Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM

10 posts, read 34,202 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time poster here. I've lived in Greenville for 4 years, I just graduated from ECU. I think I am going to take a job in Kinston that I was recently offered. I like the job but I am a bit scared of even considering living in/around Kinston. Are there any nice areas, apartment complexes or townhomes? All I found on this site have been negatives and advice not to even drive through kinston (some true I'm sure). I'm 22, and just want a decent, not lower class, safe place to rent (home or apt.). I would be willing to pay fairly more to live in a nice place/nighborhood. I've read about Grifton, Ayden as they are smaller towns between Gville and Ktown, but doesn't seem like there is much to rent. I've read kinston was rated one of the worst towns to live in the state.

Grifton and Ayden just seem so small and there appears to be NOTHING there. I would love to live in Winterville, I just don't think having that long of a commute to the western side of kinston would work well with me (30 miles each way).

I would really appreciate any input, negative or positive, as this is a confusing time for me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 21,704 times
Ayden and Grifton are probably your best bet. What is your price range? That would help.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM

42 posts, read 182,543 times
La Grange has some nice apartments, I'm not sure what they have in houses for rent. It would be small town living (like Ayden or Grifton) but between Goldsboro and Kinston. Depending on where in Kinston it would be a 15 min or so commute.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 AM

451 posts, read 1,904,355 times
Kinston has some nice areas - you should be able to find something decent at a reasonable price there.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info so far. I've found a few places online (but not much details), one complex off of 258 called mt. vernon htat seems like it may be a decent place. Could anyone give me some insight on the ayden/grifton towns? I know they are very small, but I would enjoy being in good proximity to greenville (friends) and kinston (work). I saw a few apts./rentals in grifton, maybe worth a shot? Thanks-

by the way, pretty much open for now as far as price range. I would be willing to spend more to have a nicer place and a sense of security/well-being, and a place to put my motorcycle!

ksj0225- If you have any specific names of places, or places to check out, I would appreciate it!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Grifton is a very small town and I believe it suffered due to flooding during hurricane Floyd. Ayden is bigger but is still pretty small (it at least has a Food Lion, Bojangles, and other restaurants).

Best thing for you to do is just go down to Kinston and ride around. US 258 seemed to be a pretty nice area when I was down there last.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Grifton is a very small town and I believe it suffered due to flooding during hurricane Floyd. Ayden is bigger but is still pretty small (it at least has a Food Lion, Bojangles, and other restaurants).

Best thing for you to do is just go down to Kinston and ride around. US 258 seemed to be a pretty nice area when I was down there last.
Will do. I'm heading there tomorrow (thurs) to ride around and check out some places. Thanks for the help thus far!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM

I think Kinston has nice areas on the northern side of town (north of Vernon Ave). Nice stately homes with smaller ones mixed in and lots of trees.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 13,191 times
Grifton is dieing. Basicly a dump. You might want to try looking at Vanceboro. Travel to ether Kinston or Greenville about 20 mins. Nice town, nice folks and growing. Rent is cheaper there which should off set the cost of the travel.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,218,462 times
Kinston scares me. I'm not sure if the distance is an issue, but have you thought about New Bern? Nice places and there is a freeway between NB and Kinston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina