Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 51,761 times

Advertisements

Having spent time in charlotte and Raleigh, two cities that rate high on "the lists" Wilmington steps ahead, traffic is not the problem as described, there is a new beltway around the west side of the city, allows you to go from the northside to downtown in 9-10 minutes... try that in charlotte or raleigh...I have not good, we have a couple of drawbridges that operate and some folks complain about that... but then Wilmington is on the water...small price to pay,,, sit for a minute and enjoy the boats/view. Its not run down, and the riverfront as well as the wrightsville , ICWW areas are great spots.

as to crime I wouldn't suggest testing the police in Wrightsville, as they will not hesitate to give one a free room for the evening. Point is there is a lot of money invested here and more coming in regularly, including the figure 8, Ogden/Porters Neck the Film indusrtry and growing pains are there with any city... But I don't recall ever driving around town and seeing construction debris, including appliances on the side of the highway... like I have in Raleigh.

Its a wonderful place and you would be amazed as to how many folks come here and don't leave... its a "frame of mind" if you'd like photos check...[SIZE=+0]http://www.northcarolinatravels.com/wilmington/wilmington-photos/index.htm[/SIZE]
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM

49 posts, read 335,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Well I've lived in both places, CharlottaPA. If you think of Charlotte like four quadrants (North is the college area, north of there [Huntersville etc] is nice with some pockets of icky, South is the nicer side of town but again has some pockets of questionable living, East used to be a nice, family-friendly area, but is now mostly sketchy. West... well.... lock your doors.

That's the same with Wilmington. It has its pockets. It's no different than Anywhere, USA. There are good pockets and not-so-good pockets. Traffic sucks, yes. But it does in Charlotte, Raleigh and other points in NC. We're a growing state and the government isn't doing enough to keep up. When they do try, it's overturned by the public outcries because it costs us more money to accomodate that growth.

Also, I think Charlotte's crime rate is way worse than Wilmington. Totally my two cents.

I, too, have young children and my primary focus is researching the school system. Once I have that data, I break down my housing search in that school district and seek the best neighborhood that fits my budget.

However, there is the option of private or home schooling and you can pick whatever neighborhood strikes your fancy.

City Data is good for general information. Don't take it all as truth. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. In person. Not based on what you read here. Best of luck!

Thanks. We're planning on moving to Southport and working in north Brunswick. This post was vastly more informative than the usual posts that read "everything Wilmington sucks, blah blah" that seem to dominate this board.

We'll give it a try. If we don't like it, we'll move. No sweat, right!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Default Brunswick County is a great place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
What about the other side of Wilmington--on the Brunswick side towards Southport? I read only bad wraps about it from the usual posters on these boards that are negative on all things Wilmington. What's another resident's perspective?
I personally have emailed those who continuously trash Wilmington and Brunswick county, and have found their negativity stems from their own inability to find anything positive in their lives at the moment, due to being laid off, or wanting to relocate elsewhere, but don't know where, and in general just not being happy at the moment. I don't know why the moderators aren't stepping in?
I myself have lived in major cities across the country, and relocated to Brunswick county about 4 years ago. I am not retired, I make a decent living, I was able to afford a place to buy, which I might add has increased in value. I do not find the traffic horrendous, try living in DC or Atlanta, and I find the historic charm of Wilmington and Southport very appealing. Our proximity to the ocean and pristine beaches, make this a very desirable area to live. Wilmington has been ranked as the #7 best place to live in the country, and Charlotte just received #1 ranking. It is laid back, people are friendly, and the cost of living is low, due to our low taxes, compared to NJ, NY, DC, etc. We have excellent medical facilities, great Universities, close to major airports. It may not be for everyone, but having lived throughout the country, it sure is a great place to explore. I love the fact that if I'm running late to meeting, or have to reschedule an appointment, people are understanding and take it in stride, rather than berate you for things that are out of your control. It is a much easier pace of life. Something we all need these days.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
Thanks. We're planning on moving to Southport and working in north Brunswick. This post was vastly more informative than the usual posts that read "everything Wilmington sucks, blah blah" that seem to dominate this board.

We'll give it a try. If we don't like it, we'll move. No sweat, right!
Well you're right. This is not a busy forum. There are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of posts about "Hi I'm relocating next year..." and that gets old. Heck there should be a sticky placed for those looking for general info. But then there are postings like yours where the responders here really affect your decision. Just keep in mind the sources. Like Seashellbelle said, many that respond are in a bad frame of mind due to their personal problems. Not all, but several. I think that Raylebrun is on point about mindset. I've lived all over the state, as well as large cities in other states. Wilmington has been my fave place and I am thrilled to be returning.

And you're also right in that you can always move. I think you'll be surprised.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
I personally have emailed those who continuously trash Wilmington and Brunswick county, and have found their negativity stems from their own inability to find anything positive in their lives at the moment, due to being laid off, or wanting to relocate elsewhere, but don't know where, and in general just not being happy at the moment. I don't know why the moderators aren't stepping in? control. .
Moderator note:
This is from the terms of service
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.
If members want to search a prior topic they have the option to do so. Just because you may hang out in this forum and get tired of similar topics , other members are welcome to ask what they want to know
Terms of Service - City-Data Forum

Quote:
Well you're right. This is not a busy forum. There are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of posts about "Hi I'm relocating next year..." and that gets old. Heck there should be a sticky placed for those looking for general info. But then there are postings like yours where the responders here really affect your decision. Just keep in mind the sources. Like Seashellbelle said, many that respond are in a bad frame of mind due to their personal problems. Not all, but several. I think that Raylebrun is on point about mindset.
moderator note:
Just because you may hang out in this forum and get tired of similar topics , other members are welcome to ask what they want to know. Again everyone is allowed to share their opinions as long as it does not violate the terms of service that we all agreed to upon registering.

Please do not discuss matters relating to this forum in the coastal forum as it would be consider off topic. We have a forum to discuss forum issues and that is here.
About the Forum

Thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I was one the the people you emailed. I actually emailed you, but whose keeping track. charlotte did just receive a #1 ranking in the best place to live. if wilmington was #7 at some point, it is somewhere around 50 right now. is that to say that wilmington isn't a good place to live? it depends on what you are looking for. if you are a self starter who can't live without the ocean, then it is perfect for you. I have never trashed wilmington or brunswick county, I simply offered my own experience through my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
I personally have emailed those who continuously trash Wilmington and Brunswick county, and have found their negativity stems from their own inability to find anything positive in their lives at the moment, due to being laid off, or wanting to relocate elsewhere, but don't know where, and in general just not being happy at the moment. I don't know why the moderators aren't stepping in?
I myself have lived in major cities across the country, and relocated to Brunswick county about 4 years ago. I am not retired, I make a decent living, I was able to afford a place to buy, which I might add has increased in value. I do not find the traffic horrendous, try living in DC or Atlanta, and I find the historic charm of Wilmington and Southport very appealing. Our proximity to the ocean and pristine beaches, make this a very desirable area to live. Wilmington has been ranked as the #7 best place to live in the country, and Charlotte just received #1 ranking. It is laid back, people are friendly, and the cost of living is low, due to our low taxes, compared to NJ, NY, DC, etc. We have excellent medical facilities, great Universities, close to major airports. It may not be for everyone, but having lived throughout the country, it sure is a great place to explore. I love the fact that if I'm running late to meeting, or have to reschedule an appointment, people are understanding and take it in stride, rather than berate you for things that are out of your control. It is a much easier pace of life. Something we all need these days.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 68,860 times
If you do move to Wilmington, check out real estate on some of the islands like Wrightsville and Topsail Island. Although Wilmington itself is very beautiful with its mossy live oaks and deep south charm, the islands such as Topsail are absolutely gorgeous and a quick drive to town. I would recommend Welcome to ExploreTopsail.com - it is very good for looking at real estate in Topsail Island and the Wilmington area.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
If you have the resources to pick the right spot, and do the right things, I think Wilmington can be great. If not, and you have to get by, then you may end up in trouble.

I expect a lot of the discontent with Wilmington is due to what it should be (potential) and what it is turning out to be (reality). The crime bounced against the increase in prices bounced against the traffic issues, all point to a lack of planning, vision, foresight by those who should have been looking ahead. As a result, a lot of Wilmington has been developed in a "let me get mine" mindset, and as a result, the many parts do not add up to what the whole could have been.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
In March, Forbes came out with their 'Best Places for Business and Careers.' Out of the top 200 locations listed, Raleigh ranked 1st and Wilmington was ranked 38th.

Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Just as an aside, my wife and I moved to Wilmington from the DC area several years ago and we absolutely love it here. We started in Wilmington and eventually shifted down to Carolina Beach. We have enjoyed both locations and have met many wonderful friends along the way.

Like any town, you make of it what you want.

As for us, this place is spot on ;-)

PS. Like an earlier poster stated, many 'positive' Wilmingtonians stopped following this site because it became besieged by a few naysayers with a very vocal agenda. After awhile, the annoyance factor became too high.
I mention this so you'll understand why their aren't a good variety of posts here.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
There are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of posts about "Hi I'm relocating next year..." and that gets old. Heck there should be a sticky placed for those looking for general info.

Almost the same could be said for the Maine forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina