Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 17,720 times

Advertisements

We have a beach home in Brunswick County. It is absolutely Mayberry with the laid back feeling. I actually lived in the Beach home when attending UNCW. It would be great if they widen 211 ( 4 lanes) out to HWY 17 and widen the other road(?187) from Southport to Leland.
The worst thing about Southport is getting out of the traffic during the July 4th fireworks. In 20 yrs LongBeach has taken a big hit on the appeal to go to it over Holden Beach though. I'm pretty sure results of the Hurricanes in the last 15 yrs is part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,943 times
Angry Boring

In my opinion Southport is so boring theres nothing to do, it may have a splashworld but it costs a fortune to get in + you can never get on the slides coz the ques are so long waiting for a rubber ring.
Overall southport is boring and a rubbish place for children of anyage.

p.s Bad for me , i live in southport

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM

107 posts, read 282,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopin View Post
In my opinion Southport is so boring theres nothing to do, it may have a splashworld but it costs a fortune to get in + you can never get on the slides coz the ques are so long waiting for a rubber ring.
Overall southport is boring and a rubbish place for children of anyage.

p.s Bad for me , i live in southport
Where is there a splashworld in Southport?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

214 posts, read 819,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
Where is there a splashworld in Southport?

There is no "Splashworld" in SPT, I think she's on the wrong forum.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 AM

107 posts, read 282,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
There is no "Splashworld" in SPT, I think she's on the wrong forum.
Thats what I thought. Been here for the last 13 years, thought they stuck something in somewhere.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
I'll be looking to get a retirememt cottage or small land to build one in southport. Would anyone living there please tell me if it is safe for a single senior lady to live there by herself? I'm thinking of driving down from upstate NY and want to find out if Memorial day week would be a good time to visit and explore the area. Most of these posts are several years old- what happened to the container port construction?
Ash

Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Soyadi View Post
I'll be looking to get a retirememt cottage or small land to build one in southport. Would anyone living there please tell me if it is safe for a single senior lady to live there by herself? I'm thinking of driving down from upstate NY and want to find out if Memorial day week would be a good time to visit and explore the area. Most of these posts are several years old- what happened to the container port construction?
Ash
You might want to start another thread. I am an older woman and I would feel perfectly safe living by myself in Southport. There are many reasonably priced resale homes and condos, so you don't really have to build from scratch. If fact, with the decline in real estate values since 2007, resales are a better deal than new homes.

Regarding the container port, I'll just quote a Wikipedia article: "In his March 27, 2013 presentation of "The Future of NC Ports", Jeff Miles, acting executive director of the N.C. State Ports Authority, put into words the authority’s current approach to competing with other East Coast ports. “Charleston, Norfolk and Savannah today are just behemoth container operators,” he said. “Engaging in an arms race with those guys is a prescription for a serious loss. We just can’t go toe-to-toe with them today.”[6]

I am assuming the port is on hold because it would not be cost-competititve.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
"Southport for families?" No

Old 05-19-2013, 09:56 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
Used to teach in the Southport area. If your kids are not fishing and going to the beach, there is not a lot to do, and with that comes a lot of bad things. Though not noticeable and not in the public eye, the idle middle schoolers and high schoolers often succumbed to less than desirable activity. It is not a lot worse than anywhere else, but it is not nirvana.

Example: one middle schooler told me she had spent most of the weekend riding a mechanical bull in front of a bar, I think on Oak Island, while men kept throwing buckets of water on her. Several girls in class, stated "Yeah, we have done that, too!"

Gulp!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,792,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You might want to start another thread. I am an older woman and I would feel perfectly safe living by myself in Southport. There are many reasonably priced resale homes and condos, so you don't really have to build from scratch. If fact, with the decline in real estate values since 2007, resales are a better deal than new homes.

Regarding the container port, I'll just quote a Wikipedia article: "In his March 27, 2013 presentation of "The Future of NC Ports", Jeff Miles, acting executive director of the N.C. State Ports Authority, put into words the authority’s current approach to competing with other East Coast ports. “Charleston, Norfolk and Savannah today are just behemoth container operators,” he said. “Engaging in an arms race with those guys is a prescription for a serious loss. We just can’t go toe-to-toe with them today.”[6]

I am assuming the port is on hold because it would not be cost-competititve.
The Port still owns the property but there is no plan to develop it right now. IMO, its immaterial if they did develop it, because it would be an automated port and wouldn't require that many jobs. I think that and the fact that infrastructure is not in place (its not really in place in Wilmington either) to get trucks in and out of that area are the big problems. Miles quote solidifies that the ports are looking in other directions for business and not going down the automated (container) route right now. It may eventually be an expanded area for raw materials.

Southport is a safe area...as much as any area is truly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina