Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,289 times

Advertisements

I am from Bradenton, Fl and my husband is from Columbus, OH. We have been considering relocating to the NC Coast, so we can be near the ocean, but still enjoy the seasons. (From all that we have heard, it seems to be the perfect blend of what we love most in both areas.)

We are currently living in a hip community of other young pre-children professionals, but have discouraged by the rise in crime. I love that we can walk to dinner, for coffee, or to the local book store, but am tired of having our car broken into or finding random people digging through our trash in the alley.

We would like to live in a friendly small town or historic district no more then 45 minutes from a quiet beach where the surf is not too rough. We love farmer's markets, picnics, walks on the beach, kayaking, long bike rides, and local festivals.

Any help in pointing us in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,561,737 times
Try Beaufort, Cape Carteret, or Swansboro...

Oriental's sweet ,too, but further from the ocean.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,491,377 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Orient...-Carolina.html
I noticed one of our posters was from this town and I had never heard of it, so I did a city-data search and find it very interesting. If I were heading to the coast of North Carolina, I think I might check this place out.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 PM

135 posts, read 637,916 times
I would second Beaufort. It's a gorgeous town, most the locals seem to be in their middling or older years, but they are all very friendly and laid back. lots to do in the area. It does get touristy in the summer, but i don't think it's as bad as some other areas to the north and south. There are quite a few historic homes in the town. Atlantic Beach isn't far away, 30 minutes max, where fort macon has public beach access points. You can also kayak out of beaufort over to carrot island etc to shell/eat/explore.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,060 times
Both Oriental and Beaufort, with the influx of Yankee dollars, are really, really expensive.

To quote my sister in law, who is moving to Oriental in the near term, "Hope you will visit us in the double wide." Her husband makes well into the 6 figures. They could not even consider Beaufort. Just sayin'.

I like Swansboro more and more each time I go down there. It might be the "last jewel" but won't be for long.

lln

Old 07-25-2009, 07:43 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,005,435 times
Let's look at a few facts. YTD-The average sold price of a residential property in the Neuse River Board of Realtors is $198K. The average sold price of an Oriental home is $257K.
The average sold price YTD of a residential property in the Crystal Coast Board of Realtors is $242K. The average sold price of a Beaufort home this year is $285K.
Please Note: These are sold prices-Not List prices.

Beaufort and Oriental can be expensive, but don't have to be. Living 5-10 minutes out of either can reduce your cost by 25%-50% (if not more).

Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 AM

Beaufort has some good prices right now, they've dropped...

Simple, stick-built 3/2 or 3/1.5 homes in Beaufort, not on the waterfront, and not in the Historic District, but in safe, stable, child and dog-friendly neighborhoods, can be had for under $200,000. Lots are .25-.5/acre. They're a half mile or so from public boat ramps, a mile from waterfront Front street and all the shops and activities...and close to the new library...

Here are three of 'em. If the links don't work do a search on and select 3/1.5 and max price of $200,000. There are good buys to be found right now...happy shopping!

Try a similar search for Swansboro, Oriental or Cape Carteret and see what you find.

And yes, you'll also find waterfront places with docks for much, much more...

(http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/211-Vine-St_Beaufort_NC_28516_1102909108 - broken link)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-25-2009 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: advertising use dm

Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,289 times
These were all really great suggestions and I have really enjoyed researching these towns further. Beaufort has definitely captured our interest and seems to have everything we are looking for.

Can anyone tell me what shopping is like in the area? How far to the closest mall, Target, or TJMaxx? Is anyone familiar with the local salons and or spas? I am a cosmetologist and although these things are not deal breakers, they are definitely perks.

Another place we are considering is Wilmington. But after reading some of the posts in the forum, I am a bit concerned about the level of crime. I am not sure we want more of the same. Is it really that bad or is it just pockets that need to be avoided?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 PM

From Beaufort to nearest TJ Max (in Morehead City) is 10 miles; same to Wal Mart. To nearest Target (New Bern) is 42 miles.

But Beaufort and Morehead City both have lots of interesting, one-of-a-kind, locally-owned stores with unique merchandise that make shopping very fun...along with art galleries and hand-made crafts. Our area's alive with talented artists of every persuasion...

I always encourage people to patronize the locally-owned places and help support the local economy. In small towns, especially, we're all in this world together...and united we stand...

Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM

713 posts, read 3,912,162 times
Smile Target is missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Dreamer View Post
These were all really great suggestions and I have really enjoyed researching these towns further. Beaufort has definitely captured our interest and seems to have everything we are looking for.

Can anyone tell me what shopping is like in the area? How far to the closest mall, Target, or TJMaxx? Is anyone familiar with the local salons and or spas? I am a cosmetologist and although these things are not deal breakers, they are definitely perks.

Another place we are considering is Wilmington. But after reading some of the posts in the forum, I am a bit concerned about the level of crime. I am not sure we want more of the same. Is it really that bad or is it just pockets that need to be avoided?
We live in the western end of the county near Swansboro. The one store my wife misses is Target. The closest Target for us is in Jacksonville about thirty minutes away. There is also one in New Bern which is forty five minutes for us.

There are persistent rumors that Target is headed to Morehead City, but so far there is no confirmation.

Carteret County has little crime compared to most cities. You can read more about the area on my blog and archive of posts.

There is an interactive map with mall location and lots of area pictures at this link.

This is an article I wrote on Beaufort's rebirth for the Dropping Anchor magazine.

Good luck finding a spot.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-26-2009 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: left out word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina