Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,598 times

Advertisements

We just recently returned from NOrth Topsail Beach and fell in love with the place. We're considering buying a condo there, but the beach erosion issue keeps coming up. How bad is it since we can't compare the beach to past years? What's prognosis? Property seems incredibly cheap. I wonder if that is why.

Last edited by tsaravitch; 09-06-2008 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Modify Headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 AM

983 posts, read 3,976,800 times
You do know at the far end of N. Topsail that there are a series of condos that are actually condemned because of the erosion, don't you? There are no dunes in front of them....just sitting ocean front waiting for just the right storm to take them off of their foundations and into the houses on the streets behind them!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM

218 posts, read 467,605 times
Default Ntb

hI,
Do yourself a favor, If you do buy make sure it is befor you get to the Villa Capriana. The road is prone to wash out past the Villa. It even washes out with heavy rains and not to mention huricanes the road is cut in half and then you have to eait til the marines come with the humves. I can recommend a realtor if you need one that will tell you how it is. While you are thinking of moving here I'll sell you my restaurant. Good Luck>

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaravitch View Post
We just recently returned from NOrth Topsail Beach and fell in love with the place. We're considering buying a condo there, but the beach erosion issue keeps coming up. How bad is it since we can't compare the beach to past years? What's prognosis? Property seems incredibly cheap. I wonder if that is why.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,304 times
hithere right you know you should listen to them yhaaa

Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,872 times
Default Any thought on Carolina Beach?

Anyone with any long term experience at Carolina Beach, NC?
I saw some dune erosion near the North Pier recently that I have never seen before.
Will it recover?
My experience there is only over the last two years.
If you live there or work there have some knowledge of the area I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Bob*

*I just found this site and this is my first post so I hope I'm doing OK.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM

13,346 posts, read 26,855,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob28428 View Post
If you live there or work there have some knowledge of the area I'd like to hear your thoughts.
IMHO, it is a waste of money. Erosion is a natural process that is impossible to stop. The north end will continue to erode. If you are thinking of buying property there, i would have serious doubts about the wisdom of that course.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-03-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,872 times
Thanks for our reply.

Too late for that. My wife had to have that Condo!

by the north end I assume your talking about near the Pier.

I'm about half way between the North Pier and the Tiki Bar downtown-ish.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM

13,346 posts, read 26,855,400 times
Sorry, I misread your post. You asked about Carolina Beach, and I was thinking of North Topsail Beach. I don't know the status of Carolina Beach, but I wouldn't assume any beach will "recover' from erosion.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM

196 posts, read 573,992 times
Seems like I post this once a month. North Topsail Beach is considered one of the most endangered coastal areas on the east coast. http://www.protectthebeach.com/temp/...0paper-05e.pdf

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM

188 posts, read 746,908 times
I can relate to the feelings of the OP. We had a similar experience years ago and fell in love with TI. Unfortunately, what we love about the north end of the island is a temporary thing. We have leased a place for the last 3 years, but are not going to buy a place on the north end. It is just too unstable. Additionally, the town of NTB is very mixed on what, if anything, to do to about inevitable erosion and replinish beaches. It seems no one wants to pay to fight mother nature. My take is to try to enjoy it while it is available, but be very aware of the ongoing changes to the landscape. My prediction is that some point in the relatively near future, New River Inlet Road will end at Villa Capriatti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina