Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Like any town, you make of it what you want.

As for us, this place is spot on ;-)

PS. Like an earlier poster stated, many 'positive' Wilmingtonians stopped following this site because it became besieged by a few naysayers with a very vocal agenda. After awhile, the annoyance factor became too high.
I mention this so you'll understand why their aren't a good variety of posts here.
We have the same problem with Greenville. A few people do a very good job of making it look much, much worse than it is.

We came from Just south of Annapolis back in 06 and we like it a lot. Our kids moved down last year and they have no intentions of moving back either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 17,740 times
I like Wilmington for shopping, but I wouldn't live there. I like the smaller towns outside of Wilmington. We live in the Burgaw area. I do like living in Burgaw but even that is getting to big and is expected to grow up to three times bigger in the next five years. We're thinking of moving to Atkinson. Its only 6 miles from Hwy 421 and 25 min from Wilmington. We are just waiting for the right house to come on the market. I guess we just like the small town atmosphere and can get a three bedroom two bath house with half an acre for under $200,000. People know one another and the Pender schools are pretty good.
Don't be put off by Wilmington just do some research into areas around it. And stay away from the Leland area !

Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 21,589 times
Wilmington is still a Southern town with small town ways and small town thinking. With children in Elementary school, you would want to send them to the schools in Wilmington. Some good school districts are Holly Tree, Eaton Elementary, Parsley Elementary and Codington. Both Eaton and Codington are year round schools. The crime rate is high in some of the "inner city areas", but no higher than other similar areas. The beaches are beautiful and well kept. Due to Hurricanes that rip through here, I would not advise living on the beach, but there are many nice areas to live. Downtown is for the college kids and is not very safe after 9:00 at night. That's reality. There are many outsiders here and many locals that are not very happy about that, and one does not realize that until one moves here. However, it is truly a beautiful place to live and work. Traffic can be bad, but no worse than other areas I have lived. Poor planning makes this a reality for Wilmington.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 37,145 times
Default Just my opinion......

I grew up in Charlotte, joined the Navy and traveled the world for a bit. Moved to Wilmington in September and I must say Wilmington is the pits! It has the potential to be a nice city if it wasn't for the fact that the Good Ol' Boy system is rampent here-in other words you really have to know someone to get a job in this town. The politics of buisiness here is the most backwards I have ever seen. The population is mixed, your either from the north or your a southern born native, and if the natives find out your not a local then forgett it they will have nothing to do with you. I think its the whole Rebels vs. Yankees mentality mostly on the southerners part. YEE HAW THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN! Im not saying everyone is like that but I will say the majority is. The traffic isn't bad but the drivers are horrible, I think it stems from the fact that the northerners are in a hurry to get somewhere and the southerners arent in a hurry to get anywhere. Accident rate is high, cost of living is high with the wages being the lowest I have ever experienced. Seems to be that the general idea of pet care is, "if we can't take care of em' anymore then lets get rid of em' like we are throwing out the trash". There is no nightlife here unless you like hanging out downtown with the college kids. The waterfront is nice, the weather is great and the bbq sucks a fat one. So to sum it up, I love the south but Wilmington blows it is a work in progress, it has the potential to be a nice place in the long run, someplace where one can go and retire. But if your looking for a low cost of living, a decent wage and a job then stay away this place isnt it! This is just my opinion and my experiences just in the short time I have been here. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM

24 posts, read 124,785 times
"Good Ol' Boy system is rampent
our really have to know someone to get a job in this town
politics of buisiness here is the most backwards I have ever seen.
Rebels vs. Yankees mentality mostly on the southerners part. YEE HAW THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!
the drivers are horrible
if we can't take care of em' anymore then lets get rid of em' like we are throwing out the trash".
Wilmington blows it is a work in progress"
If you can keep an open mind, Wilmington is great ! Lots of job options for educated folks. We are the bio-pharm center and you can check PPD, AAIPHARMA, and KENDLE.
If you have a " it's better in XXYZ " attitude you will be disappointed.
I moved here 6 years ago and make more than I did in Cali.( And it goes A LOT FARTHER )
My wife has soared through the pay scales at a bio firm.
If you accept a $7 an hour job , you will hate Wilmington. Get a job, work hard and prosper !
In my experience, the politics of business here is be VERY qualified or get gone..

Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 37,145 times
Default re: rhel63

Well just to comment on the response from rhel63, "the politics of business here is be VERY qualified or get gone" I have extensive schooling with over 10yrs of experience in my field and yet have not been able to find anything in my line of work, understandably the economy is in a slump but when locals tell me its because I am not from here and I see and meet people that are leaving because there is no work here then yes I am a little sour and yes I am getting gone!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 PM

24 posts, read 124,785 times
What is your field ? Have you networked ?
You do realize Brunswick county is the 13th fastest growing county. Opportunity for locals or qualifications for potential employees ?
I have never heard " You aint from round here " .

What employers have said that ?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 24,258 times
Default relocation to wilmington

I am currently living in northern Michigan and have to relocate because of grad school. I have a daughter in grad school at UNC Wilmington. I have two kids still in high school, and was thinking of checking out moving to Wilmington. I spent a week with my daughter and two kids there. Oldest daughter has lived in W for about 8 months. I have decided not to move- main reason is crime. In checking crime rates, it doesn't rank far behind Albuquerque, which I disregarded for the same reasons. It is much prettier, but my daughter has to be very careful where she goes and when she goes out...this was confirmed to us by the owner of the B and B we stayed at as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonanne View Post
I am currently living in northern Michigan and have to relocate because of grad school. I have a daughter in grad school at UNC Wilmington. I have two kids still in high school, and was thinking of checking out moving to Wilmington. I spent a week with my daughter and two kids there. Oldest daughter has lived in W for about 8 months. I have decided not to move- main reason is crime. In checking crime rates, it doesn't rank far behind Albuquerque, which I disregarded for the same reasons. It is much prettier, but my daughter has to be very careful where she goes and when she goes out...this was confirmed to us by the owner of the B and B we stayed at as well.
You're absolutely right. There's way too much crime for a town this size. We've been here five years and unfortunately, it has just steadily gotten worse.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
crime in wilmington is a joke if you have ever lived in a city. it's unfortunate that the police department here is so bad, because crime really only happens in a few areas. you have to be careful where you go out and when you go out in any city you are in. this includes mayberry. any town of 250,000+ is going to have pockets of crime, no matter where you are. however, since I don't like people moving here, I will say that crime is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina