Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,824,594 times

Advertisements

What a neat little town! Despite having lived most of our lives within the Carolinas, we had never taken the opportunity to visit Beaufort, NC. We just completed a too-brief 3-day visit, and our only regret is that we did not “discover” Beaufort long ago. Very much a boating town, Beaufort has managed to avoid the atmosphere and pace typically found in tourist destinations. The downtown Front Street area is also nicely compact, lending itself to leaving the car parked during most of our visit, which suited us perfectly. The primary goal of this trip was rest & relaxation, and Beaufort proved to be a great choice.

We stayed at the Pecan Tree Inn, a very pleasant 7-room B&B located just a 1/2 block from Front Street. It is convenient to the waterfront, restaurants and shops, and our room was very comfortable. The innkeeper does his own baking for the delicious continental breakfast served each morning. It also offers three outdoor porches suited for serious relaxation. We look forward to staying with them again, and recommend it highly.

Dining – In choosing restaurants, we placed a premium on views, consequently passing up several of the more highly regarded restaurants. Regardless, we had an exceptionally delicious dinner, along with a $$ million view at Spouter Inn. My tuna steak may have been one of the best I’ve ever eaten in a restaurant. The outdoor patio overlooking Taylor’s Creek is covered with a tin roof which provided relaxing "dinner music" when a light early-evening shower popped up. We had an excellent lunch at Front Street Grill, but thought their dinner menu was pricey. We also ate one evening at Clawson’s. While it wasn’t bad, we probably would not do that again. Boardwalk Café was an enjoyable place to grab a light meal, but a little over-priced for what you got. Still, their view of the water and docks, along with the covered open-air tables, was probably worth the premium.

Nite Life – We did not find a lot of it, but the Dock House had live music each night, and drew a good-sized crowd on the boardwalk. Our best find was the roof-top patio at Finz Grill. Out of the way and not advertised, they had an enjoyable duo performing for the handful of folks who found their way up there. No wait staff on the roof, so whenever it was time for more refreshment, you simply wandered down to the bar. A funky approach, appreciated by one who is accustomed to waitresses constantly pushing more drinks.

Attractions – Our primary attractions were the waterfront cafes as well as serious porch time with a good book. We enjoyed plenty of both. Other recommendations include an excellent maritime museum in Beaufort and a leisurely stroll thru Beaufort’s Old Burying Ground. Both are free (accepting donations) and well worth the time we spent there. The NC Aquarium at Pine Knolls Shore may be the best $8 I’ve ever spent. We were blown away by the sophistication of their tanks and marine life, and by the excellent presentation of ecologically important information. Their volunteer staff was very knowledgeable and anxious to answer any questions. Anyone who has never visited is missing a real treat.

Overall, it was a great visit, and we look forward to doing it again soon.

PS to dsobotta: Just a quick note to say thanks for recommending Spouter Inn and for your online Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link). Spouter Inn was the perfect choice for us, and we referred to your guide frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 164,115 times
Thanks for the great post about Beaufort, PawleysDude. That is one of the many coastal towns we are considering for relocation in the next few years, so I appreciate that you took the time to write Beaufort up!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Enjoyed your travelogue report on Beaufort...sounds as though you really relaxed, ate some good meals and enjoyed this charming village...it is a sweet little place to stay a while...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 AM

135 posts, read 640,189 times
I love Beaufort and i'm glad that you enjoyed your stay there! You also noted a few restaurants that i did not know about, i'll have to check them out with my family when we are there in a few weeks. Next time you should go explore the islands off of Beaufort, as well as Fort Macon. Shackleford Banks has some very nice views of the ocean and of the wild horses, although we always had better shelling over at Cape Lookout. The Fort is quite an interesting piece of history and in years past we've had several knowledgable and friendly guides.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,538 times
My wife and I will be in Beaufort again in 6 weeks! I can't wait to get back over there because we absolutely fell in love with the place. It was very hard to come back home because we loved Beaufort/Morehead City so much and had so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina