Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any current information on this development? My husband and I live in Ohio and are considering moving to SE NC in 2-3 years. We're not totally sold on 55+ developments but would prefer a gated community with a good proportion of retirees so that we can connect with others at our stage of life. Neither of us golf so that is not a concern (and we'd prefer not to pay for golf course upkeep with our HOA dues). Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggyalto View Post
Does anyone have any current information on this development? My husband and I live in Ohio and are considering moving to SE NC in 2-3 years. We're not totally sold on 55+ developments but would prefer a gated community with a good proportion of retirees so that we can connect with others at our stage of life. Neither of us golf so that is not a concern (and we'd prefer not to pay for golf course upkeep with our HOA dues).
Summerhouse has fully developed amenities but has very few houses built. (Google maps has a recent aerial with less than 100 houses.) There is just little demand for the location in Holly Ridge. It may eventually have more houses.

I suggest you consider other options, especially the plantations in Brunswick County. None of them are legally 55+ communities, although they have a majority of retirees. St James and Compass Pointe are gated, Brunswick Plantation, Waterford of the Carolinas and Magnolia Greens are not gated. I also suggest you read the many posts about other communities in Brunswick County. Also check out CarolinaPlantations.com .

We live near Summerhouse in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. It is gated, and has about 20% retirees and empty-nesters. There rest are young militiry.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,844 times
Thank you goldenage1, unfortunately you've confirmed my gut feeling. Such a beautiful place but I'm concerned that the area will ever fully develop and if it didn't that certainly would cause headaches. I appreciate your input!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:49 AM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Summerhouse has many, many more than 100 houses in it and is growing rapidly.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 AM

77 posts, read 144,299 times
We are from PA and were looking around Surf City for a 2nd to become retirement home. A local realtor took us "out" to Summerhouse. She didn't even have much to say to talk it up, oddly. Really seemed out of the way, desolate, and deserted. Sure looked beautiful inside the encampment but what is there to do when you're on release?

Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 AM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
We are from PA and were looking around Surf City for a 2nd to become retirement home. A local realtor took us "out" to Summerhouse. She didn't even have much to say to talk it up, oddly. Really seemed out of the way, desolate, and deserted. Sure looked beautiful inside the encampment but what is there to do when you're on release?
Its 10 minutes from grocery stores, restaurants, etc. and 15 minutes from the beach. Some people consider that "close", some consider that "remote". Personal opinion, I guess.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Really seemed out of the way, desolate, and deserted. Sure looked beautiful inside the encampment but what is there to do when you're on release?
Holly Ridge is the least developed town between Wilmington and Jacksonville. With a little driving you can find things to do. Summerhouse has a beautiful clubhouse. There probably enough residents to begin organizing potluck dinners, or starting clubs and classes. Holly Ridge has the VFW with a shooting range and it sponsors social events. Surf City has a community center that does basketball, volleyball and T-ball leagues. Sneads Ferry has a little theater group that puts on several plays a year. It also has a quilt guild meeting at a church.

The various churches have Bible study, fellowship and maintenance projects. Some of my neighbors volunteer with Habitat for Humanity or do dog rescue. Master Gardeners sponsor classes and field trips. You could rent movies and invite your neighbors for a party. There are numerous decent restaurants in Surf City, and some sponsor events like live music and Karaoke or quiz nights.

There is a good fitness center in Hampstead with an indoor pool. Some local golf courses are open to the public. Then the libraries have book clubs and other events.

BTW, the new Publix grocery store is great, and there are options at the Food Lion and Walmart. The Surf City retail environment has improved a lot in the past seven years we have been here. Holly Ridge will probably see improvements also.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-18-2019 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: more thoughts

Old 01-06-2021, 09:21 AM

I think that Summerhouse is becoming more attractive. I would consider it if I wanted to downsize, and I would recommend it to retirees. Logan and Windsor are building attractive models with the master BR and most of the living space on the first floor. Legacy by Bill Clark is also building similar models, although there is criticism of this builder.

The limitations of Holly Ridge are still a factor, as groceries, medical care and restaurants are 7+ miles away in Surf City or 5.5 miles in Sneads Ferry.

For retirees, I suggest looking at models like these:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M69937-50032
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M98522-52467
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M99924-06832

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-06-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-07-2021, 03:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Typical for newer developments in that area. Even others near to Summerhouse are a bit sparse in areas. Ten years from now it will be totally different.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Typical for newer developments in that area. Even others near to Summerhouse are a bit sparse in areas. Ten years from now it will be totally different.
One other positive development about "things to do" in Holly Ridge is that the VFW is serving dinners. You can do take-out also if you are a member.

One positive about Holly Ridge is that it is mid-way between Jacksonville and Wilmington. It is good for a two-commuter family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina