Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 129,959 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on New Bern NC. We made a quick visit this weekend from CT. We loved Carolina Colours and it seems to be where we will move if we decide to make the change. We didnt get a chance to see the whole town, but what we did see we loved. We have 3 kids that will be in elementary school. How are the people in new bern? Is is easy to make friends? A close and welcoming community? Please share what you know. Also does anyone know about the schools, Brinson elem, Mcdonald middle school and new bern high school? Please share what you can.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbill View Post
Can anyone shed some light on New Bern NC. We made a quick visit this weekend from CT. We loved Carolina Colours and it seems to be where we will move if we decide to make the change. We didnt get a chance to see the whole town, but what we did see we loved. We have 3 kids that will be in elementary school. How are the people in new bern? Is is easy to make friends? A close and welcoming community? Please share what you know. Also does anyone know about the schools, Brinson elem, Mcdonald middle school and new bern high school? Please share what you can.
Thanks...
Brinson is the best elem school in New Bern....I went their myself. So I might be bias.....but other people will tell you the same...Brinson is the best. I have heard the city is building a new elem school in James City though. HJ is the best middle school. New Bern high school is over crowded, but they are also building a new high school in James city, so no worries there.

New Bern is the best city in eastern NC along with Wilmington. New Bern is a great and safe place to raise a family. I don't think you will regret the decision any. (all the water is great.....if you don't have a boat...try to find friends with one.....)

Good luck

Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Smile Thanks for the info on New Bern

Thanks for the information, that is helpful. Do you still live in New Bern? My husband is in the construction business, do you know how it is for skilled master carpenters? We are hoping that he can find a job before we move down with a construction co. He does residential homes, mainly exterior wood siding but can build an entire home(which he has done). How far is the main shopping, walmart etc from Carolina colours, or the downtown historic section. Unfortunately we didnt have a chance to see this part. I am so nervous of this big change for my kids but New Bern really felt "right". I know in a development they will meet kids easily. We are tired of the cold weather and extreme high cost of living. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM

There is plenty of "main" shopping in New Bern

Wal-mart
Target
The mall
etc....all within 10 minutes of Carolina colours

They are getting ready to build a new shopping center near the subdivision you are talking about moving to. This shopping center will bring new stores to town. New Bern is not spread out like other eastern NC towns. So no matter where you move, you will be near everything.

Sorry, I have no clue about jobs

I live in Fuquay Varina now (Raleigh)

New Bern is booming. So tons of homes are being built. So I have a feeling your husband will find a job pretty easy. But I don't know much about that. James City, the area you are talking about moving to, is on fire. That is the area of town, along with downtown New Bern, that is really booming right now.

Any more questions, just ask

Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM

80 posts, read 461,681 times
I was in New Bern on business/vacation last June. I really enjoy the quaint downtown area and have found the residents to be friendly and helpful. Did you check out Cow Cafe? Also, I enjoyed a fabulous and creative meal at BearTown French Bakery & Bistro and a breakfast consisting of a shrimp omelet with a huge sweet potato biscuit and grits at Marina Sweets while we were there. Carolina Colours will be a good choice, particularly as it comes of age in the next 3-4 years. If I'm not mistaken, aren't they building or planning to build an elementary school in the community? There does seem to be quite a lot of building going on as more people move into the area so I would think that there would be a demand for your husband's skills.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the information. No we didnt get to the cow cafe but read about it, sorry we missed it, my kids would have loved it. We got a great book about New Bern on our way out and it pointed out some great places, cow cafe was one of them. Yes they are building a new school, so this is nice. It really seems, from what we have read and seen that they do a lot of activities for the town residents. I think you are right about the construction, and my husband is very skilled so he has many options. Hopefully I will have no difficulty obtaining a special education teaching position. They are high in demand in ct, but I am not sure about nc. Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM

It looks like we will be moving to New Bern. I am excited but nervous at the same time. The only place I have lived is in connecticut, same town. I have my favorite chinese rest, pizza place etc.. I need to find these places again, the simple things. Does anyone have any suggestions about dance classes for my 7 yr old (tap and jazz) this is her 3rd year, also piano lessons. Does New Bern have a little league program. Does the YMCA have a swim team? Can someone tell me or reassure me that kids make friends easily. They are all excited and are ready to go, but I am the worrier. I am so glad I found this forum, it is a great help! Thanks again for the info and help.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,951 times
Default check out new bern's local paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbill View Post
It looks like we will be moving to New Bern. I am excited but nervous at the same time. The only place I have lived is in connecticut, same town. I have my favorite chinese rest, pizza place etc.. I need to find these places again, the simple things. Does anyone have any suggestions about dance classes for my 7 yr old (tap and jazz) this is her 3rd year, also piano lessons. Does New Bern have a little league program. Does the YMCA have a swim team? Can someone tell me or reassure me that kids make friends easily. They are all excited and are ready to go, but I am the worrier. I am so glad I found this forum, it is a great help! Thanks again for the info and help.
Since you're now committed to moving to New Bern (fyi, my husband and I are hoping to move to the area this year (we're from mass - lived here our whole lives) as well but he works in manufacturing as a buyer so jobs are little more scarce for him) i highly suggest you also check out www.enctoday.com, ENC publishes New bern's local newspaper and the site also have a message board. the folks on it are extremely helpful. good luck with your move.

Last edited by surfingatwork; 04-19-2007 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention where i'm from

Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Trust me, New Bern is a great little town. Plenty of people from up north already live their. Your kids will have no problem making friends.

I moved to New Bern in the 4th grade, made friends the first day. It's really not that hard for kids to make new friends and adjust. If you have kids in High School, that is different.

Good luck

Old 04-19-2007, 03:27 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,124 times
Kimbill,
We are from CT and will be moseying around New Bern for a few days starting 4/29. On Saturday we leave for Charleston and will stop on our way back. What area of CT are you from? We're south of Waterbury.
Last year we spent an afternoon in New Bern---I loved the downtown and waterfront. Didn't have time to check out any neighborhoods.
Carol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina