Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times

Advertisements

I was going to order the 12" tent stakes I saw on the Amazon website. Will 12" stakes be long enough or will I need something longer?

I looked at that map a half dozen times and still couldn't figure out how close the sites are to each other, I was trying to see how far away the bath houses were too. I'm just going to have to deal, no matter what. Sometimes being a bit of a control freak can be a pain. I want details, but couldn't get all I wanted to know from the information site, thus why I came here. Was aside from general camping in the area I was hoping if anyone had been to that specific beach, maybe they could give me the 411.

But I am happy for the info I'm getting as it relates to the Island in general. Nice to hear from folks that have some experience camping on the coast period.

Last week my other group went to Hammocks (?have to check the spelling on that) Beach to go kayaking and they camped out. I missed out on that one. I plan to get in a few more camping trips up through mid Nov. Then I will make sure I find dozens of beaches to explore next spring and summer. Some of the beaches have cabins, so in the more severe heat, I will probably book and share the cabin sites. As long as there's no bears, I'm up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
12" stakes should be fine.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 10,254 times
We just camped there last week, at Ocracoke Campground. Very close to beach and being lulled to sleep by waves was great. Mosquitos were horrendous but I imagine they will be gone by October. Bring DEET just in case.

They suggest extra long stakes and it's a good idea. We also double staked the corners. It was breezy.

They only have cold showers which may not be what you are looking for.

Have a great time.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 AM

At Ocracoke...some are close but those seem to be the ones set up for RV use. If you have light reservations then you should be able to get some of the more choice spots giving enough room between tents but still close have friends nearby.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedanse View Post
We just camped there last week, at Ocracoke Campground. Very close to beach and being lulled to sleep by waves was great. Mosquitos were horrendous but I imagine they will be gone by October. Bring DEET just in case.

They suggest extra long stakes and it's a good idea. We also double staked the corners. It was breezy.

They only have cold showers which may not be what you are looking for.

Have a great time.

So coool to hear from someone just returning from the Island.

Walmart carries those solar shower bags, so I'm going to buy one of those to get a nice warm shower while on the Island. Deet is a definate staple in my bag of must haves. I will hurry and get the longer stakes from Amazon, since walmart only has the nine inch ones.

Thanks for the info. I'm sooooooo looking forward to my trip.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 AM

We used the 9 inch Walmart stakes and they held fast. Also did some extra staking on the fly.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Oh darn, wish I new the 9 inch were good enough, I already had those from Walmart. I went and ordered the 12 inch ones from Amazon yesterday. Well, at least I'll be extra secure.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 AM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
It's worth having the 12", it depends on the weather, not the sand.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I have plans to go camping at an Ocracoke campsite with an adventure group during the month of October. Has anyone ever camped out on the Island before? Is this a good time of year to be so adventurous? We will of course be listening in for weather forcast, but, aside from terrible weather preventing the trip from happening, I'm so looking forward to this trip. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has had some experience camping out on or in nearby areas.
Camping on the Outer Banks in October is awesome! I'm sure you'll have a great time, weather most likely will be good - October in NC generally is

Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Second stop after Ocracoke

And for my next trick, I will be following up my Ocracoke campout with two more. One of the Camp out paddle trips will be at Goose Creek in Washington, NC. Anyone ever camp there? I'll probably have to ask about that in another thread somewhere, but just in case might as well ask here too.

As far as the weather goes for any of my upcoming trips, I'm just going to be hopeful and optimistic, but I know it can go either way as nothing is guaranteed weather wise. If we end up having to cancel any of the trips and the one I'm most looking forward to "Ocracoke", I'll just read some beach dvds and pitch my tent at home and pretend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina