Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 15,744 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm wanting to relocate within a year or so to NC. I've read all kinds of different reactions to places like Asheville and Waynesville. I'm hoping to give a little info on what I'm looking for when relocating and then getting some feedback from the locals on places that might fit my interests. So, I'm a single female, 26 yrs old and would be looking to buy a condo. I love the ocean but not sure if I could afford to live on the coast? I need to be in an area that has a city feel with things to do and places close by(neat restaurants and shopping), but not too cityish with too much traffice, noise, crime etc. I have a dog and we walk every day so a place that's animal friendly too helps. I also would like to be relatively close (10-15 miles) to where I would work which is in the social service field (children's services, mental health). Uniqueness is important to me in my surrounding, I enjoy the scenary of the mountains and the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
Wilmington is really the only city on the NC coast. It has everything you mention: restaurants, shopping, traffic, noise AND crime! :-) Downtown Wilmington is really the only area with any uniqueness. The outlying suburban sprawl is pretty bland. Lots of strip malls and car dealerships.

You may be able to afford to living Wilmington, or the surrounding suburbs of Brunswick or Pender counties. Living right at the beach, i.e., out on the barrier islands, would probably be unaffordable for you.

I like the climate here, and the beach. To my native New Englander's eyes, the scenery is kind of bleak. It all depends on what you're used to, I guess. No mountains around here. Not even any hills.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 68,642 times
If I were you I would check out Wilmington.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 14,949 times
Hi, I live in the Asheville area and just want to let you know that the cost of living is very high and the wages are low. The majority of the jobs are health care and service. Most of the people who work here can not afford to buy here. My husband is looking at a job in Wilmington so we may be heading that way ourselves. If that happens we will be selling our condo/townhouse. ;>)

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Just another note to let you know. Waynesville will not give you what you are looking for. The Asheville area would be more of what you want.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
missy, I would be leary about moving here if I were you. if you are looking to avoid high cost of living and poverty level wages, keep looking! I don't think wilmington is as bad as asheville, but it's got to be close. I would be looking at raleigh or charlotte if you want average paying jobs and average cost of living.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM

jmarquise, thank you for the advise. From what I have read Wilmington seems to be the coastal equivalent of Asheville and were it not for the job my husband is looking at we would not consider moving there. I would love the Raleigh/Cary area but unfortunately the only jobs my husband has been approached about in that area have been contract and we just can't see relocating for a contract job. So if the job doesn't work out we will not move to Wilmington for the exact reasons you mentioned. We already live in an area like that. Thanks Missy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina