Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 77,187 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My fiance and I must relocate to Wilmington sometime this year and I need some pointers on where exactly where to move. We currently live on Long Island in NY and love our town, we are seeking something similar. Ideally, we'd
prefer something 10-20 minutes from the ocean, with a small village or town within walking distance that has a nice selection of shops, eateries, points of interest. (We enjoy a little hustle and bustle). We would like to start a family soon, so a good school district is a must. Price is fairly negotiable, we are looking to spend upwards of 400k for a home on at least a 1/2 acre of land. What are the Ogden or Masonboro areas like? Thank you in advance for the info!

Last edited by kayali; 03-30-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM

197 posts, read 957,887 times
Masonboro is mainly a residential area --- couple of shops here and there, not any real "village" or town square.

Ogden has a couple of strip malls, and shops, but they aren't really considered as being within walking distance to many residential areas.
Not many of the nicer shops in Ogden.

Wilmington is really a "car" city (everyone drives everywhere) unless you live downtown, or the new Mayfaire development -- a house there will cost around 600K with no real yard to speak of--- maybe a couple of other places.

You might try Forest Hills or Glen Meade -- you can walk to Hanover Center which has some neat shops, or Independence Mall. TO get a house with 1/2 acre there, you'd probably spend at least 500k+.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 PM

115 posts, read 596,330 times
You might consider Southport, it might be a little further away than you want but it is a small town on water with shops and eateries.

You can certainly get 1/2 acre for less than $500k, if not, I had better put my 1/2 acre on sale right now.

Get with a realtor and tell them what you want, I don't think you should have a problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 40,509 times
I would like to post a question on this site and cannot figure the darned site out !! I am moving from Corning, NY to NC and would like to be near Wilmington, in a smaller town and would like some input...Someone help !!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 AM

291 posts, read 1,781,814 times
Wilmington is a beautiful city with the best beaches in the Carolinas minutes away. Hampstead is a nice town just north of Wilmington.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:40 PM

197 posts, read 957,887 times
When I mentioned 1/2 acre in Wilmington previously, that was WITH a house that it would be probably at least 500k.

Leland & Hampstead are close Wilmington --- really suburbs of
Wilmington. Hampstead has not yet been incorporated into a "town." It's a village that has gotten lots of development in the past ten years. The locals
in Hampstead are split over whether to incorporate or not, and have been for a couple of years. I don't live there and don't know much about it beyond what's in the newspaper -- lots of coverage lately.

Leland is the similar --- it is an incorporated "town," but was a village that has grown tremendously due to housing developments in the past couple of years.

Southport is really neat and has some nice shops and restaurants too, but not nearly the selection and variety you have in Wilmington.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 PM

156 posts, read 920,292 times
I don't have a link, but one of the realestate agents said to be careful in Hampstead as they are having septic problems.. Don't know what that means, but a question I would look into..

Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Another consideration of buying a house there is how close do you REALLY want to be to the water, esp the ocean.

The house we are buying in Leland is NOT considered in a flood plain altho we are going to purchase flood insurance anyway.

I personally did not care for the Hampstead area...too far out for me. And the prices were higher for less house out that way.

Your best bet is to do a househunting trip down there or find a way to go down for a vacation for a long weekend to see the area.

I would have loved Southport but too far a drive for my husband to get to work. Liz

Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 77,187 times
Default Thank you

Thanks everyone for the input. You are a big help. Checked out Lampost real estate online and found some good stuff in Hampstead and Southport, etc...Looking forward to getting the ball rolling.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 111,077 times
Default Wilmington, NC

Ogden is so traffic-congested! Check out Wilmington -- it's close to the beaches, art, eats and entertainment! Great developments for family in your price range are Oxford Place, Woodberry Forest and Landsdowne, Holly Tree etc... Masonboro sections are very nice too! Tons of beautiful developments. Moderator cut: use direct message feature for recommindation of personnel I have been here since 1999 originally from CT... love, love it!

Best of luck,
Kinga

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-29-2007 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina