U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 AM

955 posts, read 3,914,998 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning stays at several different locations in North Carolina. What is a good time to spend a few days at New Bern? We'd like to be around for local festivals or at other times when there's a lot going on. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM

12 posts, read 30,244 times
I have lived in New Bern and outside of the area since 1976. The absolute best time to come is in October during the Mum Fest. That is New Bern's grand festival. Coming up is the Strawberry Festival in Vanceboro (20 minute drive), Seafood festival in Morehead City (1 hour drive), etc. There are festivals at least once a month within an hour radius so check out the tourism website for the listing.

New Bern is a huge retirement community. Not many activities if you are use to a big city with alot of night life.

Make sure you visit Tryon Palace. New Bern was the original capital of NC. The flowers should be blooming. The downtown shops are full of original kinds of shops. Alot of antiques, cafes, and artistry. Spend a Saturday just going downtown.

Hope this helps you.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM

46 posts, read 198,548 times
They have Mum Festival Every October

Mumfest 2009 Festival - Historic New Bern - North Carolina

Christmas time in downtown New Bern and Tryon Palace is lovely.

2008 blog of Christmas in downtown:
A Dickens of a Christmas in Downtown New Bern, NC<br>and Shopping, Dining, Strolling

There are also some various period re-enactments throughout the year associated with the Palace and the historic homes. Check the Tryon Palace site for schedule:

Tryon Palace Historic Sites & Gardens, New Bern, North Carolina

New Bern 300th Anniversary celebration is coming up in 2010:
Welcome to the official website of New Bern's 300th Celebration

Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM
LLN

5,245 posts, read 10,034,395 times
Actually, you just missed a great time to visit. It is the historical homes tour and there are a bunch of them here and they are very well appointed.

I expect next year's tour, it will be in the spring, coinciding with the 300th anniversary, will be superb as well.

While a couple of mentioned Mumfest, I find it pretty lame. Lots of bad smells of over fried foods.

lln

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM

917 posts, read 2,220,261 times
I must say I agree with "LLN" although he might add, "Be sure you come when "Ann in Oriental" is down in Morehead City attending to her new-age ventures." (See a previous post) Of course he has no idea that I am a New Yorker and was born in Ithaca. Regardless, New Bern is best in late Fall or Spring as the summers are VERY hot! Winter is fine too and at Christmas there are a lot of lovely historic happenings especially around the Tryon Palace area. By the way, my Great Great grandmother's name was Elizabeth Tryon... Now he might WANT to say "Oh, I should have known she was a (gasp) yankee", but he won't, as that might offend you guys. Southerners can be very nice, but some of them are very disturbed by anything that disrupts the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina