Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times

Advertisements

The police have a suspect in the stabbing, and I agree, Morgan's is a very nice place to dine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 PM
LLN

This one was 443 yards from my house, 50 yards closer than last weeks multiple stabbing.

From NBSJ:

A New Bern man was arrested and charged with the possession of a weapon of mass destruction after he fired shots from a sawed-off shotgun on Monday outside his home.

Notrae Jevar Andrews, 26, was arrested after New Bern Police went to his home at 611 Julia Clay St. to respond to a domestic situation, according to a press release from the New Bern Police Department. A woman reported around 3:30 p.m. Monday that her husband had a gun.

Andrews came out of the home and fired shots when police arrived. No was injured.

Andrews was arrested at that time and was charged with discharging a firearm within city limits.

After further examination of Andrews’ weapon, police gave Andrews an additional felony charge of the possession of a weapon of mass destruction.

Andrews was put in the Craven County Jail in lieu of $500 bail for the first charge and in lieu of $2,000 bail for the felony.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Sounds like you live in a bad part of town LLN. Myself, no crime since I moved in 5 1/2 years ago.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sounds like you live in a bad part of town LLN. Myself, no crime since I moved in 5 1/2 years ago.
Yeah, I guess so. So much for historic districts. On a positive note, this one was just under 1 mile away:

The New Bern Police Department is investigating a shooting at the Aces Club at 1019 Queen Street in which one of the victims, Joseph Heckstall, 28, was flown to Pitt County Memorial Hospital for treatment. On Sunday afternoon he remained there and his condition was listed as serious.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 PM
LLN

Holy Moly..these things just keep poppin off the news. About .85 miles from the home place in this case:

A man walking with his girlfriend in New Bern Saturday night reported he was stabbed by two unknown men, one of which was later identified by police as a Pamlico County man already facing felony charges including assault with a deadly weapon.

The New Bern Police Department is investigating the incident, which happened at the intersection of Broad and Bern streets around 9 p.m. Saturday. Harvey Lee Campbell, 33, of 2425 N.C. 55 West, said he was attacked from behind by two men wearing dark hooded sweatshirts, Beth Stevenson, police information officer, said in a news release.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 AM

15 posts, read 91,022 times
I have many friends on the local police force that claim that many of these incidents are isolated and the suspects and victims all know each other. Everywhere I've ever lived, Northeast, West Coast many cities in the Southeast there is always an element of crime. When I compare New Bern to the other areas where I have lived New Bern is by far the least crime ridden area I have ever lived in. There are a few areas in town that have higher incidents of crime. All the realtors in town know these areas and will encourage their clients to look in better neighborhoods.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
Default 2 poor regions

To trlhiker......I am looking at New Bern as a possible spot to retire to, so I am wondering about the "2 poor regions" of NB that you mentioned. Is there a name for these areas or are they just a few blocks without an actual name? I know that all cities have shady areas so it won't be affecting my decision to move there, I just would like to know which areas to skip when checking the real estate ads. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM

According to my wife, they are called Trent Court and Craven Terrace. They are on opposite sides of Higway 17 just before you enter The historic section of downtown. They are not hard to miss. Any other questions, feel free to dm me.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
LLN

Well, those are the utter armpits of the bad areas, but there are more. Without stepping on too many of the New Bern Sunshine Pumpers toes, I suggest you review the "award winning" Sun Journal for three or so weeks.

Get you a map and some little pins, and plot the murders, stabbings, robberies, kidnappings, and drug raids/busts/arrests, etc. It will not take long to ID, very clearly, where you do not want to be.

You do need to understand, however, that you can be near some horrific stuff, in a small, southern town, but still not be threatened unduly.

I continue to marvel at all the bad stuff that happens with 1,000 meters of where I live, (yes, you better believe I plot them), but still, we feel relatively safe here and in fact, in our neighborhood.

Good Luck.

And by the way, I am not kidding about plotting the reports, it will show you very well places to stay away from.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Get you a map and some little pins, and plot the murders, stabbings, robberies, kidnappings, and drug raids/busts/arrests, etc. It will not take long to ID, very clearly, where you do not want to be.
Embelishing a bit aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina