Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,689 times

Advertisements

After reading forums, travel reviews, blogs, & reports on Wilmington, NC travel for the past several weeks, my eyes are bleeding

Without getting off track by some of the die-hard "southern history" buffs on these help sites, I welcome your opinions on which Wilmington RESTAURANTS to visit and which ones to AVOID during a visit this summer. No special ethnicity or food tastes in mind, just want decent value, good food, clean establishments with wait staff that isn't afraid to smile.

Some positive recommendations include: Goody Goody Omelet House, PT's Old Fashioned Grille, What do some of you locals suggest?

The Indochine is supposed to be way over-rated; true or false?

Also, Has anyone taken any of the Cape Fear leisure riverboat cruises (2-4 hrs) for dinner, or lunch, sunset, or up the CFR? Your opinions? We've taken riverboats on the Ol Miss, the Ft Ferry Fisher, Bald Head, and even Moonlight Bay Cruise in San Diego, so we are familiar with the general concept.

Thanks for your help & expertise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
pt's is great. for a good local burrito fix, hit up flaming amy's. I think indochine is great, and offers a really cool atmosphere. nikki's sushi place has a few locations in town and is good. slice of life pizza near mayfaire is really good. they have a location downtown too, but it's not as nice and clean. college road deli is a great place to get sandwiches. salt works on wrightsville is a good place to get breakfast. hmmm, la costa has a few locations and pretty good mexican food. a MUST have is kohl's frozen custard at wrightsville beach. it's the best custard I have ever had. the oceanic at wrightsville beach is really good too and right on the ocean. lunch prices are pretty low.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM

60 posts, read 188,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
pt's is great. for a good local burrito fix, hit up flaming amy's. I think indochine is great, and offers a really cool atmosphere. nikki's sushi place has a few locations in town and is good. slice of life pizza near mayfaire is really good. they have a location downtown too, but it's not as nice and clean. college road deli is a great place to get sandwiches. salt works on wrightsville is a good place to get breakfast. hmmm, la costa has a few locations and pretty good mexican food. a MUST have is kohl's frozen custard at wrightsville beach. it's the best custard I have ever had. the oceanic at wrightsville beach is really good too and right on the ocean. lunch prices are pretty low.

OMG! They opened a Slice of Life in Mayfaire???!!! I haven't been in Wilmington for a year or so, and it's been longer than that that I was at Mayfaire. I used to LOVE to eat at Slice of Life downtown - can't wait to get to Mayfaire!

I've never been to Indochine, but have heard nothing but rave reviews from people who have been there.

I've eaten at the Salt Works a couple of times, and frankly, didn't care that much for it - although it wasn't for breakfast.

The India Mahal used to be a great place to eat, but the last time I was there, the food had gone downhill - new ownership maybe.

There used to be a great place for "home-cooked style" food on Wrightsville Beach called Middle of the Island. I don't know if it is still there or not, but if it is... you might want to check it out.

There was a really good Greek restaurant near the Middle of the Island... can't remember the name... The Olympia, maybe?

One other really different place.... if you're into health food... Lovey's Market near (or in?) Landfall Centre has an EXCELLENT salad bar with lots of other neat things on it - and a soup bar. You can just feel your body getting healthier while you're eating there. They also have an organic deli-type lunch, although I've never made it there for lunch. They make some good smoothie type drinks, too. Tidal Creek has a smaller version, and sometimes some tasty things on it, but I think Lovey's is superior in quantity and quality.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetocarolina View Post
OMG! They opened a Slice of Life in Mayfaire???!!! I haven't been in Wilmington for a year or so, and it's been longer than that that I was at Mayfaire. I used to LOVE to eat at Slice of Life downtown - can't wait to get to Mayfaire!

I've never been to Indochine, but have heard nothing but rave reviews from people who have been there.

I've eaten at the Salt Works a couple of times, and frankly, didn't care that much for it - although it wasn't for breakfast.

The India Mahal used to be a great place to eat, but the last time I was there, the food had gone downhill - new ownership maybe.

There used to be a great place for "home-cooked style" food on Wrightsville Beach called Middle of the Island. I don't know if it is still there or not, but if it is... you might want to check it out.

There was a really good Greek restaurant near the Middle of the Island... can't remember the name... The Olympia, maybe?

One other really different place.... if you're into health food... Lovey's Market near (or in?) Landfall Centre has an EXCELLENT salad bar with lots of other neat things on it - and a soup bar. You can just feel your body getting healthier while you're eating there. They also have an organic deli-type lunch, although I've never made it there for lunch. They make some good smoothie type drinks, too. Tidal Creek has a smaller version, and sometimes some tasty things on it, but I think Lovey's is superior in quantity and quality.
there are two salt works. there is one on wrightsville, and there is one on oleander. I've never been to the one on oleander. middle of the island has closed down, but I agree, it was tasty. the olympia is pretty good. that's on oleander too. another dive/local type place would be saharas on market. good outdoor atmosphere and the food is not bad either. the slice of life near mayfaire is so much nicer than the one downtown. I ate there with my parents, and was unsure of how the pizza would taste sober. it was really good.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
The holy trinity:
Sweet and Savory, Indochine, The Basics

2nd Tier of Greatness:
Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn (not Flaming Amy's Bowl), Casey's, Dixie Grill

Middle-of-the-road:
Bluewater, Dock Street Oyster Bar, Reel Cafe, Salt Works I or II, Paddys Hallow

Underrated:
Tokyo Deli, Nagila, Big Thai, Firebelly

Overrated:
Elijah's, Oceanic, Dockside, Front Street Brewery, Hell's Kitchen

Pizza:
Slice of Life, I heart NY Pizza, Michaelangelo's

Heard good things but haven't tried:
Boca Bay, a Taste of Italy, Nikki's Sushi, Yosake, Circa 22, Big Dipper

Regarding other suggestions..
-PT's Olde Fashioned grille is gross.
-Slice of Life is not in Mayfaire, but it is close by.
-Salt Works is not "Another Waffle House" by any stretch of the imagination. Show me where I can find a waffle house that serves fried catfish, cornbread, and collard greens.

Last edited by le roi; 06-07-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I heart NY Pizza, Michaelangelo's
brooklyn beats them both.

Quote:
PT's Olde Fashioned grille is gross.
you're the only one in wilmington who thinks so.

Quote:
Slice of Life is not in Mayfaire
who said it was? I said:
Quote:
slice of life pizza near mayfaire is really good

Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
brooklyn beats them both.
Haven't heard of it.

Quote:
you're the only one in wilmington who thinks so.
I know people who like it and people who don't. Besides being extra greasy, I think it is a run-of-the-mill hamburger in every way.

Quote:
who said it was?
>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetocarolina View Post

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Haven't heard of it.

I know people who like it and people who don't. Besides being extra greasy, I think it is a run-of-the-mill hamburger in every way.

>>

emoticons usually don't make for a solid debate. PT's gets good reviews by the vast majority of patrons. five guys has good burgers too.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM

311 posts, read 916,068 times
The Basics downtown is AWESOME. had a truly delectable breakfast there.

Hell's Kitchen's onion rings are thee BEST onion rings I've ever had, and this is not just because I'm obsessed with dawson's creek.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 AM

92 posts, read 223,337 times
Default Really Good Restaurant

I think the Oceanic is really good - you just have to know what to order! Try their She-Crab Soup. Out of this world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina