Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Panel rules in favor of city in red light lawsuit - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
The Eastern NC Food Commercialization Center is funded with the new State budget alongside $215 million for a new Brody Medical School building!

Plans for Food Commercialization Center move forward - Daily Reflector
https://www.wnct.com/local-news/fina...ocal-projects/

Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The Eastern NC Food Commercialization Center is funded with the new State budget alongside $215 million for a new Brody Medical School building!

Plans for Food Commercialization Center move forward - Daily Reflector
https://www.wnct.com/local-news/fina...ocal-projects/
https://www.wral.com/cooper-to-veto-...dget/18479819/

Old 07-02-2019, 07:04 AM

89 posts, read 130,551 times
Trollingwood Taproom and Brewery had their big "final" event this past Sunday. I've heard rumors from the owner that they were planning on nixing the brewery part and turning it into a taproom/bar that focuses on local bands/talent. I think this could work well. Other than the State theater now, not many, if any, places downtown are solely focused on local talent. Trollingwood has had small bands from all over the world play there including bands from Europe. I think if they would step up their advertising game, they could really do well.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
US 264 E onramp in Greenville to close for one month starting July 8

Presumably to finish improvements related to the SW Bypass. Will be happy when this is complete, and expecting that this means we're nearing the finish line.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Trollingwood Taproom and Brewery had their big "final" event this past Sunday. I've heard rumors from the owner that they were planning on nixing the brewery part and turning it into a taproom/bar that focuses on local bands/talent. I think this could work well. Other than the State theater now, not many, if any, places downtown are solely focused on local talent. Trollingwood has had small bands from all over the world play there including bands from Europe. I think if they would step up their advertising game, they could really do well.
Thats a great idea. With Pitt St across the street now as well as others downtown, a local place on Dickinson to have live music would likely do well, especially if its an over 21 crowd where it maybe isnt so college oriented. I think there is a place for ALL of the investors of the past 5 years in downtown Greenville...but its contingent on "creating" demand from the non college crowd and getting the older folks downtown. I feel like the streetscape project will help tremendously as well as if the City would move up whatever slow timeline they have created with the Imperial redevelopment project.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 AM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
North Carolina Is Experiencing a Tech Jobs Boom, Experts Say

This has implications for Greenville.

First, we're only 75 minutes in traffic from downtown Raleigh. That's closer than most of Silicon Valley, and people commute in from much farther. As Raleigh grows more expensive, we can draw in those outlying workers. (And for as much as we may lament the lack of non-highway connections to Raleigh in that future, most of my SF-based colleagues still drive to work each day).

Second, as Raleigh grows as a tech destination, the cost of extending those high-end services to Greenville (Google Fiber, e.g.) will drop dramatically. Those are the kinds of services tech companies look for when establishing offices. Aside from a residential destination, small companies that may not be able to afford Raleigh-area real estate will look to Wilson-Greenville-Rocky Mount for places to get started.

Third, these jobs are high-skills and high-salary roles. This would be an enormous cash inversion for our region.

Fourth, these workers fall into Richard Florida's "creative class," and look for the communities they live and work in to be walkable, bikeable, compact, entertainment-filled locations. Even if we satisfy (1) and (2) above, we won't achieve the returns we should unless we are successful in drawing more experiential business into the city--and not just in downtown Greenville, but in places like the Medical District and Winterville as well.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
I appreciate Trollingwood for being the first brewery in Greenville and helping to kickstart the development on Dickinson. However, I was never a fan of their beer. Everything I had from there just tasted flat to me. Uptown & Pitt Street definitely blew it out of the water. Also, the space is so tiny. They've got a niche that they are filling and a move to just a taproom/bar with music should continue to work well. Still seems odd they didn't try to find a larger place in the area during their time there.

This should give another potential brewery the opportunity to come to the area. I think the city could use a couple more breweries.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:08 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Trump to come rally in Greenville the same day as Mueller’s testimony on July 17th.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...lly-on-july-17

Old 07-03-2019, 09:54 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
US 264 E onramp in Greenville to close for one month starting July 8

Presumably to finish improvements related to the SW Bypass. Will be happy when this is complete, and expecting that this means we're nearing the finish line.
Yep, it’s part of the SW Bypass project. Here’s NCDOT’s press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...s-closure.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina