Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 07:12 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times

Advertisements

K-town losing the Ducks to Spartanburg.... https://www.witn.com/2023/05/23/texa...st-wood-ducks/

Relatedly I would think if Spartanburg can afford to build things like a stadium for a minor league team, that Greenville could too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 06:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Is Intersect East still a thing? I haven’t seen any action or people there in a while and it’s getting a bit overgrown.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:24 AM

120 posts, read 229,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Is Intersect East still a thing? I haven’t seen any action or people there in a while and it’s getting a bit overgrown.
Heard from a fairly reliable source a few months ago that the cost of development/bids (however they were building) were far over estimates. They didn't know if the project was on a long-term hold or if ECU would go back to the drawing board to build/finance in phases. - Not sure how much of this is accurate other than I do believe that the costs well exceeded the projections.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:38 PM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Finally starting to see some progress above ground on the hotel uptown...

Old 06-02-2023, 01:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
That is the kind of thing that I was talking about a couple of months ago. All of these big plans and then nothing happens. The good news is that their website is still up but the news on it is old.

https://www.intersecteast.com/

Old 06-08-2023, 08:44 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That is the kind of thing that I was talking about a couple of months ago. All of these big plans and then nothing happens. The good news is that their website is still up but the news on it is old.

https://www.intersecteast.com/
I wonder if, as part of the contract, a certain percent of leases have to be signed before construction will begin.... In today's climate its got to be a very tough road recruiting businesses to new leases.... All the more reason Greenville needs to up its entertainment value (not that we aren't to some extent already).

Old 06-08-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
All the more reason Greenville needs to up its entertainment value (not that we aren't to some extent already).
Greenville's entertainment value, just like it's tourism value is pretty low. I have a sister that lives in North Charleston, NC. I went and visited her and North Charleston and Charleston have tons of things to do, places to see, and a great little walking shopping area that the city converted about 4 small barns that were all in a row and put local vendors in there. You walk from barn to barn and it really is great.

She asked about coming and visiting me. I told her that while Eastern NC as a whole, has a lot of stuff to see, it's all spread out. You'd spend more time driving than you would be seeing things and attractions. I believe that New Bern has more to see than Greenville. Greenville has a small downtown and then the rest is urban sprawl. I told her that I'd see her at Christmas time in Nashville, TN where our brother lives.

I've said this before too. Greenville has a great waterfront on the river that is totally wasted. There are a couple of canoe rentals but that's about it.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 06-08-2023 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-09-2023, 07:00 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Greenville's entertainment value, just like it's tourism value is pretty low. I have a sister that lives in North Charleston, NC. I went and visited her and North Charleston and Charleston have tons of things to do, places to see, and a great little walking shopping area that the city converted about 4 small barns that were all in a row and put local vendors in there. You walk from barn to barn and it really is great.

She asked about coming and visiting me. I told her that while Eastern NC as a whole, has a lot of stuff to see, it's all spread out. You'd spend more time driving than you would be seeing things and attractions. I believe that New Bern has more to see than Greenville. Greenville has a small downtown and then the rest is urban sprawl. I told her that I'd see her at Christmas time in Nashville, TN where our brother lives.

I've said this before too. Greenville has a great waterfront on the river that is totally wasted. There are a couple of canoe rentals but that's about it.
I think you are understating what Greenville offers. Just last night there was a packed concert on the Common...

https://concertonthecommon.org/

There was a Top 25 college baseball team playing on Charles Blvd all spring. There was PirateFest in April downtown. DoggieJams is a big time college event every March downtown. The City owns a small theater...

https://statetheatrenc.com/

Again Downtown.

As well there is Dickinson Avenue After Dark, held most recently in March

https://www.uptowngreenville.com/pla...ue-after-dark/

This is just a list with about 5 minutes search and is just this Spring. There is ECU Football in the fall, with a 50k stadium.

For many folks it is just a matter of taking advantage of what is going on. All of the items I listed are inside of Greenville Blvd to downtown.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
For many folks it is just a matter of taking advantage of what is going on. All of the items I listed are inside of Greenville Blvd to downtown.
Let's take a look at my scenario. We're in our 50's and 60's and are not big sports fans. They arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday morning. What do we do?

Old 06-09-2023, 11:46 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Let's take a look at my scenario. We're in our 50's and 60's and are not big sports fans. They arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday morning. What do we do?
Well you are referencing Charleston and its City Market. That is very unique to Charleston and its architecture. They also have horse carriage rides throughout its Historic District. They also have a riverside ballpark that sometimes holds concerts. And a huge suburb in North Charleston that has a Coliseum.

All of those things have been there for decades. Charleston is also listed as the #1 tourist destination in the country

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...south-carolina

And has been at the top for a long time. You must not have known about it but lots of folks did. It also has beaches right outside of the city. Charleston has a metro population of about 800k.

Comparing it to Greenville is not fair. Comparing New Bern to Greenville is. And Greenville has more than New Bern. Its does not have more than Wilmington, which also has the coast, a large historic district, etc...

Actually Greenville is doing pretty well for a metro of about 200k. 50K stadium? Yeah not many have that.

While Greenville does need a performing arts center and to improve its riverfront park...it has plans for both. It is also adding summer league baseball, announced just recently.

As to what you do...go downtown and eat and drink. I listed the options this past spring. In the summer, I would recommend taking a day trip to Kitty Hawk and Manteo, checking out the Wright Brothers Memorial, checking out Jockey's Ridge and also taking in the Lost Colony outdoor theater play. You can also explore Manteo waterfront. Greenville is within a daily trip of this.

As you know Greenville is really a college town, but most of the older folks take in the sporting events when they are there. There is a riverfront walking trail. There is a new park on the north side as well as a nature park on the northside. If you want to drive a little go to Scotland Neck and go to Sylvan Heights bird park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina