Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Have you experienced the weather and other preferences on the NC coast as well as on the coasts of mid-FL?

Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area Vs. Stuart/Port St. Lucie. So many people seem to choose FL; makes me wonder if they've explored living in either area and the reason/advantages they chose one over the other ? Could it be that home prices are less in FL? Is NC cooler in summer? I miss being near the ocean and am giving serious consideration to purchasing a condo in one of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
I grew up in FL. I now live in coastal NC. I don't think the summers are any cooler in NC, though. I thought about returning to Florida but decided against it. My area is less crowded, lower cost and less built up and crowded. I am an hour away from Emerald Isle, so I am not directly on the water, but it's close enough for me. The roads are good and it's a nice drive.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:27 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
My brother has a place in Florida where he homesteads because they don't tax Social Security and Pension, and a place in North Carolina. He Winters in Florida, and when the temps start to get too hot, heads north. He also will head in either direction should a big storm blow thru.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I grew up in FL. I now live in coastal NC. I don't think the summers are any cooler in NC, though. I thought about returning to Florida but decided against it. My area is less crowded, lower cost and less built up and crowded. I am an hour away from Emerald Isle, so I am not directly on the water, but it's close enough for me. The roads are good and it's a nice drive.
Sounds nice. How long does it take to get to a good beach ? 20 mins. to 1/2 hr. is fine w/me.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Have you experienced the weather and other preferences on the NC coast as well as on the coasts of mid-FL?

Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area Vs. Stuart/Port St. Lucie. So many people seem to choose FL; makes me wonder if they've explored living in either area and the reason/advantages they chose one over the other ? Could it be that home prices are less in FL? Is NC cooler in summer? I miss being near the ocean and am giving serious consideration to purchasing a condo in one of those areas.
Hi QuilterChick!
Remember me? Fellow RIer and you bought my friend Barbara H's house? So, DH and I have been down in NC now for almost 10 years. Love it but miss the coast terribly. We've thought about going back to RI but came to our senses. Anyway, we are 2 years away from retirement and have been looking around the NC coast. When we found Southport, we knew we had found the right place for us. Reminds me of a small NE coastal town.....think Gloucester, MA. It's where the Cape Fear river meets the Atlantic.

Southport is so charming. Bustling little downtown in the summer. Places to sit, stroll at the harbor to watch the boats or sunrise. Wonderful restaurants. Ferry to Bald Hill Island. Just a few minutes away from beautiful beaches (Caswell Beach, Oak Island). 30 minutes to Wilmington for access to more shopping (mall, Trader Joe's, etc). 45 min north of Myrtle Beach.

We bough a home a couple of weeks ago. It's about 2 miles from the riverfront and 5-6 minutes from the beaches. We won't be time full time for 2 years (if we can hold out!) but plan to enjoy weekends, vacations for now.

Definitely worth checking out!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Hi QuilterChick!
Remember me? Fellow RIer and you bought my friend Barbara H's house? So, DH and I have been down in NC now for almost 10 years. Love it but miss the coast terribly. We've thought about going back to RI but came to our senses. Anyway, we are 2 years away from retirement and have been looking around the NC coast. When we found Southport, we knew we had found the right place for us. Reminds me of a small NE coastal town.....think Gloucester, MA. It's where the Cape Fear river meets the Atlantic.

Southport is so charming. Bustling little downtown in the summer. Places to sit, stroll at the harbor to watch the boats or sunrise. Wonderful restaurants. Ferry to Bald Hill Island. Just a few minutes away from beautiful beaches (Caswell Beach, Oak Island). 30 minutes to Wilmington for access to more shopping (mall, Trader Joe's, etc). 45 min north of Myrtle Beach.

We bough a home a couple of weeks ago. It's about 2 miles from the riverfront and 5-6 minutes from the beaches. We won't be time full time for 2 years (if we can hold out!) but plan to enjoy weekends, vacations for now.

Definitely worth checking out!

Hi there! Small World Dept. again Yes, I do remember you -- the 10 yr. part went by too fast didn't it. Yikes. Southport sounds wonderful, and it's on my radar along with some other areas in the general area. Amazing that in the 14 yrs. I've been here, I've never been to the NC coast; shame on me. Been to Charleston and its close islands, very pretty, nice beaches and a few towns in between; can take or leave Charleston, although some people rave about it. Too 'sticky' for me. It's worse than spending a hot sticky August in RI w/o air conditioning. Spent plenty of those.

I'm craving beaches. So nice to hear from you, time flies. Feel free to DM me, all suggestions welcome.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Hi there! Small World Dept. again Yes, I do remember you -- the 10 yr. part went by too fast didn't it. Yikes. Southport sounds wonderful, and it's on my radar along with some other areas in the general area. Amazing that in the 14 yrs. I've been here, I've never been to the NC coast; shame on me. Been to Charleston and its close islands, very pretty, nice beaches and a few towns in between; can take or leave Charleston, although some people rave about it. Too 'sticky' for me. It's worse than spending a hot sticky August in RI w/o air conditioning. Spent plenty of those.

I'm craving beaches. So nice to hear from you, time flies. Feel free to DM me, all suggestions welcome.
If by "sticky" you mean hot an humid, there's virtually no difference between Charleston and southeastern NC, unless you compare being right on the beach in NC versus being in the city of Charleston. The climate in Wilmington and Charleston is virtually the same.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If by "sticky" you mean hot an humid, there's virtually no difference between Charleston and southeastern NC, unless you compare being right on the beach in NC versus being in the city of Charleston. The climate in Wilmington and Charleston is virtually the same.

Thank you, but I'd never consider living in or close to Charleston. Been there, worse than FL for soggy air. Have a neighbor who has a 2nd home here. There are benefits to being a school teacher.

Only interested in comparisons of coastal NC or mid-coasts of FL.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Thank you, but I'd never consider living in or close to Charleston. Been there, worse than FL for soggy air. Have a neighbor who has a 2nd home here. There are benefits to being a school teacher.

Only interested in comparisons of coastal NC or mid-coasts of FL.
My point is, if you don't like Charleston's weather, you won't like SE North Carolina's. Its basically the same. Caveat emptor.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:59 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
FL hot all the time. NC hot some of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina