Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,084 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the new bern area, i have two young girls and want some feedback on the most safe neighborhood to live in. We will be renting i will be working at the hospital. I have read a lot on here and people act like new bern is an inner city with lots of drugs,thugs and crime...so whats the deal? Some blogs on here act like it is a great place to raise kids and others cant wait to get out. Im a very confused mother trying to make a big decision to move please any mothers out there or anyone who can let me know is new bern safe and clean and a good place to raise two kids? They are 5 and 9; Also i would like to know about the schools. Thanks....curious in VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Hi, New Bern is a very nice place to live. there are only 2 realitively bad areas in New Bern and they are easy to see and stay away from. The Downtown area is very historic with and a very safe place to walk around even at night. There are numerous very nice neighborhoods in New Bern and just outside of it towards havelock. The Brinson Elementary school is supposed to be one of the best schools in the area. A new school is being built for the Carolina Colours subdivision and is also expected to be very good. Hope this helps. Got anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 AM

40 posts, read 229,382 times
my husband grew up in new bern (went to public schools) and my in-laws still live there...it is totally safe! i would also look in the Trent Woods area - lots of families. I have also heard that the Brinson elementary school is very good and if you can afford it, Epiphany is a great private school options. But, overall, the public schools are fine.

Also, many families are members of churches - and they have youth groups, etc. Maybe check out joining a church when you get there.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 106,337 times
New Bern is a wonderful place to raise kids. I moved back to raise my son here 12 years ago and he would not let me move anywhere else. We have had a wonderful experience with schools. The sports programs have been positive. There are 2 rivers and close to the beach.
If you are working at the hospital, you may want to consider renting in Trent Woods. There are lots of kids in Trent Woods too. Bangert Elementary is a good school. My son went there and had great success.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,882 times
Default Love New Bern and CRMC

I moved to New Bern two years ago and I am a nurse at CRMC. My husband and I love the small city. We lived in New Orleans for 18 years and then Raleigh for 10. We love being able to get where ever we want to be in less than 5 minutes. I live 2 minutes away from the hospital! which is very nice when you have to be at work at 0645. My husband hopes to teach at the middle school behind our house. Craven is a great place to work what department are you working?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 18,228 times
I am in the process of looking for some good neighborhoods too to move to New Bern. My wife and I spend some time each night on NewBernHomeGuide.com looking at all the neighborhoods trying to decide where to locate too. We love Taberna and looking at a couple houses out there right now.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM

104 posts, read 148,710 times
For some reason(s)--and I have not made up my mind on this question--the worse crime areas (highest incidence) in cities are near low-cost housing. I am not a sociologist and am not prone to idle speculation based on my political credo, which leans Liberal...BUT in many cities I've lived in there is a measurable increase in crime in, and adjacent to, low-income housing projects. When I choose a neighborhood I take this into account. Are poor people criminals? No. Are desperate people more likely to commit crimes? Yes. So I leave it to you, the prospective renter/buyer to draw your now conclusions. I really like New Bern, having never set foot there---yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina