Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,161 times

Advertisements

and had a few questions. First of all, my wife has been offered a good position at the hospital in Wilmington and we would be relocating from Ohio. I am wondering how hard it will be for myself to find employment in Wilmington, as I am a environmental, safety, and health engineer. Also, we have 2 daughters in grade school that attend a catholic school in Ohio, so we are concerned about the education. From all that I have read, it seems like Brunswick County is a good place to live and would appreciate any info that anyone could supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 AM

214 posts, read 822,846 times
Default Brunswick County would be great for you and your family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movbez4 View Post
and had a few questions. First of all, my wife has been offered a good position at the hospital in Wilmington and we would be relocating from Ohio. I am wondering how hard it will be for myself to find employment in Wilmington, as I am a environmental, safety, and health engineer. Also, we have 2 daughters in grade school that attend a catholic school in Ohio, so we are concerned about the education. From all that I have read, it seems like Brunswick County is a good place to live and would appreciate any info that anyone could supply.
First of all congrats to your wife? Health care is a thriving employer here, and we always welcome newcomers.
Does her job offer any type of relocation assistance? That would be a great place to start first. If not, the major employers here are PPD, Corning, GE, Progress Energy, and I am sure I have missed a few.
Schooldigger.com is the best website out there to research schools, both public and private.
If you need more infor. please DM me, I have assisted many relocate to this area from all over the country.
Good luck, moving across country can be daunting, and I am positive the area will meet or exceed your expectations. Are you planning to visit the area first, it probably wouldn't hurt to come down this way and explore.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,161 times
Strangely, we spent the night in Wilmington back in September on our way to Myrtle Beach with us having no idea that we could be relocating to that area. My spuse als has a similiar ffer in Greenville, North Carlina, so we are going to have to make a decision.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,339 times
I haven't heard good things about Brunswick County schools. Plus if you live in Brunswick County, but work in Wilmington, you have to deal with having only two bridges to get across the Cape Fear River into Wilmington. Those bridges go up when big ships come thru, and sometimes you will sit there for a looong time waiting for the bridges to go back down. It's something to keep in mind.

There is a Catholic school in Wilmington (Eastwood Rd). I grew up in a very small town in Ohio and was lucky enough to obtain a solid educational foundation. I moved here in high school and noticed a difference - school was much easier here and less was expected of me. Of course that was 14 or 15 yrs ago. But considering all of the issues I have had with my 3 kids in public schools, I really wish I could afford private school. If you can afford Catholic school, I would recommend it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,339 times
I should add that there ARE some good elementary schools in Wilmington. Here is a link to the NC school "grade cards":

NC School Report Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina