Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 04:59 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

Scanning homes on Realtor.com in Brunswick County, trying to keep the budget at 300k max. I'm seeing a lot of new construction from D-R Horton, looking for those with experience on quality and ease of building / purchase. Also, when using Realtor.com, I check for the flood zone map on thier website, how accurate ?.....I will also check FEMA map if a home / area really catches my eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 05:45 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
My observation of DR Horton, KB, and any nationwide tract builder... it's all about price-point. $300K isn't going to buy nuch more than one of the smaller floorplans on a postage stamp lot in a starter home development in Texas. And there will be a noticeable difference between that and a $700K house in a 'better' tract develpment. Better finishes, more attention to detail.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
My observation of DR Horton, KB, and any nationwide tract builder... it's all about price-point. $300K isn't going to buy nuch more than one of the smaller floorplans on a postage stamp lot in a starter home development in Texas. And there will be a noticeable difference between that and a $700K house in a 'better' tract develpment. Better finishes, more attention to detail.
All done with years of maintaining bigger home with bigger land. 1,200 Sq. ft. for two with a Yorkie is fine.....small yard means more time to relax, not looking to spending all day just to do yard work.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:35 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I have been in DR Horton homes, and they look good but plain at the minimum price. You probably will not get a fireplace or patio door. I think you would do better with an existing home a few years old.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:44 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
All done with years of maintaining bigger home with bigger land. 1,200 Sq. ft. for two with a Yorkie is fine.....small yard means more time to relax, not looking to spending all day just to do yard work.
Small yard, also means you will be living with your neighbor.....especially in the summer. When you want to close your eyes and relax, out in you lani.....you may also be listening to your neighbors tv.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Small yard, also means you will be living with your neighbor.....especially in the summer. When you want to close your eyes and relax, out in you lani.....you may also be listening to your neighbors tv.
This is true, hopefully will not be an issue.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been in DR Horton homes, and they look good but plain at the minimum price. You probably will not get a fireplace or patio door. I think you would do better with an existing home a few years old.
We have our eyes on a few older homes also, Realtor.com flooded with new construction though.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:21 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
I looked at one of their 'express' communities the other day - and it's probably a good term. Fantastic price, but you do get what you pay for (so zero upgrades). It's not bad, it's just different when you're used to looking at other new construction. They do have other communities with more upgrades as part of the base plan, but I'd suggest really paying attention to the features offered in the community.
Good luck!

Old 12-03-2022, 06:33 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I also suggest looking at Carolina Shores older homes under $300K. They have mature landscaping which gives more privacy. There are also some houses on Lighthouse Cove Loop built by H&H, a decent regional builder, which are a few years old. They have flat yards, with minimal landscaping.
I also suggest looking at The Farm at Brunswick, a budget community that has a pool.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-03-2022 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-03-2022, 08:03 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
We have friends who live in a DR Horton home in Cary. They’ve had no issues and are happy with their home. They opted for minimal upgrades…put in best hardwoods offered, best cabinets and then did a lot of upgrades on their own - quartz counters, wainscoting, crowns. The upgrades were less expensive and better quality this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina