Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 08:13 AM

137 posts, read 149,732 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 kids (ages 4 and 8) are thinking of relocating from Massachusetts to the Outer Banks area. We are not loving the winters in New England and are very outdoorsy- we love camping, my husband runs, I walk, we love grilling, and really enjoy beach towns and the beach coastal vibe.

We love the Cape Cod area in Massachusetts and enjoy Southern Maine/Coastal RI but the winters are not the vibe we want here.

We thought of moving about 3 years ago and got cold feet- we weren't sure if it was in the best interest of our kids and our jobs were not remote ( I was a teacher and my husband had a hybrid job).
Right now my husband is fully remote and I am searching for a full remote position so we would both not have to worry about commutes/job searching when moving. We would be all set with jobs.

We are thinking of staying this summer as we have a seasonal for camping in Maine and then consider the move for Spring 2024.

Here are some questions I would love if you can help me with-

1. Schools in the Outer Banks? We don't need top tier but I need a good district that cares for students and will accept my oldest who is on an IEP for learning disabilities and has social issues. From what I am reading online the schools are good in the Outer Banks but details would be appreciated!

2. Our budget is pretty low for the area- we do not want to spend more than $450K, we see some houses up to 499 that we like, any thoughts on the $?

3. Are the Outer Banks a good place for kids to grow up? Right now we live in a neighborhood but not everyone is looking for a friend, basically will say hi on the street but keeps to themselves. It is a nice safe area we are in now, would kids meet other kids? Make friends easily, or is it an older crowd?

4. How is safety and crime there? We are in a low crime and safe town in Massachusetts and would like the same feeling there.

Please just generally let me know your thoughts- we haven't had a chance to visit there yet and have a planned Maine trip this year so we might not make it until the fall or Winter of 2023 to visit but the plan would be to visit before moving. To me the Outer Banks looks and feels like Cape Cod- please let me know if I am correct.

We appreciate all of the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 09:34 AM

921 posts, read 750,283 times
The "Outer Banks" is a 100+ mile long area, so its hard to make a lot of generalizations. However, it is primarily a vacation area. There aren't a lot of year-around residents in most locations, so I think you'd find it challenging to find community, establish friends, etc.

Have you ever visited the Outer Banks? If not, I think it would be a good idea, especially now during the off season. I'd also suggest looking at Wilmington if you want to be near the beach and have children.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:58 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I’m from coastal RI and I’ve also lived in Boston and North Attleboro. I know most of coastal New England pretty well. The Outer Banks is pretty much isolated off season. I’d compare it more to the latter portion of the Cape closer to North Truro. Not much going, very little shopping. While I’ve vacationed in Duck in summer and loved it, it’s not a place I would have enjoyed raising a family.

I’d suggest looking at some of the areas outside of Wilmington….such as Hampstead.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:18 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I suugest also looking at the OBX groups on Facebook, since few participants here are fans of the Outer Banks.

I'll agree that the OBX is much more remote and less settled than Cape Cod. It is also harder to access with few highways in or out. This matters when a mandatory evacuation for a hurricane is ordered. The other environmental issue is erosion around the main access bridge.

Regarding schools, I have read that Dare County has more money per head than most NC counties. That should translate to quality. However the OP should ask specific questions about what the child with the IEP would have available. I suspect it will be less than what Cape Cod offers.

Regarding real estate, I suggest concentrating on Manteo, on the island inside of ocean strip. It has a town with some flavor of Cape Cod. It is also more protected from hurricanes. I did see some real estate listings in the high $400K range, and I do not think the OP will find much acceptable under $450K.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-26-2022 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
The Banks are remote and can be cold in winter. It's full of people in the summer. If you want to be outdoors year around I would look at Wilmington, as previous posters have suggested.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:50 AM

So far 4 NC residents have cautioned against the Outer Banks. Please also check out what your hurricane and flood insurance would be on any house you look at.
You might also like the small town of Beaufort, but your pricepoint is a bit limited for anything near water.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-27-2022 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 07:31 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
In terms of schools, the Dare County schools are considered pretty good, Currituck County are also good, although if you are considering Corrolla in Currituck, it is a bit of a traffic nightmare on the 2-lane road.

Some have mentioned winters on the Outer Banks...if you are coming to the Outer Banks to get away from the cold in the winter...DONT GO TO THE OUTER BANKS. It may be 45 degrees, but that wind chill makes it feel like its freezing. The same wind you love in the summer is the wind you hate in the winter.

If you like the area, I would instead recommend Currituck County mainland. This gives you access to the Outer Banks in the summer and is not as cold in the winter. It also gives you the availability of day trips to the Norfolk area, where there is major shopping, entertainment, etc...Currituck County is a formerly rural county that is growing at a good pace now although there are going to be more retiree's than families

My final suggestion for anyone trying to move to a NC beach type community to try and get out of the cold winters and with kids would be Carteret County. The temps are warmer further south, it is less isolated (although Raleigh is 3 hours away and Wilmington over an hour and a half). Mainland housing may be cheaper as well. There are a good number of families in the Beaufort/Morehead City/Cape Carteret area sprinkled in with the retirees.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
......My final suggestion for anyone trying to move to a NC beach type community to try and get out of the cold winters and with kids would be Carteret County. The temps are warmer further south, it is less isolated (although Raleigh is 3 hours away and Wilmington over an hour and a half). Mainland housing may be cheaper as well. There are a good number of families in the Beaufort/Morehead City/Cape Carteret area sprinkled in with the retirees.
I agree that there is a lot more affordable housing in Morehead City/Beaufort/Cape Carteret than on the Outer Banks. The schools are decent, and one family I know thinks it is great for kids. There are also Federal jobs available if the work-from-home gigs do not work out. The scenery may lack the charm of Cape Cod, but the housing is newer. Wilmington also has a larger pool of houses for sale in the under $450K range.

I can't comment on whether it is easy to make friends on the Outer Banks. The OP is comparing to a small New England town where reserve and respect for privacy is typical. Almost anywhere in the South, people will be more sociable. One still needs to reach out to people to find friends. BTW, the schools in Manteo are small at about 500 students in each level. That may make it easier for the child with the IEP to get individual attention.

As far as earning a living on the Outer Banks, I know of a couple people who sell craft items on Esty. The former teacher also probably could re-enter teaching as a substitute almost anywhere in Coastal NC.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-28-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 07:00 PM

137 posts, read 149,732 times
I appreciate all of the advice! Thank you.
I am really surprised by the advice to not move to the Outer Banks, where else has the 'vibe' of the Outer Banks? We are trying to find a coastal town not too far from a beach that has the vibe of Cape Cod. It seems like the Outer Banks was a great fit and in our budget (and with pretty good schools),
We appreciate any recommendations. Thank you

Old 12-29-2022, 06:05 AM

61 posts, read 72,606 times
Just read your thread. I would suggest you look into Southport. It have a coastal vibe and gorgeous downtown. It does have a lot of retirees, but that is changing as more younger people are moving here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina