Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 34,132 times

Advertisements

Friends and Family… Nancy and I need your help.

Nancy and I are very close with a wonderful couple from Pearl River, New York: Gregg and Grace Cosgrove. Gregg is one of my best friends, a teammate on my cycling team whom I’ve known for many years. They are terrific people of the highest quality. Their son Chance is 12 and their daughter is 8 years old.

As many did this past week on beaches all across the country, Gregg took his family to Corolla, the North Carolina beaches. At around 10am on Friday, Gregg and his 12 year old son, Chance, were boogey boarding very close to shore in no more than a few feet of water. Gregg and his son rode a small harmless wave towards shore and when Gregg emerged, he could not find his son. The boogie board was up on shore a few feet away, but the boy had been dragged out to sea. He was gone in an instant. You could only imagine the horror of losing your son, and having it happen in a split second. For all of us, it’s the absolute horror we lose sleep thinking about.

As you could imagine, a major search and rescue operation started immediately. Helicopters, boats, the Coast Guard and local search and rescue were on the scene. This was Friday at 10am-ish. As of this morning, they still have not rescued or recovered the boy. In that neck of the woods, this is fairly big news. If you Google it, you’ll run into countless articles about it. Yet, I don’t believe its been mentioned in this area yet as everyone of importance is down there doing what they can to help. And it happened late Friday.

On Friday at 9pm, we were told they suspended the search after a day of looking. Gregg stated that thereafter, with great respect to those who continued to search, the resources remaining on the scene were not fully adequate. He needs more. He asked me to help.

After several hours of calls by myself and other close friends, we finally got through to the political powers in the State of New York. At this point, we have made contact with Senator T Morahan, Tom Kliener (who called Gregg) and Congressman Elliot Engles, who has promised to reach out to the North Carolina governor and the US Coast Guard to apply pressures and ask for more resources.

As small measure of success, I was told by Gregg that the Coast Guard re-initiated the search yesterday evening committing a helicopter to the scene and would have more resources available today. We have been told that there is a window of opportunity as it relates to the ocean currents of approximately 36 to 72 hours. We are dead smack in the middle of that critical window.

In tandem with waiting for political pressures to get things going, Nancy and I have offered a reward of $25,000 to any person that can find the boy. I know it sounds strange, but with this limited window of opportunity, we need every able person in the area helping out however possible. Surfers, skidoo owners, scuba shops, boat owners, snorkel folk. These are all groups that can get into tight places and see what needs to be seen. The opportunity to gain significant monies if successful in their search will hopefully motivate as many people as possible to get involved. We need maximum involvement. This is one way to make it happen.

So here is the help I need. We need this story in front of as many people as possible. We need TV stations, radio stations, news print. We need anyone and everyone knowing that a 12 year old boy has been swept away, and has yet to be found. We need public sentiment to demand maximum resources on the scene and more importantly, to keep resources on the scene as long as possible. We need word of the $25,000 reward to be spread so we get as many people involved as possible.

Take five minutes and share this with a few friends, or colleagues. Take a few moments and think about anyone you might know who could help spread the word… a buddy at a radio station, a friend at the newspaper, a broker who once told you how he represents some television anchorperson. Anything and everything is appreciated.

If you need anything, please do not hesitate to email me spgoldman@trademanage.com

Sorry for the intrusion, but this critical window of opportunity is closing. Nancy and I want to simply do everything possible to help our friends who are in need. It is a parents’ absolute worst nightmare to lose a child. That is maybe only outdone by an inability to bring the child back.

This is the very least Nancy and I can do, and its really just not enough. I hope you can spare a few minutes to help us just a bit.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,135 times
We were in Section B when this horrible tragedy happened.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
The McMahon Family
Boiling Springs, PA

Old 08-31-2009, 03:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Here's a link on the story
12-year-old Pearl River boy missing off North Carolina coast | LoHud.com | The Journal News
We're somewhat familiar w/ that area as we've been in the general vicinity many times, these incidents can happen in a fraction of a second and I'm so sorry your friends are going thru this.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,733 times
Default Chance

Gregg is my fraternity brother and fraternity father. We were roommates in college and Gregg drove all the way from New York to Michigan to be a groomsman in my wedding. Gregg is an incredible father, friend and role model not only to his kids, the kids he coaches but also a life-long role model to 'grown up kids' like myself. Many of the qualities I have for my own son are things Gregg taught me as a role model. Gregg's family is everything to him. I have been in communications with our fraternity's National leaders and they have been rapidly communicating with our brothers and communicating the urgency. I also have been in contact with my Freemason brothers and leadership across the country to generate all the support, politically, emotionally, and financially. I have more info to share with you personally I don't want to post here... I have emailed you requesting you call me so I can coordinate our efforts with yours. Additionally, I have provided this information you have posted to assist with gathering political momentum to ensure the search goes on until Chance is found. Fortunately, our fraternity is filled with talented and influential brothers throughout the country and in political circles who will do anything and everything for Gregg and his family--His family is ours and we won't rest when it comes to our brother Gregg and his family. I would appreciate a phone call at your earliest convenience at the phone number I provided in my email to you. Thank you, Jake

Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 11,252 times
Gregg and I went to High School together...I feel just awful but think they are lucky to have friends like you and your wife...I posted the link to my Facebook page. Hope it helps.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Thanks for your compassion, thoughts and prayers.

Here are some pics for yesterdays effort.

And btw, I'm not spgoldman, I'm just an internet bud spreading the word. The email above is a cut-n-paste from another forum that we bought frequent.
Attached Thumbnails
Hopefully someone here can help out - NC beach drowning...-img_3355.jpg   Hopefully someone here can help out - NC beach drowning...-img_3375.jpg  

Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Update

Chance Cosgrove's body was recovered from the ocean this morning. Additional details should more appropriately come from the family, those who were there. But I've spoken with Gregg and atleast they have their boy back.

While the reality of the situation will now begin to more fully sink in for their family, at least they now have their son back in their possession and can bring him home and lay him to rest.

I'm not sure I could properly thank the thousands of people who gave so much over the last few days. It was amazing. So many people who didn't even know their family gave so much of themselves. At some future time, perhaps Gregg will allow me to share some of the incredible acts of selflessness, the unsolicited offers and help provided by so many of Gregg's closest friends, and those who have never met or known the family previously.

On behalf of the Goldman family, we extend to the Cosgrove family our prayers and blessings and our never-ending friendship.

It will be good to have the family home.

Gregg's email is gwgmcwc@yahoo.com if you would like to relate your prayers directly to him.

Steve

Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Missed this earlier (that his body was found), here's another article and the link

Authorities find body of N.Y. boy who disappeared along N.C. coast

by The Associated Press Tuesday September 01, 2009, 9:23 AM

COROLLA, N.C. -- Authorities said today they recovered the body of a 12-year-old New York boy who disappeared in rough surf along North Carolina's Outer Banks.
The Currituck County Sheriff's Office said a person walking on the beach here found the body shortly after dawn. The sheriff's department said Chance William Cosgrove's family has been notified.
The body of the Pearl River, N.Y., boy was found about a mile north of the spot he went missing Friday while boogie-boarding with his father and uncle. All three were knocked down by a wave.
A Coast Guard spokesman said the approaching Tropical Storm Danny had created strong undertows which pulled swimmers to the water's bottom.

Bergen County man offers $25K reward for 12-year-old lost on N.C. coast

Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 PM

14 posts, read 47,410 times
Heartbreaking news. My deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the Cosgrove family and friends.
Diane Doherty
Pearl River, NY

Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
I saw this and was going to post earlier, but couldn't find the catagory. It wasn't under NC.
I would have sworn that all would be well, not drowned. Thank G*d they have his remains to properly mourn & rest.
Poor baby. Heart-breaking. Thanks for posting the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina