Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 34,715 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I have taken a job in Wilmington and I am in the process of finding an apartment. I think it is a very cute city, but the crime statistics concern me. Can someone tell me what parts of Wilmington are safe, and what parts I should stay out of? If anyone can recommend apartment complexes that would be great, too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,789,306 times
you should check into the ogden and monkey junction areas. cape harbor is in ogden and it's a gated complex. I would recommend that you live where you work though as traffic can be annoying. also depending on your budget, there is a complex in mayfaire, although I am sure it's overpriced.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 34,715 times
I'm going to be working downtown, so I'd like to live in that area. Which are the good sections and which areas should I stay out of downtown?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM

77 posts, read 245,438 times
Default Wilmington is dangerous

All sections near downtown are dangerous. The other day I was coming out of Wilmington on Wooster St. As I crossed the 8th St. intersection, I heard several gunshots.........pretty close. My best advice is keep your doors locked and your head down.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 AM

downtown is not dangerous. perhaps if you are afraid of your own shadow, then yes. but other than that, it's fine. you should go to craigs list and search for apartments downtown. there aren't any complexes. wilmington is tiny. you will have to rent a condo from someone if you want to live downtown. I would suggest living 3rd street and up, and in between orange and red cross streets.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM

698 posts, read 3,255,086 times
Unfortunately,dodgeguy is right.....all sections downtown are dangerous. This topic has been discussed many,many times on here and you can read prior posts on the subject.Sadly,nothing has changed except it has gotten worse because of all the gangs and drugs. If you want to feel safe in your home,stay away from downtown.Fortunately,since Wilmington is so small,you can live in a safer neighborhood in the suburbs and be downtown to work in only minutes.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM

hi florida15. I agree with you that you can get downtown pretty easy from other parts of town. I think it's easier from the north side using MLK though. you really think that front street is dangerous? I have never felt safe down there, no matter what time of day. there are always people out and about. the neighborhood of wooster and 8th is a bad area. I actually did a little research on this issue. did a search of crime by zip code so we could see what zip codes to avoid in wilmington. I was surprised at what I found. the safest zip code statistically in wilmington is 28403. that's the forest hills zip code. it is the safest by FAR. monkey junction is also a safe zip code (28409). the surprises came when I compared 28401, downtown, to other so called good zip codes. crime in 28411, ogden, is worse than it is in downtown. crime in 28443, hampstead, is by FAR the worst zip code for crime in the wilmington area. crime in this area is pretty isolated, a bad neighborhood is a bad neighborhood, no matter what zip code you are in.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM

414 posts, read 1,254,252 times
I agree, JMarquise. There are pockets in every zipcode. What's helpful is to research neighborhoods themselves. Not just with statistics, but visiting the neighborhoods at different times of day. Talk with neighbors etc. Choosing a new neighborhood is very proactive. At one time, I lived directly downtown in a renovated area. I never had a problem while there. Not sure if it's still "good" but it was nice to be downtown and walk everywhere.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM

The only thing about the zip code theory is the type of crime. Most of the crime in 28411 is property( car and home break-ins,vandalism,etc.) whereas downtown it's shootings,robbery,rapes,and murders.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 AM

I forgot to comment on Front Street.......Yes,things have happened there as well. Walking down the street sightseeing and shopping is one thing.....living there is another. Your home is suppose to be your safe haven and sancuary-you want find it downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina