Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 PM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times

Advertisements

Are there any naturalists on board? Why so many yellow butterflies this year in Eastern NC? They're everywhere!

What kind are they and why is such an unusually high number of them...very pretty, but wondering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 PM

169 posts, read 581,478 times
Those are yellow sulfur something-or-others they are migratory and that's why there are so many of them. They travel in swarms and are heading south.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,005,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Are there any naturalists on board? Why so many yellow butterflies this year in Eastern NC? They're everywhere!

What kind are they and why is such an unusually high number of them...very pretty, but wondering?
They might be Cloudless Sulphur butterflies according to this Lepidoptrist from the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham -What are the little yellow butterflies seen around here in late summer and early fall? | MyReporter.com

Aren't they lovely?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:11 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,798,493 times
The yellows tend to be swallowtails, the Orange ones are Monarchs, or, at least, that's what I am seeing. The Monarchs will migrate to the Yucatan Peninsula

Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,006,294 times
An annual event-Like a mullet blow (and subsequent mullet filled waves on the beach)

God displays nature in many beautiful ways and for many wondrous reasons. It's amazing what we can know if we just pay attention to what he is showing us!

Bill

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,305,036 times
Hello...i'm Time and Space....and what I'm about to write may sound odd...but it occured today...and had everything to do with 'Yellow Butterflies'....

I haven't posted on here in months....but after what occured today...just figured I'd give it a shot...

I have no reason to make this up...there's other ways I could garner attention...than writing about 'butterflies'...something that before today, I could totally care the less about...

Anyways...today, while at work...in a gritty, asphalt covered, grey overcast enviornment...
While I was walking around me vehicle...I noticed a yellow butterfly behind me...about 8 inches away...closeing in...

So naturally I turned around to 'shoe' it away...when I did so...it 'vanished'...disapeared out of sight...nowhere to be seen...

Again...the enviornment I was in was grey over cast sky's, and black/greyish asphalt sorounded by industrial 'stuff'...

So a yellow butterfly would be easy to spot...would stand out like a sore thumb...but this one vanished...as if it flew right into me....

i'm like 'where did it go?'...as I twirled around in search of...(which was observed by others)....

Then moments after that...another one appeared infront of me...about 2 feet above my head...closeing in....
Well I took same evasive action...and it to 'vanished'...again, as if it just flew into me and evaporated....

This time...certain it or they had landed on my clothing...I began shedding outter garments...but no butterflies could be seen...they were gone...

And I was 'creeped' out...

Two yellow butterflies appear in an enviornment where they shouldn't be, fly into me, and evaporate into thin air...yes...I was baffled...

Was it a supernatural occurance?...I wondered to myself?

I have no idea...so after shareing this story with a few co-workers...I went home..and researched it on the net...

And what I found out was kind of a mixed bag...

1. Yellow represents 'money'...
2. Butterflies represent 'death'....'transformation'....

I also read where people had shared that when loved ones passed away...often butterflies would appear shortly after...either before they ever knew person was gone or after they got news....

All I know is I saw what I saw...
I was at work and sober...and I don't do drugs....

I was in a regular working state of mind...and is not something I would generate out of nothing...

Infact, until now...I've never ever had an interest in 'Yellow Butterflies'...but now I'm intrigued...and is why I searched out this thread....

If anyone has ever had a similuar experience...I'd love to hear about it...

Again...I did not ask for this to occur...but would like some answers...if at all possible...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina