Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 292,972 times

Advertisements

My son has been accepted to UNC-W and this Saturday they have a day planned for accepted H.S. seniors. We live in Charlotte and my soon is choosing between App State and UNC-W. Have a few questions for those in the know:
1) Where should we stay? Doesn't have to be on the beach. Any "not to be missed inns or hotels"?
2) Suggested restaurants. We like all kinds of food, including seafood. Try to stay away from chains.
3) For those who are familiar with UNC-W. What should we know about the university that they (the school) may not show or tell us? Good or bad. My son is interested in majoring in accounting. Trying to understand the issues facing the university.
4) I assume that he will have to live on campus for at least the 1st year. Is off-campus housing readily available? What would we pay for an apartment?
5) Any other sites (historic or otherwise) of interest?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times
Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes---the campus is spread out, and your feet will be tired!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 61,473 times
1) Where should we stay? Doesn't have to be on the beach. Any "not to be missed inns or hotels"?
-blockade runner on WB is nice, days in on market is ok.
2) Suggested restaurants. We like all kinds of food, including seafood. Try to stay away from chains.
-bridge tender on wrightsville is good seafood, so is blue water across the ICW.
3) For those who are familiar with UNC-W. What should we know about the university that they (the school) may not show or tell us? Good or bad. My son is interested in majoring in accounting. Trying to understand the issues facing the university.
-I graduated in May 2007 and lived there until July 08. When I was there the only problem I had was lack of parking, and there was a lot of construction going on. You will see how far that has come along when you visit. Also they had the new student center finished before I left.
4) I assume that he will have to live on campus for at least the 1st year. Is off-campus housing readily available? What would we pay for an apartment?
-i would recommend staying on campus freshman year. You make friends easier and will be able to find a group of friends to rent an apartment with sophmore year. The university provides apartment type living on campus in a couple of places. Bring a bicycle, the campus is spread out. An apartment will run from 500 up for a 1 bedroom. 700 up for 2, and 900-1000 up for a 3. Depends on the amenities and location. Remember the 1 mile radius, if you live within one mile of campus you cant get a parking pass, but biking is easy. Freshmen will have a hard time getting a parking pass worth anything, mostly park and ride.
-wrightsville beach is nice this time of year, "historic" downtown wilmington is cool to see with the river front and all.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcurrin View Post
-blockade runner on WB is nice, days in on market is ok.
-bridge tender on wrightsville is good seafood, so is blue water across the ICW.
-I graduated in May 2007 and lived there until July 08. When I was there the only problem I had was lack of parking, and there was a lot of construction going on. You will see how far that has come along when you visit. Also they had the new student center finished before I left.
-i would recommend staying on campus freshman year. You make friends easier and will be able to find a group of friends to rent an apartment with sophmore year. The university provides apartment type living on campus in a couple of places. Bring a bicycle, the campus is spread out. An apartment will run from 500 up for a 1 bedroom. 700 up for 2, and 900-1000 up for a 3. Depends on the amenities and location. Remember the 1 mile radius, if you live within one mile of campus you cant get a parking pass, but biking is easy. Freshmen will have a hard time getting a parking pass worth anything, mostly park and ride.
-wrightsville beach is nice this time of year, "historic" downtown wilmington is cool to see with the river front and all.
Thanks for your detailed reply. My son will not have a car, so parking shouldn't be a problem for him. For acomodations, we're looking at the Best Western Coastline hotel (down on the riverfront). The Days Inn on Market is much cheaper, but I worry about safety....should I? We'll try the restaurants that you've suggested.
Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM

17 posts, read 61,473 times
i have no experience with crime what so ever in the city, but i havent stayed at the days inn on market. you probably made a good choice with the Best western. I personally would recommend the holiday inn on wrightsville. I assume your son will spend the most time in that area of town, I did

Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 AM

70 posts, read 182,547 times
I know we have a Baymont on College Rd and that chain was really good when we visited out west. Staying at the Best western will help you get a feel for the downtown area.Very college oriented late at night but nice during the day.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the hotel tips. I'll check them out.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,454 times

Just stay away from stuff on mid market street, the hotels there suck. There are a few close to the university on college Rd. or there is always downtown or the beach

That is the biggest thing I miss about wilmington, the food! Such great local places, so many to chose from you could go on for days. There is much less of a chain presence down in the ILM. I really like Elijah's downtown for seafood, there are a ton of places also near the beach that are awesome as well. Also there is a great breakfast/lunch spot that is right before you get to WB, but right now I can't remember the name for the life of me. It is right after you past West Marine, it is on the same street as a Taco Bell.

I went to UNCW and graduded Dec 2006 with a BA in Marketing and Management. The business school is great. I loved going to school at UNCW, teachers were great, and not a "huge" campus with 20k plus people for you to get lost in the shuffle.

I would live on campus first year like the above said to meet people. Typical 3 bedroom apartments go for 1000-1200, I bought a condo while I was in school though and the investment paid off big time.

Battleship, WB, Downtown, etc etc. There is a lot of options in Wilmington.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM

291 posts, read 870,094 times
""Also there is a great breakfast/lunch spot that is right before you get to WB, but right now I can't remember the name for the life of me. It is right after you past West Marine, it is on the same street as a Taco Bell. "

Could this be Sweet and Savory Cafe?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
""Also there is a great breakfast/lunch spot that is right before you get to WB, but right now I can't remember the name for the life of me. It is right after you past West Marine, it is on the same street as a Taco Bell. "

Could this be Sweet and Savory Cafe?
Yep. Thanks for the reminder on the name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina