Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,726 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from North NJ to the Wilmington area shortly. My husband will be working right in Wilmington, so we are looking at the towns on the outskirts of the city area. My girls are 5 and 2. Oldest just started kindergarten so schools are very important to us. Also, nice, clean and safe neighborhood. Looking between 400k and 500k for a house. Some towns we noticed were Masonboro, Ogden, Kirkland, etc. Any feedback on these or other areas would be very much appreciated. It is very stressful moving so far. We can't even drive there to look around. Those of you from that area would be very helpful with your input. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
look out along college road , towards an area called monkey junction.
look along greenville sound rd, masonboro sound loop/road.
look in a neighborhood called forest hills, i would imagine forest hills might be your best fit.

ogden is far away if your children are going to private schools , most of those are along college road .

Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM

291 posts, read 869,908 times
I don't think I would buy a home here without at least coming and looking around. Perhaps you could rent for a while-it would be better than making a mistake about where you purchase. Homes in the price range you mention aren't selling that rapidly, so if you bought in the wrong area, you could potentially be good and stuck for quite awhile.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM

70 posts, read 182,508 times
those areas aren't really towns. New Hanover county is basically one large network of suburbs. Have you visited the different websites of the schools? New Hanover county has been updating different schools each year. There are many satisfied people in most of the schools. I think how you feel about the areas will be impacted by how far you have to go to get to different places. College road will make you want to scream in frustration. Who are you using as your realtor? They should be able to give you lots of info.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,726 times
Thanks for the input. So, most of the towns are really just suburbs of Wilmington. I understand. No realtor yet. This is not 100 percent. I am trying to get a headstart just in case. Just trying to learn about the different areas. We would love an area where it doesn't take 20 mins just to get some coffee at night or to local stores, Walmart, grocery, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
even though college road could make one scream with frustration it is hardly that bad.

weekends can get very busy but overall it is not bad. it does take us about 15/20 mins to get
downtown , only a few minutes to all the stores we could want.

do understand that wilmington only has about 100.000 people ,
with more when suburbs are added. about 150.000

i second the idea of coming to see for yourself and to work with
the right realtor, they have been known to steer people to the suburbs/new developments.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM

21 posts, read 86,199 times
Look at Hampstead. Supposedly their schools are pretty good, at least thats what I hear. Its a nice area too, just north of Wilmington. We're planning on moving there next year, so I hope the schools are pretty good.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM

291 posts, read 869,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowill View Post
Look at Hampstead. Supposedly their schools are pretty good, at least thats what I hear. Its a nice area too, just north of Wilmington. We're planning on moving there next year, so I hope the schools are pretty good.
Hope you will enjoy Hampstead - everyone seems to enjoy the schools here...it may be too far for the OP since she mentions her hubby will be working "right in Wilmington" but it is a nice community and we enjoy it...for us, the drive for shopping is not a big deal, but we are as the name implies...empty nesters!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM

70 posts, read 182,508 times
I think hampstead is probably too far for her shopping needs at this time . My friend moved here to the Porter's Neck area and wishes she could convince her husband to sell and move closer to the Mayfaire area.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 31,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goheels View Post
I think hampstead is probably too far for her shopping needs at this time . My friend moved here to the Porter's Neck area and wishes she could convince her husband to sell and move closer to the Mayfaire area.
Mayfaire is a nice area. Close enough to downtown and next to Wrightsville beach. But it AIN'T Cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina