Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM

29 posts, read 140,343 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to NC and we are looking for waterfront property, preferably not in a subdivision. We have a 13 year old, so the school district is VERY important!! We have narrowed our search to Havelock on the Neuse, New Bern or Oriental. Does anyone know about the school districts in these areas. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGGON View Post
My husband and I are moving to NC and we are looking for waterfront property, preferably not in a subdivision. We have a 13 year old, so the school district is VERY important!! We have narrowed our search to Havelock on the Neuse, New Bern or Oriental. Does anyone know about the school districts in these areas. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Id have to say Newbern hands down.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Even though Havelock is closer to the beaches than New Bern, I would recommend New Bern. I don't know much about Oriental except it is smaller than New Bern. New Bern is about 45 minutes from Morehead City near Atlantic Beach and other beaches and is a real historic find. Havelock is a lot smaller.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGGON View Post
Oriental is considered the sailing capital of the US. My hubby and I visited the area in march (new bern, beaufort, emerald isle, morehead city). I wanted to check out Oriental but hubby (who's an avid fisherman on the weekends) said something about too far boat wise to the atlantic) so we didn't go.

We drove through havelock (at least the part that's on route 70) but didn't stop. We're also interested in waterfront property (or as close as we can get in our price range). We did see some beautiful homes on emerald isle near the water (water at the end of street) in the 4s and 5s. We also saw some homes across the street from the sound in morehead city for $400,000 The homes we looked at in new bern were not waterfront but personally i liked new bern better than morehead city, beaufort's downtown area better than new bern and emerald isle above all. we don't have children and i perfer a quiet, quaint town to a city which is why i didn't care for morehead city (too built up and felt congested for me). New bern has a lot of homes in subdivisions (just an fyi). Interesting new bern is very large with lots of different sections but it didn't "feel" large. good luck with your search.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
SARGGON,
The towns you listed are in two seperate counties so I included the school systems for both here.
Craven County Schools: http://www.craven.k12.nc.us/
Pamlico County Schools: http://www.pamlico.k12.nc.us/

I went ahead and included neighboring Carteret County Schools as well:
http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/

As a general rule, waterfront property in Pamlico County will be the lowest price. Carteret County is the only county of the three adjacent to the ocean.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 AM

Thank so much for the information. Looks like we are leaning toward Craven County. Is it true its mostly military?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Craven County is very diverse. For example, The town of Havelock is home to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point (http://www.cityofhavelock.com/ (broken link)) . A few miles down the road is historical New Bern-North Carolina's original state capitol and the birthplace of Pepsi Cola (http://www.visitnewbern.com/) (broken link).
Both are situated on the Neuse River. To stay informed of all of the news and events along the coast: http://www.nccoastalnews.com (broken link)

Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Havelock is a basic military town along US 70 that grew up around Cherry Point Marine Air Base. The base is home to the Fleet Readiness Center East, which is the only FRC to do repair work at the depot level on Marine air assets. It is also the only place outside of England qualified to service the AV8 Harrier VSTOL attack aircraft. Can you tell I work there? LOL!
Anyway we are having a great airshow the weekend of May 4th, 5th, and 6th, free to the public, so come check it out. www.cherrypointairshow.com

New Bern is the old Colonial Capital of NC. The old royal governor's palace "Tryon Palace" stands restored and offers tours. New Bern has a cool waterfront on the Neuse river. It is much larger and older than Havelock, having been founded in the early 1700's vs. 1943 for Cherry Point Air Base.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM

We are leaning towards Havelock because of the school district. Do you have any kids in the Havelock schools? Anything you can tell me about it? My husband really wants to see the air show, he is a big kid at heart, so we might be down for it. We are looking at a few properties one in Cherry Branch and one on the other side of the ferry on the Neuse. Any recomendations?

Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question very well, especially about the very important consideration of schools. Unfortunately I don't have any info along those lines as I live quite aways from the Craven Co. area.
I know there are some plans for some new schools to be built in the New Bern area, and that the Brinson school district is considered to be one of the better ones, to the point that it is suffering from overcrowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina