Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times

Advertisements

latest aerial shot of the Boundary project

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 AM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
latest aerial shot of the Boundary project
Thanks for the picture! I wonder why they haven't started work at all on some parts of the building(like the part right in the middle)... I thought that they usually build it all at once. But anyhow, good progress and I can't wait for it to be completed. Hopefully they will fill those shops fast!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Back when the AAC was looking like it could be Boise st, Louisville, Rutgers, (and what people thought would be good USF and Uconn teams), I was all for adding another upper deck.

Now I think we should focus on a very nice press-box with an additional 2k luxury seating to bring capacity to 52k (okay, 53.1k if we squeeze people in like we did last week). This allows us to shuffle bigger donors into those seats, upper-mid into the 2k that open up (or however many), and so on. We could possibly give an extra 1k tickets (on top of what we already give) to bigger teams as an incentive for them to play at ECU. Just build the pressbox with the option of adding an upper deck if we ever need it.
This exactly! IIRC, there was talk of building a new academic building, with the footprint being along the south side stands. Thus the State would pay for the needed academic building, e.g. the first 4 stories. Then the Pirate Club could build the press box on top.

That would enclose the south side stand completely on the outside.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
New pic of the GO-Science construction:

Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 15,791 times
Default Old Walmart

Was there a conversation here about the old Wal-mart being torn down? I'm trying to track down where I've heard this? Has anyone else heard any whisperings?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
The Go Science is looking better slowly. I was initially worried when I heard where it was going to locate but they are doing a good job of reinventing the space. My understanding is that this is just phase 1, correct? There will be additions as the years go buy & it grows right? Also - how is the parking over there, seems like a small parking lot for something like this.

Also, here is a nice article on the New Student Union design at ECU & there is mention of a new Dance Building, first I have heard of this.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]On Friday, trustees approved final plans for a new $4 million dance building to be built one block west of the corner of 10th and Evans streets. The building’s 16,000 square feet is the minimum amount needed for dance program accreditation. It will include dance studios, a library, courtyard and parking. Bids will be taken in spring 2015 with an estimated completion in early 2016.[/SIZE]
Board of Trustees Meeting September 2014

Quote:
[SIZE=2]The design team for East Carolina University’s new Student Union is going back to the drawing board following input from the Board of Trustees.

Perkins+Will architects presented a model to the Finance and Facilities committee during the board’s quarterly meeting Sept. 18-19.

Trustees asked that the center, which will front approximately 300 feet on 10th Street, have a more defined presence since it will be so visible from the street. There is no physical entry planned on 10th Street; students will access the center from all other sides.

“We had talked about how this (building) would be one of those ‘front’ doors to campus,” said Trustees chairman Robert Brinkley. “It needs more enhancement.”
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
Architects Jim Merriman, left, and Jeffrey Stebar present models of the proposed student center during the Sept. 18-19 meeting of the ECU Board of Trustees. (Photo by Cliff Hollis)[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
To try to invigorate the streetscape, some of interior spaces – such as dining seating areas – will be moved from the Sonic Plaza side to the street side. Revised plans for the first and second floors are expected at the November trustees meeting, said Dr. Virginia Hardy, vice chancellor for student affairs at ECU.

“We need to take pause,” said Bill Bagnell, associate vice chancellor for campus operations at ECU. “We want to make sure that we do it right the first time.”

Plans call for the student union to cover almost 209,000 square feet, and an adjacent parking deck, with construction costing $95.5 million. Furniture, fixtures, audiovisual and other equipment plus design costs and fees will total $122.2 million. The facility will provide a new home for the Ledonia Wright Cultural Center, a new LGBT center, student government and student group office space, multi-venue dining facilities, a new bookstore and a dividable ballroom as well as balconies, patios and an outside media screen.

“It will be a transformative building for this campus for decades and decades to come,” said Chancellor Steve Ballard in his remarks to the trustees during the full meeting.

The project includes a 700-car parking deck in same area as the current parking lot west of Mendenhall Student Center. With a short delay in approved plans, officials expect the center to be completed by the 2018 fall semester. Construction will take 24 to 30 months.
[/SIZE]

“The discussions on design, the challenges with programming, those are things that exist with any project,” said trustee Terry Yeargan, finance and facilities committee chairman. “There is a tug and pull that goes on with any process.”

Mendenhall Student Center was completed in 1974 when East Carolina had 11,000 students. Since then, the student body has grown more than 145 percent and an extensive health sciences campus with more than 3,000 students has developed around the Brody School of Medicine.

An almost 72,000-square-foot student union also will be built on the health sciences campus between the East Carolina Heart Institute and Laupus Library. The UNC Board of Governors and the N.C. General Assembly approved plans for both buildings earlier this year.[/SIZE]

Last edited by jpirate; 09-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: w

Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscbnc View Post
Was there a conversation here about the old Wal-mart being torn down? I'm trying to track down where I've heard this? Has anyone else heard any whisperings?
It was said in this thread a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything outside the thread. Walmart would be stupid to tear down that store though unless they rebuild in the same location.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 PM

52 posts, read 96,873 times
I heard from a source saying that they talked to a Walmart employee and the employee said that after ALL the grocery stores and the other full-size store (out by DSM) are complete, that the store on Greenville Blvd is closing.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM

277 posts, read 435,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
I heard from a source saying that they talked to a Walmart employee and the employee said that after ALL the grocery stores and the other full-size store (out by DSM) are complete, that the store on Greenville Blvd is closing.
I've heard that as well from a source at work.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Likewise - a friend said she talked to the manager at that store who confirmed it would close after the others are done. She said the manager told her the Hilton was buying the property...but I suspect that last part may be hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina