Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM

24 posts, read 138,230 times

Advertisements

Okay Wow. So, I thought Leland also had some good prices. But, relocating with a 13 yr old daughter and I don't want to put her in an area where she could be the butt of jokes. We live in a very good, but also very expensive area of Baltimore, MD.

SO, what are the Good/Great areas that you don't get made fun of for living in?

How about Monkey Junction? Is that a good one?

Also heard that moving one county down to Brunswick is good for cost. But is it desirable?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 20,945 times
Default Butt of Jokes

The town is what you make of it, I grew up going to their schools and it it the same as going to any other. It just was not a big city and Snobs made fun of it because it used to be more farms. People who make fun of things are just afraid to admit they liked it because they are followers.

Sometimes it takes one to know one when people are poking fun.
You will like it! Welcome and enjoy! I live about 10 minutes out from Walmart and I don't look down on it. I believe if you don't like the rules in the book, get them changed! People here started spending their money to better the economy in Leland that is why it is getting better because they took pride in their hometown. Even Wilmington has it's rednecks and such.

Just thought I would feel you in. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Waterford Development in Leland and was curious why this town was the "butt of jokes" as someone stated previously. We loved that Leland was outside of the more populated Wilmington but still had the convenience of a larger city...We do not have young children so quality of schools was not a factor..

Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 20,945 times
Default Butt of Jokes

You will not be made fun of. There were very nice people who worked hard that are still here if everyone would quit having their nose stuck so far in the air. If everyone would read the history of wilmington, it was about the same before if was built up! Monkey Junction is about 1/4 mile long. Everywhere you go, houses are eventually rented out as opposed to bought. This is how the owners make their money.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good Luck. And I did not intend on being offensive with this! Just tired of people poking fun at me when I grew up going to North Brunswick and I am just fine. And I can READ! How about that! That probably surprises everyone! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengladezoo View Post
Okay Wow. So, I thought Leland also had some good prices. But, relocating with a 13 yr old daughter and I don't want to put her in an area where she could be the butt of jokes. We live in a very good, but also very expensive area of Baltimore, MD.

SO, what are the Good/Great areas that you don't get made fun of for living in?

How about Monkey Junction? Is that a good one?

Also heard that moving one county down to Brunswick is good for cost. But is it desirable?

thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM

3,250 posts, read 9,148,724 times
Quote:
I've been here since May now and no one I have dealt with in Wilmington has looked down their nose about where I live. Most think it's GREAT that I live out this way. An area is what you make of it. Don't let attitudes of posters who do not live here and haven't lived here for years influence your attitude. Liz

Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM

103 posts, read 898,095 times
Most Northerners have taken over New Hanover County, Pender County, and New Brunswick. They are mostly from New York and New Jersey. I am Southern to the core myself, and Wilmington IS no longer a Southern town. It should be New York County. lol My parents even want to move of Springview, because the taxes are getting too high. That is just the way it is now, and it is not because I am "trying to drive down the prices" to live here. Au contrair. Many aspects of Wilmington have changed, because there are too many people wanting to move here. You can't even get a parking place at Wrightsville Beach. The town has lost its gentility.
My mother is a mortgage loan officer on Front Street, and she tells me all the time that most ofthe new applications are from people who want to retire or relocate from up North.

Last edited by Crazy_Daisy; 11-12-2007 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Even Carolina Beach was cleaned out and taken over just like Hampstead too.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That is NOT the Leland I saw on my trip last week. There are some super NICE subdivisions in there now. Some way out of our price range, LOL. Between Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest, houses are pushing the 500,000-800,000 mark and selling like crazy!

Maybe Leland USED to be a bad place to live but that is NOT the case now. Seems to be THE place to live, LOL. Liz
I said Leland used to be a bad place to live, and I knew it has been built up within the last 10 years. I am entitled to my opinion, and I am just stating a fact. What is wrong with that? The cost of living has gotten to be ridiculous in New Hanover County. You do have to have money to live here, and the people that purchase the homes usually have the money beforehand. You can ask plenty of the locals how it has changed since the 80s. I went to UNCW, and even getting a one bedroom apartment for a college student isn't even affordable. Everyone wants to live here now. Traffic is also bad too.

Last edited by Crazy_Daisy; 11-12-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That is NOT the Leland I saw on my trip last week. There are some super NICE subdivisions in there now. Some way out of our price range, LOL. Between Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest, houses are pushing the 500,000-800,000 mark and selling like crazy!

Maybe Leland USED to be a bad place to live but that is NOT the case now. Seems to be THE place to live, LOL. Liz
I said Leland used to be a bad place to live, and I knew it got built within the last 10 years. I am entitled to my opinion, and I am just stating a fact.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,482 times
Default See the "Update on Leland Brunswick Forest" entry

Sums up the whole area.... Moderator cut: TOS VIOLATION

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-18-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM

78 posts, read 293,402 times
hi,I just came back from the Leland area,checked out many places & I like the Bluffs..there are many new communities,still some run down areas too,I like the area & plan on moving in 2 years,will need a job,& I like being close to wilmington..hope in 2 yrs it might be cleaned up some more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina