Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,507 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Virginia and are considering relocating to the Wilmington area from Johnstown, Pa. My husband now works from home and can relocate anywhere with an international airport. We are looking for a small city/town on the coast with a good cultural mix, artist community, and good public or private schools for the kids. I've looked up arts in Wilmington and I'm having trouble getting a feel for the city. From the posts I've read and websites I've found there are a few artists living in Wilmington. Is there an arts league? Is Wilmington large enough to support an arts community? I've found some older posts and news articles indicating that the Brooklyn Arts District is simply marketing and that the Brooklyn Arts Center was not completed due to lack of funds and community support. I would love to hear from any artists or art lovers familiar with area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 PM

291 posts, read 869,718 times
Michelle -
Here are a few links for you that might be helpful - this is for the Wilmington Art Association:
Home Page

Here's is the Hampstead art league - basically this league is just folks gathering together to paint on Mondays - some of them belong to WAA and exhibit there also:
Hampstead Art League - Monday, December 08, 2008 - Creative Wilmington

Southport has a pretty good arts scene and this is the link for the gallery of their art association:
About

I don't know how supportive you could consider this area of artists - I think it might be tough to make a living selling art here, but I"ve never tried to do that - I just paint for my own pleasure and fun! There are some very nice galleries in Wilmington, and here's a link for a few of them:
.:: The Insiders' Guide to North Carolina's Southern Coast and Wilmington - Shopping - Galleries ::. (http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/main-shopping12.htm - broken link)

Take a look at these and if you have any questions, let me know....Marg

Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 PM

Hi Marg, thank you for the quick reply and the links. It's pretty tough selling art anywhere right now but I'm not going to let a little (or big) recession stop me. I still know people with wall space, LOL.

Love the Creative Wilmington site. I was interested to see that there is both a Fourth Friday Gallery Night and a First Friday Studio Crawl. So there is far more interest than there is in Johnstown. Have you attended either of these? Michelle

Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 AM

12 posts, read 34,112 times
Wilmington is a GREAT city for the arts. The community does support it and there is always something happening. You might want to check out a website North Carolina Internet Information Services | NC Info | North Carolina Info | North Carolina Information and look under arts, they have several listed which might be of interest to you.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the new link. I'll check that out.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Some of the beaches near Wilmington, where tourists come in the summer, have art galleries and such, so find the websites for those beaches. While it sounds like you're looking for painting art, Wilmington is also a movie town, lots of stuff is filmed there and they have a studio.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,249 times
Wilmington also has an up and coming comedy scene. Level 5 Citystage downtown is an old Masonic Building that has a 200 seat theatre on the 5th floor where they have improv comedy on Tuesday nights, Sketch comedyon Thursday nights and stand-up comedy shows every so often.

The stand-up comedy scene is stronger then Charleston, SC or Savannah and both cities are similar in size. Wilmington, as the other two, still does not have a year round "comedy club" like Funny Bone or anything like that.

Comedy by the Beach: Because Comedy is Better By the Beach! is a site for local stand-up comedy shows

Old 08-22-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
just moved from that area. great area and wonderful schools for kids. i would look in the slower end around brunswick cty. southport or calabash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina