Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM

75 posts, read 219,438 times

Advertisements

Wife and I (mostly I) are torn between OBX and North Myrtle Beach for the location of a vacation home we are hoping to start searching for.

- We like MB but we love OBX.
- Prices are much lower in MB. Not sure how/if that equates to future gains as prices caome back.
- OBX is a shorter trip from our SE PA home - unless we venture to Hatteras Island - then it gets close time-wise.
- OBX is all tourist, MB combines the real world with the beach more.
- Rental demand and rates are better (I assume) in the OBX. At this stage we don't plan on renting except to family and friends but you never know.

What other factors am I missing??? Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,193,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Wife and I (mostly I) are torn between OBX and North Myrtle Beach for the location of a vacation home we are hoping to start searching for.

- Prices are much lower in MB. Not sure how/if that equates to future gains as prices caome back.
- OBX is a shorter trip from our SE PA home - unless we venture to Hatteras Island - then it gets close time-wise.
- Rental demand and rates are better (I assume) in the OBX. At this stage we don't plan on renting except to family and friends but you never know.

I can't stand all the crowds and "Vegas-like" atmosphere at MB, so I would choose ANYWHERE but there. Why those 2 locations in particular? Have you considered somewhere around Wilmington?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 AM

75 posts, read 219,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Why those 2 locations in particular? Have you considered somewhere around Wilmington?
I would but I don't know much about the area. We spend 4-5 weeks a year in the OBX. We have friends who own a condo in MB so we get there a few times a year as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM

713 posts, read 3,920,663 times
Smile Perhaps a solution in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post

You might find the Southern Outer Banks (SOBX) an alternative that offers a little of each.

The area between Beaufort, NC and Swansboro, NC is often referred to as the Crystal Coast. Part of the reason happens to be the crystal clear waters.

There is plenty of beach to enjoy on the Crystal Coast and some beach at Cape Lookout even more pristine than the Northern Outer Banks.

The key difference from the Northern Outer Banks is that the Crystal Coast is a year around community with plenty of modern services.

We are also protected from over development by the 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest.

This area is also a fantastic area for boating and kayaking.

We are not a Myrtle Beach and will never be. It you like the wall to wall condos, outlet shopping, and evening show, you will be happier in Myrtle Beach.

However, we are only three hours from Myrtle Beach so when people want a taste of that, we can easily do a day trip or a long weekend.

We have a very strong rental demand in our area and relatively stable prices compared to Myrtle Beach. We also have a wide variety of available properties.

The Crystal Coast does not have the traffic problems and huge tourist traffic of Myrtle Beach but we are a great place to live and even raise a family.

These are my reasons for loving the area and this is a website with lots of pictures and information about the area. My blog on the area describes what it is like to live here.

We have a number of people from Pennsylvania who have settled in the area.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

148 posts, read 609,937 times
One thing I believe you should take into consideration is medical care.....How close is the nearest hospital? Cardiologist, etc....I love Myrtle Beach, going there later today for some family time, a great place to visit, but I wouldnt want to live there...OBX, it is what it is...but there again, medical care....I want good police, fire, rescue, stores, and peace and quiet, just whatever you need for daily life....you can drive two hours to entertainment, i.e. Myrtle Beach...but quietness is a blessing.....Look from Sneads Ferry to Morehead City, even Holly Springs....nice areas...And I happen to cover all those areas...I just had to throw that in, lol....

Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 AM

56 posts, read 117,947 times
We have gone to OBX for many years, but now we love the Crystal Coast. Emerald Isle, Pine Knolls, Atlantic Beach...the whole island. The uncrowded beaches, the great weather, the laid back beach atmosphere, the reasonable prices for oceanfront. (Our condo in Pine Knolls this July was $1200 wk-2 bedroom, direct oceanfront). Well worth the 12-14 hrs., traffic depending, to get the heck out of Ohio!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,306,109 times
We too love the Crystal Coast. Have been going to Emerald Isle for the past 5 summers. This past summer we went twice-a condo right on the ocean.

We needed to get the heck out of IL! We fly as the drive is too long for us.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM

56 posts, read 117,947 times
DKVA,
Do you fly to Raleigh or Greenville and then drive to the beach? I often thought of checking that out. What is your route, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,306,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
DKVA,
Do you fly to Raleigh or Greenville and then drive to the beach? I often thought of checking that out. What is your route, if you don't mind me asking?
In July we flew to New Bern, August was to Jacksonville, then drove to Emerald Isle. Both times we had stops-to New Bern stopped in Charlotte-to Jacksonville we stopped in Atlanta. Next time we will definitely go to New Bern. We didn't like the stop in Atlanta going to Jacksonville. Atlanta is too huge-we had to get on train,( albeit a quick ride) to get to our connecting gate.
Both drives were about an hour.
We are somewhat lucky in that both are kids live in Richmond. They bring the beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing poles and boogie boards. Otherwise we would have to rent everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina