Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 07:31 AM

34 posts, read 44,824 times

Advertisements

We have been in Raleigh for 2 years, we like it. We moved from the west coast. We live in five points and overall love our area. I will say we have not really found our tribe, although overall we are good with it.
My husband is in the running for a great position in Wilmington, we are considering it. It was not something we decided to go after, but now that it is here, it's on our mind.

Question - What is the deal with Wilmington? I have been and love it, some people consider it a dream to live a few miles from Wrightsville Beach and others speak of the dirty city, drug use, dirty politics and MAJOR crime issues ... it is a dichotomy. Anyone know anyone who lives there and loves it or hates it?

If so ...
What are the favorite neighborhoods for full time - landfall, porters neck, Autum Hall .... any others to love or hate? We would want to find a lively neighborhood with LOTS of kids, families, etc .. not just retired folks and second homes

Kids - 5th grade, 9th grade
House Budget 1-1.6M
Schools - looking at Cape Fear Academy, up for other ideas

Help me understand, please. THANK YOU!!!!

FYI - Posting anonymously since are not ready to share this idea with neighbors and friends just yet

cross posting
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 07:41 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Overall, I think you would be happier staying in Raleigh.

Wilmington does not have *major* crime issues. Where are you getting that idea? If you live in a million dollar neighborhood you will not be mugged in the street. You just need to avoid Princess Place and other areas near downtown which have gangs.

BTW, I have driven around Autumn Hall and did not see signs of kids. It seems to be a beautiful place for empty-nesters like doctors.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-24-2023 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2023, 08:52 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colete00 View Post
We have been in Raleigh for 2 years, we like it. We moved from the west coast. We live in five points and overall love our area. I will say we have not really found our tribe, although overall we are good with it.
My husband is in the running for a great position in Wilmington, we are considering it. It was not something we decided to go after, but now that it is here, it's on our mind.

Question - What is the deal with Wilmington? I have been and love it, some people consider it a dream to live a few miles from Wrightsville Beach and others speak of the dirty city, drug use, dirty politics and MAJOR crime issues ... it is a dichotomy. Anyone know anyone who lives there and loves it or hates it?

If so ...
What are the favorite neighborhoods for full time - landfall, porters neck, Autum Hall .... any others to love or hate? We would want to find a lively neighborhood with LOTS of kids, families, etc .. not just retired folks and second homes

House Budget 1-1.6M

FYI - Posting anonymously since are not ready to share this idea with neighbors and friends just yet

cross posting
My wife grew up there, her mom grew up on Wrightsville Beach, my in-laws are there in a neighborhood off Bradley Creek. All of her friends from High School have been successful as graduates of the New Hanover County school system/Hoggard High School. PA's and PT's and Engineers and Keenan Flagler MBA's and similar.

None of them really have any complaints about the city in terms of crime/drugs etc. Looking around it doesn't seem any worse than Raleigh, certainly no worse than living in 5 points in terms of property crime (and I lived in five points for several years.)

Her close friend lived in Landfall...every time I've been through I don't get the idea that its a ton of young families/kids. Two friends that have young kids have recently built/bought in River Lights neighborhood, but they don't ahve your budget.

My complaint is that it has crummy traffic. Really Crummy traffic. And Wilmington Natives make fun of Raleigh traffic because their only experience is leaving PNC/Carter Finley after a game. But their traffic reminds me of CHicago Traffic and Raleigh's traffic is way better. But I digress.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:07 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
We are not supposed to mention rival sites. However one that begins with N mentions the top 5 family neighborhoods as Bayshore, Ogden, Myrtle Grove, Murrysville and Hampstead. If the OP finds a house with its own pool, they will attract lots of kids. An average family with teenage kids does not have million dollar budget, so they may want to look at a more average neighborhood to find kids.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-24-2023 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2023, 01:04 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,391 times
I live on the Del Webb side of River Lights. We enjoy it here. Maybe check out River Lights proper lots of children over there. They are selling homes close to 1 million now.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Overall Wilmington is a little more blue collar and old North Carolina with a lot of new retirees on top of that.. There is a good amount of manufacturing in Wilmington plus the port.Lots of traffic issues in the summer especially on weekends with vacationers

Raleigh is more tech/state government/biotech/healthcare oriented.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colete00 View Post

If so ...

House Budget 1-1.6M

cross posting
I think there are two main questions here.

1. What is Wilmington like? I would say poppydog’s description is the most accurate. Wilmington feels like more old-school NC that I grew up visiting family in, most being from just outside Wilmington to the West.

2. (The one I think OP has to really answer) Would I give up a decent situation elsewhere to try Wilmington out? While I don’t think Wilmington is a bad place by any stretch of the imagination, it has nothing that would make me want to give up a decent situation in Charlotte to move to. I’d say the same if I was coming from Raleigh/Durham. Being there briefly last year, I said to myself, I could get really bored quickly here and I’m not a nightlife kind of person at all at my stage of life.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:50 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Overall Wilmington is a little more blue collar and old North Carolina with a lot of new retirees on top of that.. There is a good amount of manufacturing in Wilmington plus the port.Lots of traffic issues in the summer especially on weekends with vacationers

Raleigh is more tech/state government/biotech/healthcare oriented.
Wilmington still seems to be heavily healthcare oriented though admittedly that's may be biased based on my exposure (wife's childhood friend is in healthcare, her husband works for ThermoFisher formerly PPD, MIL works in healthcare.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think there are two main questions here.

1. What is Wilmington like? I would say poppydog’s description is the most accurate. Wilmington feels like more old-school NC that I grew up visiting family in, most being from just outside Wilmington to the West.

2. (The one I think OP has to really answer) Would I give up a decent situation elsewhere to try Wilmington out? While I don’t think Wilmington is a bad place by any stretch of the imagination, it has nothing that would make me want to give up a decent situation in Charlotte to move to. I’d say the same if I was coming from Raleigh/Durham. Being there briefly last year, I said to myself, I could get really bored quickly here and I’m not a nightlife kind of person at all at my stage of life.
Different strokes for different folks, but unless there are certain big city type amenities (sports, maybe large concerts), I don't see being any more bored day to day there than here. Wilmington seems to have a LOT of dining options, some nightlife but not as much, etc. I'm not chomping at the bit to move there, but if work dictated that the best opportunity was there, my bags would be packed.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 22,922 times
Default Triangle vs Wilmington

We also moved from the west coast and came to NC - the Triangle area in 2012 - then moved to Wilmington in 2019. Loved the Triangle area (we are retired) but it was very busy - freeway traffic, etc. Lots to do but everything was 1/2 hr or more away. I know, nothing compared to west coast standards but you get spoiled quickly. We thought Wilmington would provide us with all we needed - good restaurants, theatre, music, etc. but on a smaller scale and in a more confined space with less traffic. That is all true. No freeways here and although everyone complains about the traffic, it is on all surface roads, so just chill! Plus the river and ocean are here. Also thought the weather would be a smidgin better with 5 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer. That is also true. But I do find myself missing the Triangle area on occasion. We're not crazy beach bums so only go there maybe 2X/month but it is beautiful. They are building everywhere here but that may be the case everywhere. Don't know. I don't think I'd give up a great job in the Triangle to come here. Healthcare is way better in the Triangle as well. Don't know about schools but I would suspect they are also better there. Just not as cosmopolitan here and lots of New Yorkers, New Jerseyites and ex-government folks. So factor that in, whatever your outlook may be.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:21 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagoodbye View Post
We also moved from the west coast and came to NC - the Triangle area in 2012 - then moved to Wilmington in 2019. Loved the Triangle area (we are retired) but it was very busy - freeway traffic, etc. Lots to do but everything was 1/2 hr or more away. I know, nothing compared to west coast standards but you get spoiled quickly. We thought Wilmington would provide us with all we needed - good restaurants, theatre, music, etc. but on a smaller scale and in a more confined space with less traffic. That is all true. No freeways here and although everyone complains about the traffic, it is on all surface roads, so just chill! Plus the river and ocean are here. Also thought the weather would be a smidgin better with 5 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer. That is also true. But I do find myself missing the Triangle area on occasion. We're not crazy beach bums so only go there maybe 2X/month but it is beautiful. They are building everywhere here but that may be the case everywhere. Don't know. I don't think I'd give up a great job in the Triangle to come here. Healthcare is way better in the Triangle as well. Don't know about schools but I would suspect they are also better there. Just not as cosmopolitan here and lots of New Yorkers, New Jerseyites and ex-government folks. So factor that in, whatever your outlook may be.
This is a fair assessment.

Wilmington has better winter weather than the Triangle. Beaches in the summer allow you to cool off unlike inland communities.

Healthcare is certainly better in a much larger metro, but I would say the Healthcare in Wilmington is better than most communities its size.

Less Freeways, more surface roads...key is that things are closer in Wilmington. Its only 7 miles from downtown to Wrightsville Beach.

Plenty of good restaurants, entertainment options, and local spots.

Schools are fine you just have to be a bit choosy of where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina