Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: great new town, nice southern people, little traffic, affordable housing, and close to the beach

Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 27,292 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am looking for a change and would love some information on NC. I will be moving this summer with my son and am looking for a great new town. In my world a small town, nice southeren people, little traffic, affordable housing, and close to the beach. Does this place exist? I really could use some advice Thank You and I appreciate you reading my message.

Sincerly,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
there are some towns like that, the problem is that there aren't any jobs in the town. perhaps try new bern. they should have some jobs and affordable houses nearby.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
How close do you wan to be to the beach?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
there are some towns like that, the problem is that there aren't any jobs in the town. perhaps try new bern. they should have some jobs and affordable houses nearby.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Smile It depends on what your lifestyle is and what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpa9973 View Post
Hi everyone I am looking for a change and would love some information on NC. I will be moving this summer with my son and am looking for a great new town. In my world a small town, nice southeren people, little traffic, affordable housing, and close to the beach. Does this place exist? I really could use some advice Thank You and I appreciate you reading my message.

Sincerly,
Lisa
There are small towns along NC's Crystal Coast and contrary to the rumors most of people who want jobs end up finding jobs.

The jobs are not what you find in Washington, DC or perhaps even Wilmington, but there are jobs in the area and many people work as contractors on the military bases, in medical fields, or in the service industries.

Housing costs are relatively low. There are homes under $170K with 3 bedrooms and two baths that are seven or eight miles from the beach.

There are some less expensive than that and of course there are plenty that are more expensive.

We live near Cape Carteret and it is one of the friendliest places on earth. We have been here a couple of years and already feel very much a part of our church, Cape Carteret Presbyterian.

The schools are good, the climate is great, and aside from six weeks of traffic over on Emerald Isle which has just now started approaching its peak for the year, we have a very quiet world.

The traffic on Emerald Isle will start slowly declining after the 4th of July with the decline speeding up in August before summer's last hurrah on Labor Day. Yet we have a year round area where very few businesses close. The beach is ours most of the year, and I have yet to find a day that the beach was crowded after 5 pm which is my favorite time.

I can suggest reading my articles on what makes Carteret County special, what I love about it and the unique small towns in the area. You can also check out my last year's blog which recorded our first year in the area.

You can check this map out to see the area and services available.

I like to tell people if your dream is important enough to you, you will figure out how to make it work even if it takes some adjustments in your lifestyle.

Dreams can come true.

Lots of times those changes that a move forces end up being positive ones.

Try to visit the areas you're interested in and talk to the locals not just people on forums.

While you can get lots of information on forums, there is no substitute for feet on the ground when it comes to making a real decision.

Sometimes virtual worries are outweighed by positive realities.

Here are some pictures of the Swansboro Arts Festival and a recent trip out Bogue Inlet into the ocean.

The Crystal Coast is a beautiful area and a great place to live.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-24-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: changed word

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM

within 2o mins would be nice but I could manage 40

Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
There are small towns along NC's Crystal Coast and contrary to the rumors most of people who want jobs end up finding jobs.

The jobs are not what you find in Washington, DC or perhaps even Wilmington, but there are jobs in the area and many people work as contractors on the military bases, in medical fields, or in the service industries.

Housing costs are relatively low. There are homes under $170K with 3 bedrooms and two baths that are seven or eight miles from the beach.

There are some less expensive than that and of course there are plenty that are more expensive.

We live near Cape Carteret and it is one of the friendliest places on earth. We have been here a couple of years and already feel very much a part of our church, Cape Carteret Presbyterian.

The schools are good, the climate is great, and aside from six weeks of traffic over on Emerald Isle which has just now started approaching its peak for the year, we have a very quiet world.

The traffic on Emerald Isle will start slowly declining after the 4th of July with the decline speeding up in August before summer's last hurrah on Labor Day. Yet we have a year round area where very few businesses close. The beach is ours most of the year, and I have yet to find a day that the beach was crowded after 5 pm which is my favorite time.

I can suggest reading my articles on what makes Carteret County special, what I love about it and the unique small towns in the area. You can also check out my last year's blog which recorded our first year in the area.

You can check this map out to see the area and services available.

I like to tell people if your dream is important enough to you, you will figure out how to make it work even if it takes some adjustments in your lifestyle.

Dreams can come true.

Lots of times those changes that a move forces end up being positive ones.

Try to visit the areas you're interested in and talk to the locals not just people on forums.

While you can get lots of information on forums, there is no substitute for feet on the ground when it comes to making a real decision.

Sometimes virtual worries are outweighed by positive realities.

Here are some pictures of the Swansboro Arts Festival and a recent trip out Bogue Inlet into the ocean.

The Crystal Coast is a beautiful area and a great place to live.
Thank you for sharing this information with me I enjoyed it and very helpful!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM

522 posts, read 963,198 times
I also have been researching this area, but alas , the job thing is an issue. As I understand it, most people that want a nice salary or a job in their training profession are having to go further to drive, to larger cities outside of the area.
The home prices in the shore areas have not come down.
..yet.
The job market is a big issue.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Smile The job market is a big issue in more places than the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
I also have been researching this area, but alas , the job thing is an issue. As I understand it, most people that want a nice salary or a job in their training profession are having to go further to drive, to larger cities outside of the area.
The home prices in the shore areas have not come down.
..yet.
The job market is a big issue.
The coast isn't the only place having problems with jobs.

I know a very qualified recent college graduate in the Charlotte area with a double major in business and sociology. She hasn't had any luck either.

There are some good jobs here, there just are not as many of them. The total year round population for the county is only 65,000. Hence they are no large companies and fewer jobs.

Home prices have some down. Just tonight I saw a home on the Intracoastal near Bogue Inlet drop in price to $515K.

I can give you plenty examples of home prices coming down.

Sometimes you make a life style choice in order to live where you want.

If you want to make lots of money and can put up with the traffic and other stress, Northern Virginia is hard to beat.

However, housing and other costs are very high.

You can buy a single family detached 3 bedroom, two bath home in this area for under $170K. I am willing to bet you cannot find that within an hours drive of Washington, DC.

There are always trade offs.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-01-2008 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word

Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM

33 posts, read 106,323 times
I'm right there with everyone else. New Bern.

I've written a lot about New Bern on other posts tonight. I sell a lot of homes to folks looking for what you mentioned.

That's why I came back home - it's beautiful here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina