Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 PM

330 posts, read 878,664 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be heading to the Outer Banks this weekend and I was wondering what beach in the Outer Banks gives the closest beach feeling to Florida beaches in terms of ocean and sand? I always hear Orcacoke is really nice, but we're going to be staying in VA Beach and the drive to Orcacoke is going to be really far. So what is the best beach in terms of ocean and sand that is close to VA Beach.

I'm willing to drive up to 2 or 3 hours from VA Beach, but nothing more than that since we don't have a lot time. Last time I stayed around Duck and it was similar to Myrtle Beach in terms of ocean and sand, but it wasn't exactly like Florida. But it was much better than VA Beach.

If most of the beaches are about the same, then what area is best for a family with 3 kids uner 12 years of age? Any areas with a water park area that is worth it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
My family and I are going to be heading to the Outer Banks this weekend and I was wondering what beach in the Outer Banks gives the closest beach feeling to Florida beaches in terms of ocean and sand? I always hear Orcacoke is really nice, but we're going to be staying in VA Beach and the drive to Orcacoke is going to be really far. So what is the best beach in terms of ocean and sand that is close to VA Beach.

I'm willing to drive up to 2 or 3 hours from VA Beach, but nothing more than that since we don't have a lot time. Last time I stayed around Duck and it was similar to Myrtle Beach in terms of ocean and sand, but it wasn't exactly like Florida. But it was much better than VA Beach.

If most of the beaches are about the same, then what area is best for a family with 3 kids uner 12 years of age? Any areas with a water park area that is worth it?

There really are no real theme parks along the N.C. coast, the draw is the beach and fishing. There are aquariums along the coast, an old fort or two, old lifeguard stations (shipwreck stuff), the Maritime Museum in Beaufort, but mostly it is the largely deserted beach that stretches for miles. Virginia and S. Carolina have the carnival atmosphere beach environment, N. Carolina goes more for peace and quiet.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM

144 posts, read 680,415 times
There really are no beaches in NC quite like the beaches in FL in the distance that you are willing to travel. Ocracoke would be about the best but it would be a little too far. The beaches farther north have been cut bad by the surf last winter. Down around mile post 8-10 the beaches are pretty decent but the water is very cold this year. If you're looking for somewhere to do family things I would suggest heading over to Manteo. They have an aquarium, Festival park that has a small museum, and a couple of sight seeing attractions (a colonial boat, and village) If you haven't seen the Lost Colony that is a really neat production and there is always the Elizabethan Gardens. There's not a whole lot else in the way of attractions. You can also visit Jockey's Ridge in Nags Head (MP12.5) which is usually a neat trip. Usually the farther south you go on beach the warmer the water is.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,403,269 times
for future references , on your next trip , try wrightsville beach .
i swear that is where you will find the clearest blue [ on some days almost caribean] water anywhere. just beautiful .
sand is stil nc coastal sand though.
there is a tiny water park in wilmington , i mean tiny.
fort fisher aqaurium is also near by.

the closest to florida beaches i have seen is in SC around charleston and south from there.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,022,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post

You might as well stay at Va Bch, to truly experience the Outerbanks you need 1) a couple of days and 2) travel at least to Rodanthe and areas futher south, yes places like Hatteras, Ocracoke Island and Portsmouth Island are the jewels of this area.... areas like Nag Head etc are pretty much just a smaller version of Va Bch........But even with the hurricane expected to stay well off shore this weekend they are still calling for 16-22 ft waves along with 1-3 feet in water rise for this area.....really no place for a family with kids under the age of 12 to be unless you know the island very well............. Plus along with the high surf the rip tides will be terrible over the weekend....so I would just stay in Va Bch and visit all of the attractions they have...and plan a trip to the Outerbanks another time when you have several days to a week to enjoy the area

Last edited by rtandc; 08-20-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,005 times
Try corolla take a horse tour i went with [url=http://www.wildhorsetour.com]Corolla Wild Horse Adventure Tours & Jeep Rentals- Outer Banks[/url] who is ranked the highest with tripadvisor. Also i rented an electric powered bike which really helped me see most the beautiful outerbanks from nags head to corolla on 2 rides. I didnt have to deal with the traffic and congestion on my 20 mph electric bike i rented. It took me close to 40 miles per trip. [url=http://www.treehuggingfun.com]Tree Hugging Fun - Electric Bike Rental & Sales Outer Banks[/url] is the only place i found that offered this

Old 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
moderator note:
im sure by now the op has went to the OBX

if you find this thread outside of city-data please post your opinion in Coastal North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.