Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

Bike paths? There's miles and miles of new bike/running paved areas all throughout Carteret County. The new one beside Bridges Street comes to mind.
Heck-There's even a sidewalk from Morehead Marine (Almost at the intersection of HWY's 24 & 70) all the way to the State Port!! That's got to be at least 4-5 miles!! That side walk also turns and crosses the Atlantic Beach Bridge-Continues down the Causeway and turns east and west towards Fort Macon State Park or Pine Knoll Shores!
Beaufort City is a VERY bike-able town. No problems there!
I would be concerned about frequent bike rides from Smyrna to Beaufort. It's a two lane road (55 mph) with not too many options once you get off the pavement.
The drinking water is fine. Beaufort, Morehead City and Newport have "city" water. Some homes still operate off of a well. Well water can have a stinky smell to it. Well water use to be a fact of life for everyone here-Those days are gone.
The highest natural point in Carteret County are the sand dunes in Fort Macon State Park. As memory serves-The highest point is 60 feet. "Hills" are only read about in Carteret County!!

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 05:12 AM

Oops! I stand corrected! The highest elevation in Carteret County is not the sand dunes of Fort Macon State Park. It is off Nine Foot Road in the Croatan National Forest area with peak elevation of 51 feet!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:02 AM

20 posts, read 107,256 times
Default Thanks!

Bill,

Thanks so much for the information. The bike paths sound great. It seems that Morehead City is probably the most bikeable. That is good news. I didn't really know what to think.

In other words, if we want to live a more bike centered like it seems that Morehead City will be the place we should probably look more at.

Thanks again and as always, any info on the area you care to share is always welcome!

SadieAnn

Old 01-27-2007, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 631,428 times
Quote:
The drinking water is fine.
Now why would I just make up something like bad drinking water? Maybe compared to Mexico it's "okay." Morehead City may be better, but Beaufort was disgusting, and my experience was confirmed by a physician coworker who had been living there longer than I had been. I worked in an ER down there, and there were a lot of kidney stones coming through the doors, which can come from a lot of things, but sediment in the water ceratinly doesn't help. Or maybe I just come from a part of the country where the water is very pure and Beaufort was "normal." I don't know, I just know it tasted like crap and left sediment where it dried.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 AM

awakenthesun22,
I am sorry to hear of your bad experience and do not think that you have made anything up.
As I mentioned earlier Carteret County use to be nothing but well water. It was very unpleasant, smelled and of course held sediments. Morehead & Beaufort have municipal water which is treated and chlorinated. And yes-There are still homes in the County that just have well water.
Morehead City Water Dept: http://www.townofmorehead.com/water.html (broken link)
Beaufort Water Department: http://www.beaufortnc.org/water_sewer/ (broken link)
Western Carteret Water Corp: I couldn't find their web site.
Bill

Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Easy fellas, just wanted a little info. I know what you mean about the water, it's different every where you go. I just visited a town in Pa. where the water from the tap actually made me and my husband and my brother nauseous. Really. Now that was scary. It was truly foul but had been tested and found "safe" for consumption. I guess water filters reallly are a good idea wherever you go. I remember as a kid moving from a rural area and hating the city water. It's different everywhere.

All the same, I do appreciate all of the info, both positive and the not so positive. Thanks and have a good day!

SadieAnn

Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
How did Morehead City fare during Huricane Floyd? Was there widespread flooding?

Thanks,
Alice

Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 AM

No-Flooding was not a problem. Most of the rain fall was inland of Morehead. And the worst flooding usually comes days after a storm as the inland creeks and rivers swell.
Often times the folks that evacuate can not get back for days or even weeks because of the inland flooding all the while we here on the coast are in essence-high and dry.
I have included a rainfall map of the Floyd Event. You'll see that most of the coast got the least of the rain/flooding albeit the Wilmington/Southport area did.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM

12 posts, read 68,351 times
Default Beaufort is great!

I live in Beaufort. We have been here about 11 years. I have 2 daughters. 15 and 9. We love the area. School choice is limited. You have the public school system, a private catholic school and one charter school.
A lot of families are moving to the Western part of the county. (Cape Carteret, Bouge Sound) I have heard only glowing things about Chroatan High, and Broad Creek Middle.

Our daughters attend schools in Beaufort, and I have found them to be improving and very open to parents. Check out the carteret county school system website and look at each schools web pages. They will give you a feel as to what is going on at the schools.

Some great neighborhood in Beaufort to check out with lots of families are Tiffany Woods, or Deer Field (down hwy 101). Housing close to the historic part of beaufort downtown has increased over the years. Yet, there are lots of advantages to being close to the water. We walk, ride bikes, boat, etc. If you have any other questions let me know
How old are your boys?
Ocean Mom

Old 02-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Thank you, Ocean Mom

Thank you so much for the information. I have been looking at Beaufort and Down East a lot. We will rent for the first couple of months so that we know the area a little better before we buy. I would love to be able to bike around with our boys, go for walks and jog without worrying about traffic too much. And of course, walk on the beach. Our boys are 9(10 in April!) and 4 years old. We want our older son be able to go for a short bike ride by himself without total terror. The less time I have to spend in my car, the better. My husband will work on Atlantic Beach, so I'm guessing he will probably end up driving most of the time. Morehead City looks nice, but also like it could be a little too big a city for us. The place with the most bike pathes and easy water access will probably win us over. Smyrna looks like a nice small town. Do you know anything about it? Also, does Beaufort have a public library?

Thanks again and have a great night,

SadieAnn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina