Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 AM

158 posts, read 195,764 times

Advertisements

I have a cat that scouts out insects in our house and either eats them right away or they somehow die after. Are there many insects that get into the house that can hurt or kill a cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitak View Post
I have a cat that scouts out insects in our house and either eats them right away or they somehow die after. Are there many insects that get into the house that can hurt or kill a cat?
I wouldn't think so. One of my cats used to like to catch and eat the giant cockroaches (aka "Palmetto Bugs"), but he outgrew that phase.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I haven't looked it up but I assume black widow spiders are toxic to cats as well as humans?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:36 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,362,327 times
We live in fear of our lives every day. Mostly of an elderly person having a stroke while behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound vehicle. We seldom think about bugs and critters.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
We live in fear of our lives every day. Mostly of an elderly person having a stroke while behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound vehicle. We seldom think about bugs and critters.
I'm more worried about the younger ones playing with their cellphones while behind the wheel, myself.

But I do agree. Fear of bugs and snakes and coyotes and bears pales in comparison to fear of the damage done by your fellow man.

On the subject of black widow spiders; I have seen them in my yard more than once. They like to build their webs inside the cover of my underground propane tank in the fall. I have never had one inside the house, though, although I do have other spiders, like daddy longlegs, get inside occasionally.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:28 PM

524 posts, read 843,371 times
My brother lives in downtown Wilmington and on my visits I have encountered those giant palmetto bugs outside as well as the lizards, mosquitoes and rats. Haven't seen the spiders.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
I'd be more concerned about oleander and other poisonous plants. Make sure your kitty doesn't try to chew on that!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Ticks are pretty bad in the summer in much of NC, and apparently Lyme Disease is on the upswing? I actually know two people who got it in recent years and still suffer some effects from it. Cats obviously would get ticks and perhaps even bring them in to you, unless it was a 100% indoor cat. Black Widows are indeed dangerous, though I doubt they would be likely to get into a house--we've found more than one in our garage though. Brown recluses are another poisonous spider, but I don't know how prevalent they are.

Mosquitoes are the most annoying "critter" in the South, and cats don't affect them (though BATS eat them! Lots of bats around here, but they're smaller than you see in the movies and you usually just see them flying and could easily think they were birds.) There are roaches here, like everywhere, probably the same amount of annoyance as anywhere. "Palmetto bugs" are, I think, just a larger kind of roach? That FLIES...

I personally am not squeamish about bugs (though wary of poisonous ones and ticks); it's the snakes, specifically copperheads, that are in every county of NC. Cottonmouths/water moccasins (same thing) are rare but the coastal area is where you find them. Rattlesnakes are scariest of all, and different species are in the Eastern, central, and western parts of the state. But I'm happy to say I've lived in NC all my 50+ years and never seen a rattlesnake except in a museum.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 580 times
Any tarantulas?? They have been in Florida for a while. I'm wondering if they have come up to NC.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfpharris View Post
Any tarantulas?? They have been in Florida for a while. I'm wondering if they have come up to NC.
Only on the burgers: https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/no...ils-salivating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina