Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM

98 posts, read 341,794 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to the Charlotte area so I haven't been to many of the NC beaches. However, I have family coming to visit the end of March. There will be 3 of us in our mid-late 20s and a 2 year old. I want to give my family the beach experience but not sure where to take them.

I've been to Myrtle and it wasn't my scene at all. Can you recommend a good, clean beach with family activities? I don't want to feel like I'm on spring break but I don't want to be totally secluded.

Any advice? I've heard good and bad about Carolina and Wrightsville both so I'm a little confused!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Yeah, I don't like Myrtle Beach either. Litchfield, and Pawleys are much better family beaches in that area, Garden City and Surfside are good too. Brunswick Cty, NC has good beaches at Holden and Sunset, and probably others I haven't been to. I've never been to any of them north of Wilmington in the rest of NC - but I hear good things.

I'm not too crazy about the New Hanover beaches, though. Figure Eight is private-access, Masonboro is difficult to access (only via water), so everybody piles into Wrightsville. Carolina and Kure Beaches are a little different. Violent surf, grimy water, with a few really sketchy tourists and locals. I go down there plenty, because a beach is a beach, but Carolina Beach in particular has some Myrtle Beach-ish qualities.

Last edited by le roi; 03-11-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 AM

291 posts, read 869,984 times
I think you would enjoy Wrightsville - it's a nice beach. Topsail Island is also nice. Since you are in Charlotte, you could also consider beaches down near Charleston, SC. It's about a 4 hr. drive to either come over to the NC beaches or head south to the SC beaches. We used to love going to Pawleys Island beaches.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM

323 posts, read 1,791,138 times
Topsail beach is awesome and any Outer Banks weekend is very nice. I have seen all of the lighthouses in nc , probably more than many natural born North Carolinians. (per many of them) and they are truly gorgeous!
I agree with the posters about the beaches in wilmington and Myrtle Beach is not my thing either. Wasnt impressed at all.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM

144 posts, read 556,217 times
Topsail is nice, but lacking in a lot of activities...Unless all you want to do is go out to yummy seafood restaurants and sit on the beach...it depends on what type of activities you are looking for. I might look more towards the outer banks if you dont want Wrightsville or CB

Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM

98 posts, read 341,794 times
Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 PM

43 posts, read 146,807 times
Go for both, they are less than 1/2 hour from each other. Follow Carolina Beach Road 421 to 132 North to Oleander, get on Oleander and head towards Wrightsville Beach to Eastwood Road, Turn right on eastwood road and once you cross the bridge you are there. Wrigthsville is a bit classier but also a bit more crowded and smaller. Carolina Beach has Fort Fisher on one end and Freeman's Park on the other that allow for on the beach 4 wheel access. There is something about driving out on the sand that makes the beach more wonderful than just a walk along the populated areas.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 AM

116 posts, read 533,081 times
I'm surprised someone would describe the waters here on Pleasure Island as grimy? In 2007, Kure Beach was honored by the Natural Resources Defense Council as being a 'beach buddy.' Only 13 beaches in the nation received this recognition. (the only other NC beach was Kill Devils Hill Beach).

https://www.nrdc.org/media/2007/070807.asp

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
I'm surprised someone would describe the waters here on Pleasure Island as grimy? In 2007, Kure Beach was honored by the Natural Resources Defense Council as being a 'beach buddy.' Only 13 beaches in the nation received this recognition. (the only other NC beach was Kill Devils Hill Beach).

https://www.nrdc.org/media/2007/070807.asp
^That means bacteria counts are low. That is a good thing, it indicates less pollution from stormwater. However, even if bacteria levels were high, the water would not necessarily be "grimy" like I stated.

The Ecology of the Cape Fear River System (http://www.uncwil.edu/riverrun/river_tutorial/CFRSystem.htm - broken link)
Satellite image of Cape Fear

^ This an aerial photograph of the Cape Fear River estuary. You can see the brown discharge from the Cape Fear River out into the ocean, and this is what I am referring to. Snows Cut carries a lot of river water through the north end of Carolina Beach at Carolina Beach Inlet.

Last edited by le roi; 03-15-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 18,557 times
Wrightsville Beach is a more upscale beach vs. Carolina Beach which is less so.
The actual beach itself there is no difference. Both are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina