Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 9,563 times

Advertisements

I've been to Moorehead City/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach on vacation and loved it. Now that we are looking at places to move to, can anyone tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly on actually living there? Be honest!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,066,956 times
Weather is the major bad for me. That area seems to get a lot of rain all summer long. I'm about 55 miles from there as the crow flies and I watch the weather radar all of the time. The rain just seems to linger along the Crystal Coast for hours even when it's sunny everywhere else.

I did make a post in another thread about weather hazards in eastern NC in general but that area directly on the ocean worries me. It has been a very long time since it has been wacked by a strong hurricane. There has been an overabundance of building there since then and I'm afraid of what may happen when the big one does hit.

Last summer I stayed in a house in the Outer Banks and the owner had pics of the area before a hurricane back in the 70s and a pic after a hurricane hit. Of course back then there weren't as many houses and businesses. The before pics pretty much looked like it does today with plants, bushes and trees everywhere. The after pics were very dramatic with everything gone except for some houses.

The taxes down there are pretty steep too.

On the other hand it is a very nice area and it is not near as touristy as the Outer Banks. My wife and I did consider buying a trailer there for the weekends but that hurricane threat convinced us otherwise. I think if we want to spend a week there we'll rent something instead.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 AM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times
We've lived in the area for 4 years.

I'd say the biggest draw back would be finding employment--do you need to?

If you work in construction, home-related or health-care fields, you'll do fine. Or if your work is home-based on the computer. Otherwise, most work is service or tourist industry related and not high paying. Expect not much above minimum wages.

Weather. We get rain in bunches. It will rain really hard for a bit, then the sun comes out again. We don't get extended periods of rain. Lots of sunshine, blue skies. Two months in summer are hot and sticky--but the nights are soft and lovely.

There are many artists and creative people here. You can learn to paint or become a photographer if you like. Our community college offers lots of classes for enrichment and skill-developing. If you like boat-building, give the Maritime Museum a try--they offer opportunities to learn and participate.

Our property taxes are among the lowest in NC but there's been a re-evaluation and we're waiting to find out what the new tax rate will be. The rumor is the evaluations went up, but the rate will go down, so taxes may be lower. But we're waiting to find out.

Keep in mind, these are small towns. So a lot of your enjoyment will depend on what you make of it. There are volunteer opportunities, bridge clubs, quilting groups, book groups, kayaking trips, several golf courses, and lots of get-togethers with neighbors for pot lucks. The music scene is lively and there are good musicians here.

Summer traffic, especially in the beach communities, gets heavy during the season in the summer. Off-season, it's a breeze.

All in all, we give this area an A.

Friendly, lots to do--especially water-related and summers are lots of fun, with music everywhere. Winters are quieter and it's often tee-shirt weather in December. Jan/Feb are the coldest months. Today, it's 63 and the daffodils and azaleas are in bloom and the robins are courting. Spring comes early to the Crystal Coast.

Best of all, to me, are the friendly people and the miles of beach to stroll. We've walked the beaches in all seasons--right after a storm is when you find the best shells.

Come on down, you'll like it.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM

148 posts, read 608,786 times
I can help find you a home

Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,001,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson_37876 View Post
I've been to Moorehead City/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach on vacation and loved it. Now that we are looking at places to move to, can anyone tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly on actually living there? Be honest!
i just came back from checking out this exact area (to move to). I should first disclose a couple of things one i'm a woman, two i'm from a very small town in massachusetts (small by MA standards - 10,000 people, 2 traffic lights in the entire town, one restaurant and very small downtown it's perfect for me except for the weather). So with that said: LOVED downtown beaufort (lots of great little quaint shops, restaurants, waterfront's stunning, homes are picture perfect new england), the other side of beaufort (past the downtown) was too far out for me personally (and too much out in the middle of no where).

Stayed in Pine Knoll Shores (just a little way from Atlantic Beach), loved it; peaceful, quiet, great beach (decent looking homes - by my standard - were around $379,000 and up but hello the strip of land isn't that wide so you're pretty darn close to the water). The people seemed a bit more friendly in Pine Knoll Shores than Beaufort. While walking around in Pine Knoll shores (and driving around too) people either said hello how are you (while walking) or waved to us in our car. Not too many people said hello in beaufort.

Morehead City was very different than what I'm used to (again small, quiet town is what I like), driving down route 70 was like driving down route 1 in massachusetts (stirp malls, car dealerships, etc.) I didn't feel like it would be "right" for me even checked out some houses off N. 20th street but didn't really care for them or the area BUT when i checked out the houses down by shore drive along the sound side OH MY!!!!! now I thought that section was gorgeous and even found a few houses that weren't too crazy in price for being so close to the sound ($389K for one house). Too bad I can't afford this area. The one thing I noticed was that there were no discount clothing/home stores like TJMaxx or Homegoods. The morehead police department has a website with message board. One question posted was about a particular area (somewhere around N. 14th), the person wanted to know how safe it was and the police officer did mention there is a soup kitchen in that block and something else maybe homeless shelter that surprised me (and turned me off a bit).

New Bern (where the majority of the jobs are at least for my hubby) is almost an hour and 20 minutes from Beaufort, morehead is a bit closer, interesting emerald isle is actually closer to new bern than morehead.

Good luck with your search. I hope some of this helped.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,006,294 times
I'm a 25 year resident of Morehead City and Carteret County. Surfingatwork gave a pretty good description of the area.
The are of N14th street that you mentioned has traditionally been the "depressed" area of town. It encompasses approx. a 10-12 blocK area. It is also going thru a rejunification!

Rainfall in Morehead City: //pics.city-data.com/w3/prc15497.png (broken link)

And better yet, Snowfall in Morehead City: //pics.city-data.com/w5/snw15497.png (broken link)

Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 PM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times
Default Your visit

I'm so happy you liked downtown Beaufort..it is special isn't it? We live here and love it, too...strolling the waterfront and listening to all the music in the summer is wonderful. And the little ferries to Shakelford Banks to grab a private beach spot is something else we like to do. Lots of unusual shops, locally made jewelry and artisan goods are what I like most about shopping downtown.

And heaven to me is the local wine shop/coffee shop that has free music on weekends and has a gourmet chocolate manufacturing business on the top floor--an "only in Beaufort" type of business..get a glass of wine, grab a chocolate bar with 70% dark chocolate, listen to music and hookup with friends.

One can buy a house within biking distance to downtown Beaufort--within a half mile--starting at $189,000. I know because there's a cute one in my neighborhood at that price. 3/2, 1350 square feet, very clean and appears to be move-in ready.

Personally, I don't find living a half mile from the waterfront to be inconvenient--in fact, I prefer it as it's out of the summer tourist hub bub--I ride my bike everywhere downtown.

So, though one can find million dollar plus homes here right on the water, you can also find a cute livable place in a friendly neighborhood for under $200,000--if you're quick. Beaufort's getting discovered.

Sorry if I sound too much like a booster. I just really like my adopted home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina