Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 AM
LNS LNS started this thread

29 posts, read 77,232 times

Advertisements

My husband has his 3rd and final interview on Friday for a position in Southport. We currently live in a suburb of Philly. We have vacationed on the NC coast for the last 6 summers and love the Southport area. We are trying to figure out what area/development would be best for us. We have 4 and 8 year old boys and would love to find a community that has a lot of kids. We don't want to buy in a neighborhood that is half abandonded. We have considered Arbor Creek, Seaspray Cove,Rivermist, South Harbor Villiage, Oak Island and downtown Southport. We want to be close to the beach and Southport. Our kids will most likely go to public school, so the elementary school is important. Any suggestions/input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNS View Post
My husband has his 3rd and final interview on Friday for a position in Southport. We currently live in a suburb of Philly. We have vacationed on the NC coast for the last 6 summers and love the Southport area. We are trying to figure out what area/development would be best for us. We have 4 and 8 year old boys and would love to find a community that has a lot of kids. We don't want to buy in a neighborhood that is half abandonded. We have considered Arbor Creek, Seaspray Cove,Rivermist, South Harbor Villiage, Oak Island and downtown Southport. We want to be close to the beach and Southport. Our kids will most likely go to public school, so the elementary school is important. Any suggestions/input?
hmmm. you might want to consider living in leland and having a little commute. those areas you mentioned are full of older people, but leland has more families, because of people commuting into wilmington.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that commute is very important to us.... he has a long commute now and we have sworn we would never do that again. I know we may have to make some concessions. I would rather sacrifice the amount of kids around the neighborhood than the commute. i guess I could have worded my question better.... Do any of the neighborhoods I've mentioned have more kids than others?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that commute is very important to us.... he has a long commute now and we have sworn we would never do that again. I know we may have to make some concessions. I would rather sacrifice the amount of kids around the neighborhood than the commute. i guess I could have worded my question better.... Do any of the neighborhoods I've mentioned have more kids than others?
it's really a tough call. I lived in the DC area for most of my life, so I know all about traffic. lived in wilmington a total of about 5 years. those developments you mentioned are going to be mostly retired people. also, quite a few of them are half full, or at least they were the last time I was down that way a few months ago. you might be able to score a good deal in one of those developments though, so that would be a plus. downtown southport is nice, but there really isn't much to do and it's expensive. it comes down to this. is it better to drive 20-25 minutes a day from leland to southport for work? or is it better to drive from the southport area up to wilmington every time you wanted to dine, shop, or do fun things with the kids. that's pretty much the tradeoff. I doubt your little ones will be happy playing 18 holes saturday morning.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM

214 posts, read 822,788 times
Quote:
Hi, I assisted in relocating a family with two small children to a community on Rt. 211. They are loving it, and the kids are thriving in school. It would be about a 20 minute commute to Southport, and I am guessing that you are seeking to reduce your commute time. The school is minutes away for the 8 year old, and they have buses and after school activities. I could find out which day care the 4 year old is in if you would like. I wouldn't recommend any of the communities you have listed above, and I don't think Oak Island would work for you either. The town of Southport would also be a good alternative. There are many festivals throughout the summer, and it is very family oriented. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 06-18-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: soliciting in posts is not permitted as per the forum rules

Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks seashellbelle, Are you talking about Bolivia or BSL? If so, i have my concerns about the elementary school in that area. Based on the info I can find, SES and VWES seem to be the very best. It is really hard to know without getting to spend some time in the neighborhoods. I would really like access to a pool, that is one reason i have been exploring the planned communities. We will know more once my husband's interview is done. We have pretty much ruled out living on the island. We have been talking to a realtor and have gotten some listings. She has said there is a nice mix of families and retirees in Seaspray Cove and Arbor Creek... she also suggested wwe go there on the weekend andtry to talk to people that live in those areas.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 AM

214 posts, read 822,788 times
Quote:
Thanks seashellbelle, Are you talking about Bolivia or BSL? If so, i have my concerns about the elementary school in that area. Based on the info I can find, SES and VWES seem to be the very best. It is really hard to know without getting to spend some time in the neighborhoods. I would really like access to a pool, that is one reason i have been exploring the planned communities. We will know more once my husband's interview is done. We have pretty much ruled out living on the island. We have been talking to a realtor and have gotten some listings. She has said there is a nice mix of families and retirees in Seaspray Cove and Arbor Creek... she also suggested wwe go there on the weekend andtry to talk to people that live in those areas.
Rt. 211 is considered Bolivia. Virginia Williamson is the school I was referring to. My friends and clients are very pleased with their son's progress there, and say he has flourished. I think your Realtors suggestion is wonderful, and it is always best for people who are relocating here to first "explore" and get the feel of the area. Best of luck to you and your husband, and I truly he hope he gets the job offer.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 24,680 times
I agree with the others on the decision to move into Leland instead. I lived in Southport for right at two years and found that once you're there, you're there. The area is beautiful, but very isolated. The few dining options it has are usually closed by 8 or 9. There are few shoppes or stores to go into and only three grocery stores. Leland is a booming town with many more families and kids. Living in Leland is also not isolated at all. Leland now has several late night restaurants with many grocery stores. You also have the option of the short 5-10 minute commute to Wilmington compared to the 30-45 minute drive from Southport/OI.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,929 times
They are right it mostly rental and elderly areas..... I haved lived on Oak Island for 2 years with a 4 and 8 years old at the time. It was very hard to find neighborhood with kids but we loved the fact we can ride our bikes on the island,golf cart and can use the beach anytime. In the summer time you have deal with out of towner but the beach is never crowded. I love living there. Boilings Springs is a wonderful place.... My mind is going blank but there is development you haven't mention would be great place. If you are need of Realtor : I know one that is a family man and knows the ends n' out of the area. PM me and I can give you info. I was the President of the MOMS Club in Southport one year and made the bestest friends there.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Hi This is my mother in-laws screen name, but she had asked me to rply to your message, I have lived in the southport area my whole life, 28 years, i also have a 6 year old. Honestly the area is very quiet not a whole lot for kids to do, wilmington which would be a commute for your husband of about 45 minutes which he probably would not like, but however there is so much more to offer for families with children, all of the majority of peditricians and doctors are in wilmington, also if you would need a part time job their is none in southport or oak island. If you have to move to the southport area i would move on oak island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina