Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 11,994 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving my husband (scary!) and I currently live in Pittsburgh. I have a marketing degree, but I’ve been working in retail part time since I graduated. My parents live in Oak Island, so I will be moving to be with them because I have no family left in Pittsburgh. I am 36. Parents will be helping me out with housing. Jobs-I’m expecting something in retail in Shallotte possibly for the beginning. I have no doubts I could be a key holder or manager. Possibly even try to get into the post office. Is a commute to Shallotte realistic? I am very familiar with North Myrtle Beach-and have multiple connections there but I think that commute is too far. (An hour?) I am also looking at remote jobs that I could start now and relocate without changing jobs.

My big worry is isolation, is this a young town? How about neighboring Southport? I’d like to move on with my life and meet new people my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 09:52 AM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
The commute to Shallotte wouldn't be a big deal. its about 20 minutes. But the Oak Island/Southport area is retiree central. They aren't many people in your age range around.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
The commute to Shallotte wouldn't be a big deal. its about 20 minutes. But the Oak Island/Southport area is retiree central. They aren't many people in your age range around.
That was my worry lol. I’ll just have to see how everything goes I guess! I’m lucky I am able to have this help from my parents so it is what it is. And well, living at the beach!

Old 03-21-2021, 10:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Look to Wilmington for jobs instead. It's not that far, about 40 minutes. Much livelier area with people your age. Would not recommend Shallotte or Oak Island or Southport long term unless you like a sleepier little town. (Oak Island will get busy in the summer with tourists of course.)

Old 03-21-2021, 12:42 PM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
The commute to Wilmington would be much worse than to Shallotte. And wouldn't really solve the issue of lack of people her age in Oak Island.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
The jobs would be better in Wilmington. Shallotte is not going to have nearly the job opportunities. The median age in Wilmington 35.9, so she would also have the opportunity to be around and meet people her own age. The median age of folks in Shallotte is 55.7. To me that is all worth an extra 20 minutes on the commute. Presumably she doesn't want to live with her mom and dad in Oak Island forever, but even if she does 40 minutes is doable for a daily commute IMO. BTW the median age in Oak Island is 62.4; Southport 58.2. This data is readily available here on City-Data. //www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina.html

Old 03-21-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The jobs would be better in Wilmington. Shallotte is not going to have nearly the job opportunities. The median age in Wilmington 35.9, so she would also have the opportunity to be around and meet people her own age. The median age of folks in Shallotte is 55.7. To me that is all worth an extra 20 minutes on the commute. Presumably she doesn't want to live with her mom and dad in Oak Island forever, but even if she does 40 minutes is doable for a daily commute IMO. BTW the median age in Oak Island is 62.4; Southport 58.2. This data is readily available here on City-Data. //www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina.html
Thanks! Actually there is store that I currently work at with a Wilmington location, so perhaps I could transfer to it. Wilmington wouldn’t be bad to travel to for a social life. I will be visiting them in a month to get my feel for the area. My dad also suggested Leland for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina