Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM

858 posts, read 2,984,791 times

Advertisements

I'm researching medical facitlities in areas that we are considering retiring to and am wondering if you guys can enlighten us as to the differences in these facilities.

Jacksonville with a population of 69,000 has Onslow Memorial Hospital, while New Bern, with a population of 22,000 has Craven Regional Medical Center, and Pinehurst with a population of 12,000 has Moore Regional Hospital.

I would think that the regional hospitals offer more advanced care? If so, why wouldn't Jacksonville have an advanced hospital?

Thank you,....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 PM

223 posts, read 1,062,340 times
[quote=marc515;427848]I'm researching medical facitlities in areas that we are considering retiring to and am wondering if you guys can enlighten us as to the differences in these facilities.

Jacksonville with a population of 69,000 has Onslow Memorial Hospital, while New Bern, with a population of 22,000 has Craven Regional Medical Center, and Pinehurst with a population of 12,000 has Moore Regional Hospital.

I would think that the regional hospitals offer more advanced care? If so, why wouldn't Jacksonville have an advanced hospital?

I am very familiar with Moore Regional Hospital. It is part of First Health of the Carolinas, and is a top notch facility. It's presence and committment to Moore County and surrounding areas is tremendous and this is reflected in the quality of care provided. In addition to the hospital, there is the new Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, which is one of the largest free-standing surgical centers in the country. The doctors and other health professionals that serve the community are first-rate, and I think you would be very pleased overall.

We had to visit the ER once at Onslow Memorial Hospital, and while I felt we received decent care, the facility itself was rundown and dirty. I was glad our emergency wasn't a major one and that our stay was brief. Jacksonville is a military town, so there may be another hospital on the marine base itself.

Sorry, but don't have any information about Craven Hospital in New Bern.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 48,008 times
I'm looking to relocate and visited craven as an employment oppertunity. They have approx. 313 beds in the facility. It looks like it's been around for awhile (no shiny new things). Everyone was very friendly and the new bern area itself is beautiful!!! A decent looking E.R.(that's where I would be working) They don't do major traumas, they would stablize you, package you up and send you to pitt county hosp in greenville. If you need cardiovascular or thoracic surgery they do that. The unit has 5 beds where greenvilles has 14 and they do more intense surgeries. If you have anymore questions about the facility they have a decent web site. just put "new bern craven hospital" into your search engine as I don't remember it off hand. Good Luck -weski2

Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 AM

20 posts, read 59,548 times
I am an RN also and am looking at employment opportunities. Had originally planned to live near my daughter in Raleigh, work at Duke possible. But these towns near the water seem to be pulling at my heart. Love the marshes, rivers, and wildlife. This would suit my husband more. With just a 2 hour drive, we could visit every week. Much better than the drive from Atlanta. I will check out the New Bern Hospital first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina