Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 AM

291 posts, read 869,908 times

Advertisements

There are definitely a lot of critters and varmits here. However, that being said, I've been here quite awhile. I've seen snakes(harmless ones) and spiders (there is one that is very common that looks like a black widow but isn't) and possums, raccoons, deer , red foxes, etc. None of these creatures has bothered me and I am outside a good deal and an avid gardener. I love to see the three big box turtles that live in my yard. I enjoy looking at the webs of the big garden spiders. I love those little lizards and they will eat the roaches, as do possums and small snakes. There is a product made by Bayer that is environmentally friendly that you put on your yard once a year that takes care of fire ants, fleas and ticks. There are beautiful birds here to watch. I enjoy going down to the creek in our backyard and feeding fish and the crabs...they are such fun to watch. I have yet to see a water moccasin in our creek and I am down there a lot and the neighbors kids swim in it all the time. Honestly, don't let people scare you about the enviroment here. Read the newspapers here online...you will not find headlines about alligator bites......snake bites.....spider bites....there are a lot of us living life here to the full and not being tortured to death by insects, reptiles and critters. That being said, you will need to adapt an attitude of not living in fear of living with nature here..............are you still thinking of the Hampstead area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 38,927 times
Default MTnester: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quaks like a duck, it is a duck...

About those spiders you say look like black widows but are not. There are probably at least three and possibly more types of black widow spiders found in eastern NC. Some have the tell tale scarlet hourglass markings on the abdomen. Others have two scarlet ovals stretching horzontally across the abdomen one on top of the other, then there is one that has four scarlet dots two side by side above and two side by side below all on the abdomen. So if you see any black spider with scarlet markings on the abdomen you had better assume they are venomous to be safe.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,038 times
Just for fun . . . there is also a Brown Widow.

This pic is a close-up. They are a little larger than a large pea.

Brown Widow Spiders article at University of Florida Extension, Sarasota County

The key to identifying the Widow is the shiny patent leather look. If it's shiny black or brown, it's a Widow. My house is infested (old 1940's farmhouse) but I leave them alone and they leave us alone. I knock them down twice a year. The more you mess with them, the more likely you'll be bitten. I don't mind them because they are "quiet" (they stay in their webs & are non-aggressive), and they do eat their share of 'skeeters and flies.

The Recluse, on the other hand, I don't like to see in the house. Much more likely to bite because they are more likely to feel threatened. These I will kill on sight if they are in or near the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
About those spiders you say look like black widows but are not. There are probably at least three and possibly more types of black widow spiders found in eastern NC. Some have the tell tale scarlet hourglass markings on the abdomen. Others have two scarlet ovals stretching horzontally across the abdomen one on top of the other, then there is one that has four scarlet dots two side by side above and two side by side below all on the abdomen. So if you see any black spider with scarlet markings on the abdomen you had better assume they are venomous to be safe.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
The south in general has plenty of critters. Wilmington is only different in that we built thousands of houses in low-lying areas, because those places are close to the beach, close to the creek, wherever.

Places like Carolina Beach or near the ICWW are going to be lower land, and more critter-friendly. Look for higher ground and less water nearby, and you'll be somewhat better off.

Last edited by le roi; 10-28-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM

169 posts, read 583,179 times
How about Orb Spiders

Old 11-03-2008, 06:58 PM

79 posts, read 313,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Quite frankly if bugs and critters are truly affecting your decision to move to Wilmington, you have issues and you do not need to move down here.

Period.

lln
What LLN said. The bugs are really not an issue unless you have a phobia or you grew up in a bubble

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,944 times
I was thinking about moving to wilmington...I still would love to move there. I have made many visits, Im not worried about any animals except the snakes. I have a major phobia. I live where there are gardner snakes that you see all the time, but the bigger snakes are in woodsy areas but you barely see them, the bigger ones are what bother me. What I am wondering is, are there alot of venoumous snakes around the city or just more towards pender county? i fear for my son who is two that loves to look at the snakes with his father. I love wilmington because it is the style of living I am looking for.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_maryann View Post
What I am wondering is, are there alot of venoumous snakes around the city or just more towards pender county?
The majority of poisonous snakes in the southeast (Coral, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Water Moccasin) have a range from roughly Miami to Virginia Beach.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,734 times
The bugs in wilmington are horrible!!!!! There everywhere I dont care if you live in town or out by the water theres no getting away from them!!! So lets not sugar coat it for people who might want to move here...

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 97,184 times
Default Oh boy

There are no words for how traumatized I'd be if a giant flying cockroach came at me. Actually, it wouldn't even need to come near me.

When are these monsters out? How big are they? Should I expect to occasionally encounter these in my home? (Please say no!)

I know it isn't the slightest bit rational, but I'd take a room full of spiders over a single cockroach. I can't even go near dead ones. And I've never even seen one that's "giant".

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me (at least I don't think so), but I do want to know what to expect. I'm currently considering Holly Ridge, but could end anywhere in that general area, as long as it's close to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina