gets hit by a big hurricane it can come all the way across the state to the mountains.

Anywhere 45 miles inland from the coast is highly susceptible to flooding. Witness the
fish clean up on I-40 after Hurrricane Florence. That was near Wallace, NC, which is 40-50 miles from the beach.

Eastern NC is F-L-A-T FLAT and rivers crest and the floods spread out to cover wide areas. In the mountains, the flash flooding is quicker and faster. In eastern NC it can be fast or it can be a slow, devastating spread.

So my advice would be to give up on this:
Quote:
My parents are also concerned about hurricanes which is why we are looking for something in-land a bit.
You can just leave if a hurricane is coming. It's not like they sneak up on you. We watch them for days or weeks. There is a big storm out there now, that is likely to get a name soon. If it looks like one will come, you can leave town. You will have to get extra insurance, though. Factor that in.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
......There is a big storm out there now, that is likely to get a name soon. If it looks like one will come, you can leave town. You will have to get extra insurance, though. Factor that in.
We evacuated from Florence and went to Lee County, 2 hours inland. Then we could not get back home because I-40 was flooded. There are low spots along I-40 because the builders did not elevate it high enough above the rivers. We were stuck sleeping on the floor of a high-school gymnasium for several days. We will never again evacuate, especially with the current virus risk.

OP- If you want to live by the coast, find the highest lot you can find, and buy a generator. Keep enough emergency supplies to get you through 2 weeks without public electricity.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We evacuated from Florence and went to Lee County, 2 hours inland. Then we could not get back home because I-40 was flooded. There are low spots along I-40 because the builders did not elevate it high enough above the rivers. We were stuck sleeping on the floor of a high-school gymnasium for several days. We will never again evacuate, especially with the current virus risk.

OP- If you want to live by the coast, find the highest lot you can find, and buy a generator. Keep enough emergency supplies to get you through 2 weeks without public electricity.
For me, it depends on the strength of the hurricane. Cat 1 or 2; I'm staying. Cat 3; depends on the projected track. Cat 4 or higher; definitely leaving. But when I leave, I'll be going to a friend's or family's home, not a hotel or shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina