Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2022, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 22,109 times

Advertisements

May be taking an assignment in Jacksonville and curious what it's like out there? Small town living or decent size and activities? For those aged 35 and up, are we out of place since the demographics show its one of the youngest cities in US? Is this a hurricane prone hotspot? Would you recommend this town as a good place to raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 02:22 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
My daughter lived there for a while, and hated it. The town is overrun with military personnel and tacky shops. If you’re in the military, you probably have no choice, but otherwise, it’s really not a very nice place to live, IMO. There’s always a hurricane risk, but not nearly as much as Florida or Louisiana.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:59 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
It can be a good place to raise a family if you would like to be near ocean beaches. Look at Swansboro or Sneads Ferry as small town alternatives. Look at Richlands if you would like to be out in the country with acreage. Jacksonville itself is not bad. It is safe and has average or better schools. You can find friends in the 35 plus age group. However Jacksonville does suffer from a transient population. It does suffer by comparison to the larger city of Wilmington, which has charm and more amenities.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 AM

A few other positives. The real estate is more reasonably priced compared to Wilmington, the Triangle and northern states. Houses for sale do move quickly in Sneads Ferry, because the Marines are moving a large unit to the area. For a Jacksonville house, you might look at older places in Northwoods. Some of my friends have stayed there after their military retirement.

If you need to meet people, look for the civic groups like Elks, VFW, DAR. The city is also working to provide better amenitiies.

BTW, there are many tattoo shops, bar and "gentlemens clubs", but you can ignore them. The young Marines, for the most part, are well-behaved.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
A few other positives. The real estate is more reasonably priced compared to Wilmington, the Triangle and northern states. Houses for sale do move quickly in Sneads Ferry, because the Marines are moving a large unit to the area. For a Jacksonville house, you might look at older places in Northwoods. Some of my friends have stayed there after their military retirement.

If you need to meet people, look for the civic groups like Elks, VFW, DAR. The city is also working to provide better amenitiies.

BTW, there are many tattoo shops, bar and "gentlemens clubs", but you can ignore them. The young Marines, for the most part, are well-behaved.

The tacky shops, bars, clubs, etc., are difficult to ignore because they’re everywhere. There’s lots of housing, but my impression is there’s little in terms of quality built housing, but I may have missed something. Jacksonville would be near the bottom of my list as a place to live. I’m not a fan of this area as a whole.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:00 PM

If the move would be an advancement for your career, don't let the negativity affect your decision. I have many friends satisfied with their lives in the Jacksonville area. I hope you have a chance to visit for yourself.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If the move would be an advancement for your career, don't let the negativity affect your decision. I have many friends satisfied with their lives in the Jacksonville area. I hope you have a chance to visit for yourself.
Absolutely, we have lived in undesirable areas before for career sake, but if you have other choices, I would seriously consider them. We are all different and value different things. Having said that, I would never move or accept a position there without visiting first.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:51 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,853,825 times
I think the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to Jacksonville.

Wages aren't bad and the cost of living is relatively low. Lots of folks commute to Jacksonville form Swansboro/Cape Carteret, Richlands, and Hampstead because all of the schools in those areas are better than in the city proper. New housing is being built in those three areas as well....Jacksonville itself is the commercial center, employment center (the Base) and has a declining housing condition. It is what it is.

In terms of Hurricanes, Jacksonville doesn't fare that bad because the Base covers all of the area nearest to the Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina