Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,579 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Rapid City, South Dakota and have my whole life. I am in desperate need of a change and my husband and I have been talking about moving for years. We have finally narrowed it down to North Carolina but I need some help deciding where.
I would like to be somewhat close to the ocean, within a few hours. Charlotte is way to big for me, I can't handle that kind of traffic.
I work in the service industry as a manager at a restaurant and plan to continue. My husband drives truck so that's not really an issue. I have a 14 year old son and a great Pyrenees dog.
ideally, I'm looking for a smaller town close to a bigger city. I love thrift stores and old buildings. We are more conservative politically. Obviously I would like a good school for my son. I can't think of anything else to mention.
So far I have been looking at Jacksonville, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Greensboro, and Greenville. I have come up with those places after looking for rentals. Would you recommend any of them? Or should I steer clear of any of them?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 06:54 AM

275 posts, read 330,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrae18 View Post
I currently live in Rapid City, South Dakota and have my whole life. I am in desperate need of a change and my husband and I have been talking about moving for years. We have finally narrowed it down to North Carolina but I need some help deciding where.
I would like to be somewhat close to the ocean, within a few hours. Charlotte is way to big for me, I can't handle that kind of traffic.
I work in the service industry as a manager at a restaurant and plan to continue. My husband drives truck so that's not really an issue. I have a 14 year old son and a great Pyrenees dog.
ideally, I'm looking for a smaller town close to a bigger city. I love thrift stores and old buildings. We are more conservative politically. Obviously I would like a good school for my son. I can't think of anything else to mention.
So far I have been looking at Jacksonville, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Greensboro, and Greenville. I have come up with those places after looking for rentals. Would you recommend any of them? Or should I steer clear of any of them?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Jacksonville is the one closest to the ocean (roughly 30 mins). It's ok overall, but it is a military town so you will also have to deal with everything that comes with it (planes flying by clubs, etc.). Jacksonville is kinda boring overall outside of Westen Blvd. and not a ton of great amenities overall. Schools are meh.

Fayetteville is also a military town, but it really shows out there. Fayetteville is connected to the hip with Fort Bragg, and if you're not military, you will find it boring here. Crime is also a problem in Fayetteville. The north side is really the only place in Fayetteville which is actually nice, not including nearby areas like Gray's Creek and Hope Mills, which those places aren't that bad. This place may work with your husband because I-95 is a major trucking route. Amenities are decent (ie theater near downtown), but for a city of 200,000, I would expect more. About 2 hours from the nearest beach. Schools are meh

Goldsboro is once again a military town (the last one I promise), and I practically was raised not far from Goldsboro, and honestly, this is probably the worst option on your list. Crime is worst in Goldsboro, has almost no amenities, and is usually known by people in the military as one of the worst places to be stationed at. About 1.5 hours to the nearest beach. Schools are terrible.

Greenville is a good option. It's also a college town (East Carolina). Safe overall (if you move to nearby Winterville), amenities is decent, and the Town Commons in uptown Greenville gives people a lot to do (trails, boating, fishing, hiking, etc.) Uptown Greenville is also a place where they have breweries, restaurants, a theater, etc. Only downside it traffic can be kind of hectic, especially on Friday afternoons. About 1.5 hours to the beach. Schools are ok.

The best option I see overall however is Greensboro. I went to college here, and if ever the right opportunity came I would defiantly move back. Great amenities (water park, museums, trails, lake parks, etc.), and great downtown (go to Elm St.). Crime is really the only thing holding this place back, but if that is an issue, they are nearby towns you can move to (ie Gibsonville). Plus your husband would do great here trucking since so many interstates go through Greensboro. Beach is also a downside being close to 3 hours, but the mountains are about 2.5 west. Schools are good for the most part.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:45 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrae18 View Post
......I would like to be somewhat close to the ocean, within a few hours. Charlotte is way to big for me, I can't handle that kind of traffic.
I work in the service industry as a manager at a restaurant and plan to continue. My husband drives truck so that's not really an issue. I have a 14 year old son and a great Pyrenees dog......
Mr ENC gave you an excellent summary of the cities you asked about. I will add a couple of suggestions.

Military towns typically mean there is a market for rental houses that are dog-friendly. Dogs are good protection and companionship when the service member is deployed. You might also check MilitaryByOwner for rentals.

I will also suggest Hampstead which is a suburb of Wilmington. It has very good schools and is close to the ocean. If the husband is licensed to haul mobile homes, there would be business in that market, going north on Interstate 40, or along US 17.

I have been in South Dakota over one winter and visited Rapid City. I think you will find it hard to get used to our hot, humid summers. It rarely goes above 100 degrees near the coast, but the humidity makes me lethargic.

If the husband would do interstate trucking, I would also suggest the towns around Bunn, Benson, Smithfield and Wilson which are along I-95.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
I have nothing to add as far as your town selection, we live on the coast of NC. I was mostly interested in your Pyrenees and how it might adjust to the change of climate here in NC.
I was delighted to find two Pyrenees rescue groups, one in western NC and one in Charlotte. As you narrow down your search you might want to contact these groups to get referrals for vets, doggie play groups etc.
Big Move! Best of luck!

Old 03-29-2022, 09:01 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
It may be hard to find a rental house which accepts large dogs. In my area one apartment complex has no weight limit, and it has a dog park. It is Evolve at Stones Bay in Sneads Ferry. It naturally has a wait list for some apartments. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:43 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
I am going to suggest Greenville, but the one in South Carolina. You'll be in the upstate region of the state, which is a little cooler than the coast, but only a couple hours from the beach. Large selection of restaurants, and you're not far from both Charlotte and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina