Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times

Advertisements

a high rate of "poverty."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs4786 View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder what all of these cities have in common? :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,651 times
That is very true jmarquise. Sometimes I wonder where the city and county official's heads are. Obviously,not in the right place at the right time.I'm a glass half full,positive,hopeful person,but I've about given up all hope for Wilmington.I have absolutely no faith in the leadership at the present time.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,651 times
Okay people here we go again......Did you see the front page of the newspaper this morning? How many times does this have to happen before you admit Wilmington is dangerous? AND......This one happened at an intersection that stays busy. I hope this will be a wake up call for you to get your heads out of the sand and be more alert and cautious-especially women.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 AM

183 posts, read 671,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
That is very true jmarquise. Sometimes I wonder where the city and county official's heads are. Obviously,not in the right place at the right time.I'm a glass half full,positive,hopeful person,but I've about given up all hope for Wilmington.I have absolutely no faith in the leadership at the present time.
My folks have a family counseling practice in the area, and they're putting away every nickel and dime they can to retire in the next few years and move full time to their home near Blowing Rock. They've gotten tired of how the city is run and how it's looking so run down. Compared to the rest of NC, taxes in NHC are pretty high; but when you look around, you have to ask where those tax dollars are going?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

yeah, but we are getting a shiny new convention center!

Quote:

Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 AM

the tax dollars are going to pay for a shiny new convention center. they also went to the 3 years it took to widen military cutoff. they did not go to fixing the sewage problems we have. blowing rock would be an awesome place to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
My folks have a family counseling practice in the area, and they're putting away every nickel and dime they can to retire in the next few years and move full time to their home near Blowing Rock. They've gotten tired of how the city is run and how it's looking so run down. Compared to the rest of NC, taxes in NHC are pretty high; but when you look around, you have to ask where those tax dollars are going?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM

all I will say about it is this. 1am, and I will bet you money stone drunk. there are things you can do to help prevent incidents like this, and being drunk and walking around at 1am when there are not people around is not one of them. hope this woman is ok.

Quote:
Okay people here we go again......Did you see the front page of the newspaper this morning? How many times does this have to happen before you admit Wilmington is dangerous? AND......This one happened at an intersection that stays busy. I hope this will be a wake up call for you to get your heads out of the sand and be more alert and cautious-especially women.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the tax dollars are going to pay for a shiny new convention center. they also went to the 3 years it took to widen military cutoff. they did not go to fixing the sewage problems we have. blowing rock would be an awesome place to retire.
The PPD building isn't enough of an eyesore to the downtown landscape? I have yet to pass judgement on that convention center (and I haven't kept up with it enough to know how the people who still live there feel). And yeah, where my folks live is up near Porter's Neck, so I make frequent trips up Military Cutoff...after living near Raleigh for the past few years, it was KILLING me how long it was taking to widen a freakin' 3 mile stretch of road.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM

I think the biggest problem with the convention center is the one in new bern, and the one in myrtle beach, and the one in raleigh. what does wilmington offer that those places don't? nothing. not to mention that we already have a convention center that we don't use! hopefully I will be moving up to raleigh myself. I heard that wake county is much more competent than new hanover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
The PPD building isn't enough of an eyesore to the downtown landscape? I have yet to pass judgement on that convention center (and I haven't kept up with it enough to know how the people who still live there feel). And yeah, where my folks live is up near Porter's Neck, so I make frequent trips up Military Cutoff...after living near Raleigh for the past few years, it was KILLING me how long it was taking to widen a freakin' 3 mile stretch of road.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think the biggest problem with the convention center is the one in new bern, and the one in myrtle beach, and the one in raleigh. what does wilmington offer that those places don't? nothing. not to mention that we already have a convention center that we don't use! hopefully I will be moving up to raleigh myself. I heard that wake county is much more competent than new hanover.
Aside from the Wake County Public School System, yeah, it's run fairly well. My wife and I are actually just over the border in Clayton (Johnston County), which has excellent schools and really good prices on housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina