Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 11:17 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
What are the CCR's? Is there a website that shows all the community and retail development since there is so much going on?

We worked with a realtor to look at gated communities and they didn't have any information just drove us around.
You may have to insist on a paper copy of the CCR from the Realtor. Developments often have a web site that only allows owners to sign on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 12:52 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Quote:
What are the CCR's? Is there a website that shows all the community and retail development since there is so much going on?

We worked with a realtor to look at gated communities and they didn't have any information just drove us around.
CC& R's are covenants, conditions and restrictions, the rules that govern a Homeowners Association (HOA). Some hoa's are very lenient and some are extraordinarily strict and rigid. Realtors typically don't have access to these rules unless they work for the developer. They typically won't offer them to you without you requesting them. If your development has a hoa make sure you get acquainted with the cc&r's before you buy.

Other neighborhoods also have strict building requirements dictated by an Architectural Review Committee or other such acronyms.

The best and only website I have found with limited (but important) neighbourhood info is www Carolina Plantations.com. it compares several different neighborhoods in the southern portion of the coast.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:51 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
CC& R's are covenants, conditions and restrictions, the rules that govern a Homeowners Association (HOA). Some hoa's are very lenient and some are extraordinarily strict and rigid. Realtors typically don't have access to these rules unless they work for the developer. They typically won't offer them to you without you requesting them. If your development has a hoa make sure you get acquainted with the cc&r's before you buy.

Other neighborhoods also have strict building requirements dictated by an Architectural Review Committee or other such acronyms.

The best and only website I have found with limited (but important) neighbourhood info is www Carolina Plantations.com. it compares several different neighborhoods in the southern portion of the coast.
Thanks, this was far more helpful than the realtor. I knew there had to be a source online somewhere listing all the communities.

We live in a community now with HOA restrictions so am familiar, I will be asking for CCR documents. As we drove around I asked "where can we keep the boat, can I have a shed to not overfill the garage, can we park on the street if we have guests", no answer.

We have a lot of researching to do and this is a big help.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:29 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Thanks, this was far more helpful than the realtor. I knew there had to be a source online somewhere listing all the communities.

We live in a community now with HOA restrictions so am familiar, I will be asking for CCR documents. As we drove around I asked "where can we keep the boat, can I have a shed to not overfill the garage, can we park on the street if we have guests", no answer.

We have a lot of researching to do and this is a big help.
This is one reason I love living in the City limits where there are rules but less restrictions. The answer in Wilmington to those questions are:

1) Boat is allowed in the side or rear yard.
2) Sheds can be built with adequate setbacks.
3) Parking in easement is allowed temporarily.

There is legislation at the State level right now to provide State oversight of HOA's. I expect it will pass because of the amount of complaints out there.

I love the fact that the City has a process, personnel, public meetings about issues like this where HOA's seem to all do their own thing and its hard to get answers out of them. Hard to know who is actually in charge.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:52 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
This is one reason I love living in the City limits where there are rules but less restrictions. The answer in Wilmington to those questions are:

There is legislation at the State level right now to provide State oversight of HOA's. I expect it will pass because of the amount of complaints out there.

I love the fact that the City has a process, personnel, public meetings about issues like this where HOA's seem to all do their own thing and its hard to get answers out of them. Hard to know who is actually in charge.
House bill 311 is in the House for consideration. It is a Bill establishing some oversight of Community Associations, right now there is none so community associations pretty much do what they want without consideration of their membership. Members of our community met with Rep. Frank Iler to draft this bill.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:11 AM

919 posts, read 746,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

I agree with your basic premise, but there are HOAs inside the Wilmington city limits.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:14 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I agree with your basic premise, but there are HOAs inside the Wilmington city limits.
That is true, the "community pool" type neighborhoods. That's how you can usually identify them.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The people moving in will also literally die out eventually... especially in old old old Brunswick county. if you know what I mean. Cant kill Carolina much as you wish you could yankee. What an insensitive comment but its what Ive come to expect from this transplant heavy liberal leaning forum... maybe people wouldnt complain as much about people moving in if perhaps the ones moving in cared a bit more for their neighbors and didnt see them as lesser than... if only.

New Jersey dude you will be fine... just be kind and not an *******, and yes some people will call you yankee... dont think anyone actually hates you for where you are from, maybe moreso the rapid growth. Hope you find what you are looking for and dont dwell too much on all this.

I don't hate this. I'm from NY state but I'm far from a stereotypical nyer. I will hopefully be lucky enough to move to the Carolinas in the near future and love pretty much the entire region from coastal to Piedmont to low country to mountains.

I promise I won't be bringing my state with me, I'm moving because I like the way y'all do things. I just hope I won't be hated because of my license plate before I have a chance to prove the locals wrong. I'm not moving to change anything in fact I'll warn them not to change or do things the way my current location is doing it.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:26 AM

59 posts, read 49,754 times
The reason why the Carolina's are attractive is because what's there, not what I can bring to it! The reason why the Carolina's are attractive is because the beauty of the land and the Low & Slow of the dialy living of the low country... Or the high if you like the hills

I don't mind being called a Yankee as long as it's not in a negative, no more than my reference to a Southerner is such... But the PC is calling us now Northerner's lol, which may be MORE offensive because I get thrown in the lot with Boston's and Jersey folks, hahahahahaha

Just came back from laying deposits on a few properties because we couldn't make a decision on which is best! But we absolutely LOVE NC and look forward to getting on with it and moving down and enjoying all the area has to offer. We only met wonderful and delightful folk, everyone nice and cordial, no issues at all. Maybe because we couldn't stop smiling and trying to be as polite as everyone else seemed to be. We met and talked with numerous transplants as well, whether shopping or just stopping somewhere, noticing our NY plates or of course our Brooklyn E's...

Bottom line is yes, Brunswick County and the SE NC area is booming for a reason. There was construction evident almost at every turn, every road, etc., simply amazing! It will bring as much opportunity as it will problems, as with anywhere. Not sure why some expect some magical Utopia to exist when reality dictates that it is the same everywhere. Liberal politics are infested in population dense centers, and hopefully these areas won't get dense enough to gravitate that trend, again, because what it there now is what makes it attractive! Change will only remove that luster and tarnish a great thing.

Anyways, just making note of our recent trip. Thanks for the heads up on the HOA rules, etc.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:29 AM

35 posts, read 46,584 times
Just my 2 cents
AK NY couldn't agree with you more about how nice everyone is down here. I just bought a home in OIB and love it when I'm there. It will be part time for another 4 years until retirement. Everyone is nice, looks at you and actually talks to you and thanks you for holding a door! So different from the tri state area. Can't wait to get out of this liberal state and live somewhere that people love God and country and fellow man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina