U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

67 posts, read 196,732 times

Advertisements

Team Wilmington,

Coming from CT

Economically and lifestyle speaking, we want to relocate and are near term...but 4 school age kids makes the decision harder and research that much more important.

Married, 40, 4 children, professional, very active, very social, looking for a development that makes sense.

We live in a very nice community today and seek the same- but we need warmer and a better quality of life--- a friendly and outgoing environment is a must as we really want to make this as smooth a transition as possible for our children.

Commute not an issue, looking for a "larger lot", great schools, pool tennis preferred, golf not important.

We are able to spend 500 to 600k

Thinking about Landfall, Waterford- do they fit well for family, schools and social life?

What other areas or developments would you recommend?

What are the best area for schools?

Are there a lot of good sports programs for kids?

Is there softball, flag football, basketball leagues for adults?

If you had to do it all over again, or were going to make a recommendation, PLEASE throw it at us!!!

THANK YOU!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,082,665 times
sounds like those two might fit your bill.
there are good public schools and a few private ones as well.
whatever your wish is for sports ,wilmington has it covered. children and adults .every weekend i see several groups playing flag football at the park in wrigtsville beach, which you would live very close to if you choose landfall.
most importantly , don't foget the ocean , kayaking, paddle boarding , surfing, kiteboarding , windsurfing, fishing , the list goes on.
the weather os wonderful pretty mych year round , there is a good bit of hummidity during the summer but after one summer you will adjust.
we live on two acres up around the area where cape fear academy [ private school] is located.
no community pool/tennis but we did not want that , no hoa's for us. spent around 500k.
good luck in your search.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Thanks movedtothecoast....how about Mayfaire?

Any and all feedback is appreciated....!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,776,379 times
There's no question that Landfall is a nice place to live. It's probably the most well-known high end housing development in the Wilmington area. I didn't realize $500k-$600k could get you a single family residence in Landfall.. so from a value perspective that sounds good.

Landfall does have sort of a reputation as a place for big money, mainly from out of town. This is a good thing to some people, and a bad thing to others. Landfall is a brand, for better or worse. It'd be nice to know what the inside looks like, but they don't let the general public in.

Mayfaire is a nice outdoor mixed use shopping center. It has some really cool homes nearby, but I don't know that there are any single family homes on large lots.

Last edited by le roi; 06-17-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

291 posts, read 817,154 times
"Mayfaire is a nice outdoor mixed use shopping center. It has some really cool homes nearby, but I don't know that there are any single family homes on large lots."

I think Mayfaire has some beautiful homes - but I think they are pretty small lots.

Landfall is pretty - you would want to read the covenants carefully - lots of restrictions from what I hear and pretty high HOA dues.

You might want to explore Autumn Hall on the web.
Hope you can spend some good time at some point exploring the area - lots of choices for you and your family! Good luck with your relocation!

Last edited by MTNesters; 06-17-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: couldn't figure out how to "quote" that first sentence properly

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,543,589 times
my suggestion. landfall is mostly retired people. you are not going to find many families in homes that expensive. if I were going to spend that much money on a home, I would live in forest hills and send my kids to private school. the yards in forest hills are huge and the neighborhood has some character. landfall, not so much.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,082,665 times
to be honest i don't know what single family homes are selling for in landfall , don't expect one would get much land with a house for 500k but times are different now.
i agree that forest hills and surrounding area is wonderful. absolutely lovely area with mature gardens.
i know people in their twenties that live in landfall , it is absolutely not a neighborhood for us but
some people like those planned, restricted hood's.
there are also plenty of nice neighborhoods out towards monkey junction, georgetown is one i can think of that is in the 500k price range.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Hard to figure out where the family developments are...

Marsh Oaks?

Tyndall?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,543,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyof6fromCT View Post
Hard to figure out where the family developments are...

Marsh Oaks?

Tyndall?
I will be blunt. you aren't going to find many families living in areas in that price range. the reason being that jobs in wilmington don't pay jack, so people with families live in places where houses are in the $150-$200k range. that's why I suggested you spend a little less money, and send the kids to private schools as public schools aren't the strongest in wilmington. if you want to spend that much on a house, you will be living in a stodgy neighborhood without people to relate to. marsh oaks might not be quite as bad as say, landfall. have you considered downtown? lots of people out with strollers and dogs downtown.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 PM

well I guess that's somewhat discouraging but also good news- Would MUCH rather spend less- we do prefer a community with a pool, parks, etc...seems it will be much easier to transition the kids- Marsh Oaks looks nice...is there anyone out there living in any of these communities that can share there experiences..??!! THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina